Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

French Players who have been part of the English Game

79 posts in this topic

I remember someone saying about Greseque that he preferred to be the big fish in the small bowl than the small fish in the ocean, which may explain why he never really reached full potential.

AFAIK he wanted to stay semi-pro as he was a law graduate and didn't wish to give up a potentially lucrative profession.

Prior to joining SL, Crusaders had a French lad who had played American football for Carolina Panthers. Forget his name - something like Phillipe Gaudens I think. 

Prior to joining SL, Crusaders had a French lad who had played American football for Carolina Panthers. Forget his name - something like Phillipe Gaudens I think.

Ah yes, I remember him! Philippe Gardent was his name.

In the early 90s there were two French lads at Huddersfield that I remember.  A fullback called Laurent Lucchese and a winger called Pierre Jammes.

I wonder where have all these former French RL players ended up?

re they coaching in France? helping to develop rugby a XIII ?

im sure Regis Pastrie-Courtine was coaching junior RL in France. I seem to remember the SKY RL team pointing him out in the crowd one evening when a young french team were touring and had gone to watch a SKY game. At least i think it was Regis.

bakary diabira...bradford northern

fabien devecchi.......widnes

adel fellous..........widnes

Wasn't Diabira Fijian?

Yacine Dekkiche played (briefly) for Huddersfield, before switching codes.

Wasn't Diabira Fijian?

sure he was french

Some good memories on here of some good players.

...and more of them than I thought there'd been, too.

I think Bak Diabira was from Bradford.

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure he joined from Constable Youth Club in Hull, so he may have been born there.

I think Bak Diabira was from Bradford.

Wasn't Diabira Fijian?

sure he was french

Don't think so. I'm pretty sure he joined from Constable Youth Club in Hull, so he may have been born there.

Born in Bordeaux to an English mother (from Hull) and Senegalese father.

Christ, don't tell McNamara.

:D

Funnily enough, I've just checked the Digiplanet Bradford Bulls page and they [for some reason] have Bak down with a South African flag at the side of his name. I'd go along with yours a being the most likely. Putting in the name on Google does bring up a surprising number of people with that name though, even one currently living in Bradford.......

Banquet works for the town council in Carcassonne & wil coach the ASC Junior team next season. He's being playing low level union at Trebes last couple of years. Divet has been living in Carcassonne but not seen him around of late. Lived grew up I think in Sydney as youngster. Manly may be. Lucchese is also living in Carcassonne & was assistant coach/trainer at Limoux last year.

Couturier back in second or third spell at Toulouse Olympique. Playing back row these days I think. Has had spells playing union. Was member of that super TOXIII team who reached the CCsemis in 2005 and only one who travelled across the Channel with Justin Morgan.

Rated Dekkiche a lively three quarter who played at Avignon. Played top level union at La Rochelle.

Gigot who played Academy at Quins now reserve grade at Cronulla Sharks. Always ambitious to improve his game. Martins great wandering talent Hull KR, Leigh, Whitehaven now in Canberra playing country footy. Only if.

Berthezene should be lead part in Palau's rise to Elite 1 here from September. Tamghart played in Avignons Cup win last May. Still playing with no socks! Tallec went to play union at Toulon before they became big. Still in those parts I think. Involved with launch of a new treize team at Federal level. Going OK too & promoted to N1 for new season.

Jean Marc Garcia played for Sheffield.

Saw him at Ponte Carlo races last Sunday. Over here visiting sunny Yorkshire.

Regis Pastre started on the wing for Batley, then must have bulked up a bit, since I later saw him playing at Prop for Paris SG versus London at Charlton FC!

Dave Hadfield mentions this in his XIII Winters book in the chapter about Blackpool's promotion season in 78/79. After Blackpool, Bak went to Keighley.

...and more of them than I thought there'd been, too.

yeah thought the same. I had about 7 off the top of my head!!