Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Martyn Sadler

BT Sport launch - missed opportunity

83 posts in this topic

BT look pretty serious about their TV. I think the key fact is that the pictures will come down your Open Reach owned telephone line so is available across the country. BT and Open Reach are both part of the same group. The Sky dish is old technology and can be affected by the weather. Sky may have to use Open Reach phone lines in the future......BT hold all the aces

Satellites have a greater capacity (number of channels) than cable, especially as far as numbers of HD channels are concerned.

For a lot of customers of BT sport the pictures will be over satellite.

I still find it slightly bemusing that people think that just because 'we' think RL is a great (if not the best) sport that everyone else does and broadcasters will be queuing up to buy the rights to games. Even our biggest broadcasting rights holder appear at times to just consider it as a 'filler'.

I must admit, I do find the whole TGG mantra a bit nauseating at times.

I must admit, I do find the whole TGG mantra a bit nauseating at times.

It is TGG though.

That's an actual fact.

Do we know if they even bid for RL? Perhaps with RL being a very strong working class sport, they thought that RL fans wouldnt stretch to paying for 3 subscriptions???? Or perhaps their top brass are corporate Union fans??

Glasgow and Edinburgh RU teams have this week secured record shirt sponsorship which puts BT Sport on the front of their jerseys although all of their games will be on Sky Sports. Turns out this is the only way BT Sport could get round a Sky "ban". I bet both teams are quite a draw in their comp?

Now wouldn't it be interesting if we had BT Sport Superleague exclusively live on Sky sports! I don't suppose anyone at the RFL has thought of this? I'm claiming 10% Thsg would see how much the RFL were in charge of the sport.

Glasgow and Edinburgh RU teams have this week secured record shirt sponsorship which puts BT Sport on the front of their jerseys although all of their games will be on Sky Sports. Turns out this is the only way BT Sport could get round a Sky "ban". I bet both teams are quite a draw in their comp?

Now wouldn't it be interesting if we had BT Sport Superleague exclusively live on Sky sports! I don't suppose anyone at the RFL has thought of this? I'm claiming 10% Thsg would see how much the RFL were in charge of the sport.

That's a great idea, p*** off the sport's biggest and most long established investor for the sake of a short term sponsorship deal from a start-up company in a historically volatile market. I can't see a flaw there.

Have to say I'm finding pretty much everything to do with BT Sport at the minute to be a major hassle and hardly worth it.

For a multi billion challenger to Sky they're so far off the pace.

That's a great idea, p*** off the sport's biggest and most long established investor for the sake of a short term sponsorship deal from a start-up company in a historically volatile market. I can't see a flaw there.

Have to agree actually, but BT Sport gives RL a bit of leaverage in future TV discussions. Hopefully SKY will reciprocate RL's "faith".

I know which I'd bet on being around in 5 years.

We have BT infinity broadband so rang up this morning to get BT sport for free when she asked is there anything you would like to add I said "yes jib rugby union off and get some Rugby league on" the welsh lady who was on the other end of the phone said she wished she could do that !! And that all feedback is passed on ha ha we've all got to do our bit haven't we :-)

Have to agree actually, but BT Sport gives RL a bit of leaverage in future TV discussions. Hopefully SKY will reciprocate RL's "faith".

I know which I'd bet on being around in 5 years.

Problem is loyalty gets you nowhere these days. People who nove round in jobs are always on significantly more than their loyal counterparts. RU shows no loyalty yet has all these broadcasters throwing money at them.

Problem is loyalty gets you nowhere these days. People who nove round in jobs are always on significantly more than their loyal counterparts. RU shows no loyalty yet has all these broadcasters throwing money at them.

Is that more to do with a large percentage of the RFU's income not being dependant on TV rights so they can have a stronger position in negotiations? 

Is that more to do with a large percentage of the RFU's income not being dependant on TV rights so they can have a stronger position in negotiations?

Bingo!

Partially, but I think the broadcasters view RU fans as the best customers in terms of advertisement potential due to them being generally wealthier

Yep that would be an advantage.   One of the reasons and probably the primary is that they have a hugely successful international representative game.   It is strategically important that we can build a strong representative aspect to our sport - we will always be 2nd fiddle and weaker unless we do.  

We may have a superior game (we believe) but we don't have a product anywhere near as good...... yet.

They have really good product... we just have a great game.  There is a major difference and its why RU currently have the greater appeal to broadcasters.

First ratings out on barb for B T sports and the first premier league game got 450,000 which was about what it was getting on ESPN so maybe despite all the promotion all they have picked up is their subscribers .

BT Sport 1

000's

1 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE (SAT 1130) 451

2 INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY (TUE 1915) 64

3 BT SPORT LIVE (SAT 1504) 43

4 FRENCH LIGUE 1 (SUN 1950) 43

5 BTSI (1) (THU 2807) 32

6 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE (MON 2001) 29

7 BAKER & KELLY'S V.S.P.O (FRI 1800) 22

8 SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (SUN 1845) 21

9 BT SPORTS PANEL (SAT 0930) 20

10 TOP 14 RUGBY (FRI 1900) 20

BT Sport 2

1 SCOTTISH PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (SAT 1200) 100

2 BT SPORT FILMS (TUE 2100) 24

3 UFC (SAT 2455) 22

4 BT SPORT FILMS (SAT 2800) 20

5 INTERNATIONAL RUGBY 7'S (SUN 1200) 19

6 CLASSIC BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE (MON 1401) 19

7 UFC (SAT 2300) 19

8 1/4 LIFE'S A PITCH (1) (TUE 1000) 13

9 UFC (SUN 2401) 12

10 BTSI (1) (SAT 2744)

Why?

So it would get into pubs, be in HD, be run with a decent budget and increase the target audience for rugby league.

plus more content..

i have bt sports and to be honest its filled with repeats of live football & repeats of their chatshows

having live sport (the nrl) friday,saturday,sunday & monday mornings ( plus repeats , nrl fulltime & nrl teams shows would fill valuable hours.....theres very little live sport to show between 6am & 12pm...

A

BT Sport 1

000's

1 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE (SAT 1130) 451

2 INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLY (TUE 1915) 64

3 BT SPORT LIVE (SAT 1504) 43

4 FRENCH LIGUE 1 (SUN 1950) 43

5 BTSI (1) (THU 2807) 32

6 BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE (MON 2001) 29

7 BAKER & KELLY'S V.S.P.O (FRI 1800) 22

8 SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL (SUN 1845) 21

9 BT SPORTS PANEL (SAT 0930) 20

10 TOP 14 RUGBY (FRI 1900) 20

BT Sport 2

1 SCOTTISH PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE (SAT 1200) 100

2 BT SPORT FILMS (TUE 2100) 24

3 UFC (SAT 2455) 22

4 BT SPORT FILMS (SAT 2800) 20

5 INTERNATIONAL RUGBY 7'S (SUN 1200) 19

6 CLASSIC BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE (MON 1401) 19

7 UFC (SAT 2300) 19

8 1/4 LIFE'S A PITCH (1) (TUE 1000) 13

9 UFC (SUN 2401) 12

10 BTSI (1) (SAT 2744)

Very similar to any E S P N ratings you can find on barb the vast majority of subscribers watching premier league games and not interested in the other content despite all the hype and advertising.