Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolford6

Yorkshire Day

23 posts in this topic

Yes its here again happy Yorkshire day even to those who were unfortunate to have been born outside the broad acres that is gods own County.

You should be happy to be alive when our great land exists. 

Yorkshire.

Worship us today. 

F*cking hell it's like the Bible belt at Christmas.

For the rest of us in the county, happy Yorkshire day. A no nonesense message to all.

What a shame I have to spend it (or any day for that matter) in Westhoughton. :(

HAPPY YORKSHIRE DAY!

yorkshire-flag-30-p.gif

yorkshire.jpg

Apparently there is an event in Skipton this year. http://www.yorkshireday2013.co.uk/

And some famous Yorkshirians have recorded a song called "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'At". Watch it here BBC.

As I'm from the South what exactly does that mean??! In English? The word "baht"... To be honest I didn't understand most of the words...

HAPPY YORKSHIRE DAY!

yorkshire-flag-30-p.gif

yorkshire.jpg

Apparently there is an event in Skipton this year. http://www.yorkshireday2013.co.uk/

And some famous Yorkshirians have recorded a song called "On Ilkla Moor Baht 'At". Watch it here BBC.

As I'm from the South what exactly does that mean??! In English? The word "baht"... To be honest I didn't understand most of the words...

On Ilkley Moor Without a Hat.

After that, mmmunno.

The Wikipedia page has lyrics and translations.

Happy Yorkshire Day to all my brethren fortunate enough to have been born in Gods own County.

The top of this page is a bit odd, "Yorkshire Day" with a Welsh flag next to it.

Bloody Wolford! :rolleyes:

The top of this page is a bit odd, "Yorkshire Day" with a Welsh flag next to it.

Bloody Wolford! :rolleyes:

Of course, originally, all of England  was ours. Tragedy about having to give up Yorkshire, but the rest was no great loss.

;):tongue:

The Wikipedia page has lyrics and translations.

AS Wikipedia says the tune was written for "While Shepherds Watched."  But I believe the words were first sung by a chapel choir outing to Dick Hudsons, a famous hostelry on the moors near Bingley.  Methodists may not drink but they weren't above an outing to a pub and a good feed.

Of course, originally, all of England  was ours. Tragedy about having to give up Yorkshire, but the rest was no great loss.

;):tongue:

Pen-y-gent, Elmet, Ledsham, Ledston and even Leeds are said to be derived from Celtic words.  Happy Yorkshire day!

Methodists may not drink but they weren't above an outing to a pub and a good feed.

Methodism is the predominant religion in Wales.

For most of my life, the beer in most Welsh pubs was really grim.

Maybe the Methodists had their reasons and were ahead of the game.

;)

Pen-y-gent, Elmet, Ledsham, Ledston and even Leeds are said to be derived from Celtic words.  Happy Yorkshire day!

Glasgow is derived from a Welsh name too.