Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boro hornet

Challange Cup Final Trip

61 posts in this topic

Yep, my favourite shirt logos have been "David McLean Homes" and "IN Salford". Very smart.

Touché mon ami! But..................

When we had "In Pinksville" on 'em I had it covered up, and it read "spelly.com"

Spelly.

Today's Rugby League players are quicker, fitter, and yes, BETTER, than when Keith and I were cutting our teeth on the terraces at Station Road!

Shirts without sponsors' logo(s) on? Nooooooooooooo way, they're far smarter with 'em on!

Spelly.

..."are quicker, fitter, and yes, BETTER..."

In my view this should say ..."are quicker, fitter but NOT BETTER - and that's for sure!

..."they're far smarter with 'em on!"

Come off it, how can a playing strip with sponsorship POLLUTION all over it be smarter? Quite the reverse surely must be true. How can anyone really honestly say teams look smarter these days than when players strutted their stuff in ultra smart jerseys bearing only a classy club badge and a number on the back? If that's the case, then you seriously need to go to Specsavers - and pretty damned quick!

Today's sponsored strips are sadly lacking in the dignity they once possessed, or is that a word (“dignity”) of little or no importance to some of you out there?

:codemafia:        :shout: 

I'm not sure where dignity comes into it but I agree that strips used to look much smarter without sponsors names on them.  But yet again times have changed so lets live with it.

Its a matter of opinion . There's no right or wrong

Old players v new players.

Sponsored shirts or plain shirts

Sweeping generalisations are just silly

I'm not sure where dignity comes into it but I agree that strips used to look much smarter without sponsors names on them.  

Many thanks DS for your vote of support.

"I'm not sure where dignity comes into it..."

One excellent example (of sporting sartorial dignity) springs to mind when a former Lion from the glory days of the '60s (I think it was Barry Simpson) told me how he loved turning out in the change strip (home matches then) of all white with a blue V as it made them “look like Great Britain". In other words, even more dignified (superior) than the usual blue with white V.

:tease:

Yes of course there are still are some good FOOTBALLERS out there, but I still maintain the basics of my point of view, that FOOTBALLERS are in a minority in the game today due to a general trend towards fielding highly tuned/trained muscular ATHLETES. And I believe many others see it this way too when they cast their minds back to how things used to be without them 'living in the past' as some would accuse.

I challenge anyone to watch highlights from some matches from years ago just to see what I’m talking about. I recommend the 1978 Leeds v St Helens final (see link below), generally considered a classic, which includes commentary by none other than ‘Uncle Eddie’ Waring as a bonus. (note how the absence of sponsorship on the players’ kit really makes them look unbelievably smart unlike today's horrors)

:bye:

Sorry Keith but I didnt see anything there that I don't see now......apart from some dodgy taches, numerous shredded wheat comb overs and a group of men who wouldnt pass a pre season fitness test nowadays!

I've just watched "Another Bloody Sunday", the documentary about Doncaster RL in 1979. Absolutely hilarious. And some proper athletes on show back then !!!

If any one is interested in the trip please get in touch with the Hornets office by this Friday on 01706 648004.All are welcome what ever your views on the game.