Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IM2

Widnes should be dropped from SL and have failed

57 posts in this topic

but the fact is that this has happened to many clubs in many sports. my view is the game needs to take more responsibility for the game at the top level in London. if you think about it the Broncos and the other Champ sides in London get very little help from HQ. NO marketing, limited PR, no recognition of the fact no northern based player of any note will move to london for a fair cost, people dont even know the CC or the WC is happening. if my company was to set up a new business in New York we wouldnt give it the same resources as our established business it would get 'investment' disproportionate to ensure it grows and succeeds. london's success and failure is down to all of us rather than some poor bloke who is losing loads of money and getting it in the neck by everyone.

London Broncos are not a branch office belonging to the RFL with Wigan and Leeds as regional offices.

London Broncos are one business and Leeds is another.

Each club is responsible for marketing itself.

The WC and CC is, however, the RFL's job. As is the grassroots of the game (both heartlands and elsewhere).

Good post!If the other SL clubs want a presence in London they should be prepared to sacrifice something for it! How about each of them taking £100K less from Sky, so that the London club gets £1.3M more? £1M could go towards an increased salary cap for them, so that they can attract the best players, and £300K to subsidise admission prices so that locals can be virtually dragged in for free. Gradually reduce this funding over 5 years, and if they cannot maintain success thenpull the plug and forget about London forever.

It might seem an odd suggestion from a Fev fan, but my club had to forego a Super League place for them in '95, yet no-one else is prepared to sacrifice anything to make them a success!

The cold hard fact is that sides like Bradford, Wakefield, Castleford, Widnes, Hull KR etc can't afford to take 100k less. I doubt that Leeds, Wigan, Hull or Wire wish to do so either.

London Broncos are not a branch office belonging to the RFL with Wigan and Leeds as regional offices.

London Broncos are one business and Leeds is another.

Each club is responsible for marketing itself.

The WC and CC is, however, the RFL's job. As is the grassroots of the game (both heartlands and elsewhere).

problem with this logic is that each of those clubs benefit from all the HQ activities such marketing, sales, development, player development is all Northern centric so i totally disagree its up to the clubs alone. the competitions and the RL brand is the HQs not broncos, but no one does that job here. not only are the broncos, skolars, hemel etc marketing themselves but they also are marketing the game as well. the rfl dont do anything in london mktg wise.

for point of reference Melbourne receive a massive deal compared to sydney clubs. this includes money, promotion, origin games, internationals and is a 3 or 5 year deal. i cant remember exactly. interestingly it was up for renogatiaton last year and i think it was increased. it certainly isnt the same. dont forget all RLs activity and awareness is northern. no one has a clue in london and its not the clubs job to promote the game alone.

problem with this logic is that each of those clubs benefit from all the HQ activities such marketing, sales, development, player development is all Northern centric so i totally disagree its up to the clubs alone. the competitions and the RL brand is the HQs not broncos, but no one does that job here. not only are the broncos, skolars, hemel etc marketing themselves but they also are marketing the game as well. the rfl dont do anything in london mktg wise.

for point of reference Melbourne receive a massive deal compared to sydney clubs. this includes money, promotion, origin games, internationals and is a 3 or 5 year deal. i cant remember exactly. interestingly it was up for renogatiaton last year and i think it was increased. it certainly isnt the same. dont forget all RLs activity and awareness is northern. no one has a clue in london and its not the clubs job to promote the game alone.

Tbh if the RFL does any marketing of the SL brand in the north then I've never noticed it. What do you think they do?

The expansion of the game at grassroots outside the heartlands is a separate issue from Broncos. The RFL should fund it as much as possible (I know that there have been cutbacks) whether or not Broncos exist as a SL side. I have no knowledge of a breakdown of their spending per region so can't comment on whether the current set-up is "fair" or not.

I know Melbourne get more money than Sydney clubs but the NRL is a different beast from SL. Clubs don't compete in quite the same way because there is no relegation. I also don't hear much about this-or-that club nearly going to the wall, whereas recently very many SL clubs have been in trouble. The NRL can afford to pay Queensland and NSW sides less and Melbourne more but the SL simply can't afford to do the same. This is why we're moving from 14 clubs to 12; it's a case of rationing.

The cold hard fact is that sides like Bradford, Wakefield, Castleford, Widnes, Hull KR etc can't afford to take 100k less. I doubt that Leeds, Wigan, Hull or Wire wish to do so either.

Yes they can, because they will have one less top quality player to pay..... London will have them! It's ok to keep them in Super League at the expense of the plebs, but if you want them there you have to sacrifice something yourselves.If you're not prepared to do that you shouldn't give them preferential treatment over other clubs