Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldcoaster

Man of steel for 2013?

52 posts in this topic

My choice would be between Danny brough and Danny Houghton but can see either Tomkins or charnley getting it. As for young player of the year it must be Ben crooks.

I think it's harsh to rule out wingers for this award, its like ruling out strikers for football awards.

That said, i dont think just scoring tries is enough. For a winger to take it they need to do more than fall over the line with the ball. They need to be doing the hard yards, scoring wonder tries, making try saving tackles etc.

O'Loughlin is a good shout, Tomkins will always be there.

From my team im not sure we have had a real standout - probably the three that impress me most at Wire this year are Higham, Waterhouse and Grix, and not sure any of these have been special enough.

As has been pointed out, the next 10weeks could decide it.

Agree completely, I seem to remember Goulding matching Richards for tries when Pat won MoS. Richards had so much extra to his game though, ran the ball as well as any second rower would do and his kciking was second to none.

As far as this season goes, I think it's between O'Loughlin and Brough. I'm a big fan of Farrell, but he's too much of a value added player for MoS. Gets through a phenomenal amount of work and very adept at breaking the line, but I just don't think he could be anything like as impressive if he was in a lesser team.

I'd probably say Danny Houghton. His work rate his unbelievable and I have yet to see a game where he hasn't delivered for Hull. Huge engine on him, and he leads by example week in, week out. Tops the majority of the stat charts, and as I say he is as consistent a player as their is in Super League in my opinion.

At Saints, I would have to say Walmsley. In a year where our more experienced forwards haven't shown up for the majority, he has adapted to brilliantly to Super League in my opinion. Nothing fancy; just hard solid work and hopefully with Walsh and a new Stand-Off at the club next season, we will be able to make a bit more of that. Huge future ahead of him.

Seeing as this has drifted into both Man of Steel and Player of the Year for your club, I'd have the top three for Man of Steel as;

James Roby, Kevin Sinfield, Rangi Chase...

Only joking...

Sean O'Loughlin, Danny Brough, Jamie Peacock ... with an honourable mention, or most improved award, to Danny Kirmond. If he carries on playing like he has (Sunday apart, hope he has a shocker) then I'd add him to make it a 4 way choice.

As for the Bulls player of the year up to now, I'd split it between Nick Scruton (who is returning to his best and would do a good job for England) and Elliot Kear, who still hasn't give up even though we didn't have a game last week, he's like a Duracell bunny.

If not Brough then Kirmond - who has been a legend this season IMO.

Seeing as this has drifted into both Man of Steel and Player of the Year for your club, I'd have the top three for Man of Steel as;

James Roby, Kevin Sinfield, Rangi Chase...

Only joking...

Sean O'Loughlin, Danny Brough, Jamie Peacock ... with an honourable mention, or most improved award, to Danny Kirmond. If he carries on playing like he has (Sunday apart, hope he has a shocker) then I'd add him to make it a 4 way choice.

As for the Bulls player of the year up to now, I'd split it between Nick Scruton (who is returning to his best and would do a good job for England) and Elliot Kear, who still hasn't give up even though we didn't have a game last week, he's like a Duracell bunny.

Funny how you joke about those names but in reality they are 3 of the first 4 names on the teamsheet in Steve McNamaras England squad.

Not sure Walmsley has done enough to win MOS, but I must say I have been impressed by him this year.

Compared to the rest of Saints powder puff pack, he runs strong, and is definitely a big enough lump to push on in the next few years.

LMS somehow seems to grab the headlines, but I like to see a prop who turns up to play all the time, not just when he feels like it.

Indeed, I think this has been the cause of much frustration during his time with us. If he regularly played as well as he did against Wigan a couple of weeks ago then he'd be an MoS contender himself.

Danny Kirmond is a great shout.

Funny how you joke about those names but in reality they are 3 of the first 4 names on the teamsheet in Steve McNamaras England squad.

I'm not laughing.

kirmond or brough 4 me both been on fire this season. Kirmonds form would see him start in the back row of any of the top sl clubs.

