Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Martyn Sadler

BT Sport launch - missed opportunity

83 posts in this topic

BT Sport launches its new service tonight at 6.00pm.

I've just tweeted to the effect that it has missed a great opportunity by not buying the rights to this autumn's Rugby League World Cup.

I genuinely believe that as a new provider it would have made great sense for them to acquire the rights to a World Cup tournament, virtually regardless of the sport, so that they could have demonstrated how well they can cover an event over six weeks.

Anyone who sympathises with that point may like to re-tweet, or add their own comments either here or on Twitter.

It wouldn't do BT Sport any harm to see how many people share that view.

If we don't make a noise, they won't hear us.

It's probably safe to say that those that those that are interested in your tweets probably already follow you Martyn.

I'm not interested in doing business with BT, and it may well have turned out to be a graveyard for the World Cup.

retweeted

What is disconcerting is the fact that they are just calling Union "Rugby".

Suffice to say that I will not be getting BT

BT Sport launches its new service tonight at 6.00pm.

I've just tweeted to the effect that it has missed a great opportunity by not buying the rights to this autumn's Rugby League World Cup.

I genuinely believe that as a new provider it would have made great sense for them to acquire the rights to a World Cup tournament, virtually regardless of the sport, so that they could have demonstrated how well they can cover an event over six weeks.

Anyone who sympathises with that point may like to re-tweet, or add their own comments either here or on Twitter.

It wouldn't do BT Sport any harm to see how many people share that view.

If we don't make a noise, they won't hear us.

Why on earth would you want the World Cup tucked away on a channel with very, very few viewers?

Why on earth would you want the World Cup tucked away on a channel with very, very few viewers?

Don't forget that if you have BT Broadband you get the sports channels free.

Quite a lot of people do have BT Broadband, I would guess.

Don't forget that if you have BT Broadband you get the sports channels free.

Quite a lot of people do have BT Broadband, I would guess.

Not many in the Hull area have access to BT.

You do know the majority of the WC will be on premier sports.

And I thought Mr Sadler was supposed to be the negative one round these parts!

You do know the majority of the WC will be on premier sports.

Numerically you are correct but the big games and all the England games are on the BBC, a great opportunity to showcase the spectacle and diversity within the RL world to the great British public.

On this occasion at least I agree with Martyn.

Numerically you are correct but the big games and all the England games are on the BBC, a great opportunity to showcase the spectacle and diversity within the RL world to the great British public.

So BT could of bought the same package that PS have bought without any great change to the viewing figures.

So BT could of bought the same package that PS have bought without any great change to the viewing figures.

I doubt they'd be room in their schedule after precious football and union and repeats. ;)

it is worth getting on BT's case about Rugby League again and again and again because one day the Sky rights expire.What's better, Sky paying what they want or two big hitters both putting in bids?

Thanks to all those who have re-tweeted my original tweet.

The World Cup would have been a great fit, both for BT Sport and for the World Cup itself.

With BT promoting its new service very strongly, it would have been great to see the World Cup being highlighted in that promotion.

And the World Cup would have been a great opportunity for BT Sport to do something unique with a major sporting event that it could have used to showcase its potential contribution to sport in general.

Its soccer coverage and even its rugby union coverage won't give it the same scope for doing that, as they will be tied to more conventional formats, and, in soccer at least, Sky will still be seen as the major players with all the best games.

i assume that BT Sport must have been approached about the World Cup. I would love to know how those discussions went.

It can be nothing other than closed minds on their side. Week in and week out RL gives Sky some of its best ratings, far outstripping club union and cricket. Why would anyone turn that down?

One thing that Rugby Union does have over us is the pull of sponsors. Their sponsors often pay Sky to sponsor the programmes and I assume that BT will be looking at this and hoping to get the Union sponsors to fill their advertising slots.

In RL we had Irn Bru for a couple of years - but actually during the breaks we don't get Heinz, Tetleys, Irn Bru, Foxy Bingo etc putting their ads round the RL programmes.

BT still can get rights to some matches. Premier only has exclusive rights to the Aus and NZ matches

BT look pretty serious about their TV. I think the key fact is that the pictures will come down your Open Reach owned telephone line so is available across the country. BT and Open Reach are both part of the same group. The Sky dish is old technology and can be affected by the weather. Sky may have to use Open Reach phone lines in the future......BT hold all the aces

I still find it slightly bemusing that people think that just because 'we' think RL is a great (if not the best) sport that everyone else does and broadcasters will be queuing up to buy the rights to games. Even our biggest broadcasting rights holder appear at times to just consider it as a 'filler'.

I still find it slightly bemusing that people think that just because 'we' think RL is a great (if not the best) sport that everyone else does and broadcasters will be queuing up to buy the rights to games. Even our biggest broadcasting rights holder appear at times to just consider it as a 'filler'.

On the TV point, our figures speak for themselves when compared to Aviva Premiership for example.