It must be the high standards that Tomkins sets that he isn't front and centre in the discussion. I know he has missed a few games, but 23 tries and 19 try assists in 16 games are phenomenal statistics.

Aside from the above, my front runners would be Brough, O'Loughlin, Kirmond and Houghton. Chase has also impressed again at times this year, but the Cas resurgence under Powell has arrived a bit late.

Crooks should win Young Player, but that's meant as no disrespect to a number of candidates at other clubs.

i think the top 5 this season have been:

brough

houghton

lunt

kirmond

charnley.

and the top 5 young players:

mellor

crooks

lineham

percival

walmsley.........

from my own club joey mellor has been outstanding all season missing just 1 game followed by the human wrecking ball that is phil joseph..

Glad to see Phil Joseph getting some good shouts, I always thought he had a lot of talent and was poorly used by Jon Sharp at the Giants

As for young player Escare is a good shout as is Theo Fages

Hmm, young player, dont think anyones recognised sutcliffe, he came in during leeds' injury crisis and has played really well for the rhinos, hes scored a few, made some really good tackles and some great assists

Either way, there are some great players being thrown up (and all English- proof that Aussies aren't superior in SL).

Hopefully the likes of Kirkmond, O'Loughlin and Houghton are selected for the World Cup

I think it's harsh to rule out wingers for this award, its like ruling out strikers for football awards.

That said, i dont think just scoring tries is enough. For a winger to take it they need to do more than fall over the line with the ball. They need to be doing the hard yards, scoring wonder tries, making try saving tackles etc.

O'Loughlin is a good shout, Tomkins will always be there.

From my team im not sure we have had a real standout - probably the three that impress me most at Wire this year are Higham, Waterhouse and Grix, and not sure any of these have been special enough.

As has been pointed out, the next 10weeks could decide it.

I agree that wingers are important, and there have been plenty of great wingers over the years who do their job consistently every week and I think Richards is a great winger for this reason, just as players like El Masri, Ettinghausen, Vainakolo have been too.

However wingers simply don't have enough influence on the way a game flows to win awards like this. A winger can't steer a team around the field or control pressure and possession, and most of their work is finishing off plays set up by others. A quality half or hooker has a bigger influence on the game, and should normally win these sort of awards, and usually command the biggest salaries.

IMO, there is too much focus on try-scorers and goal kickers in the English game, and not enough focus on the players who create the tries.

O'Loughlin   or even Jamie Peacock who has had an amazing season and with the injuries up front for Leeds has carried the forward line almost single handed and with his dodgy knee. 

I agree that wingers are important, and there have been plenty of great wingers over the years who do their job consistently every week and I think Richards is a great winger for this reason, just as players like El Masri, Ettinghausen, Vainakolo have been too.

However wingers simply don't have enough influence on the way a game flows to win awards like this. A winger can't steer a team around the field or control pressure and possession, and most of their work is finishing off plays set up by others. A quality half or hooker has a bigger influence on the game, and should normally win these sort of awards, and usually command the biggest salaries.

IMO, there is too much focus on try-scorers and goal kickers in the English game, and not enough focus on the players who create the tries.

not sure i agree with that - not many would vote for wingers.

Man of Steel presently for mine would be between Brough, Kirmond and Houghton. Young Player of the Year would be between Escare, Fages, Lineham and Crooks.

yes me and freaky used to cross swords in the old days, along with simac and hannibal

yes me and freaky used to cross swords in the old days, along with simac and hannibal

I used to like reading Hannibals posts when he used to rip into NE

I used to like reading Hannibals posts when he used to rip into NE

He's still on just uses a different name

He's still on just uses a different name

Hanibal top guy, loves the Aussies

Back on thread.

Brough, kirkmond and Higham for me

Higham and Houghton a toss of a coin, wires position in the league also nudges it.

I hope Houghton and Higham make the England squad, both deserve it and it'll help competition for places

As the award is voted for by the players I'd go for O'Loughlin.

Very respected by other players, 100% hard work and ability with never getting any headlines for it.

Admired by club coaches too.