Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

French Players who have been part of the English Game

79 posts in this topic

A pitty Dumas never played over here.

Indeed; a classy little player.

I'm sure I remember a prop playing a few games for Sheffield in the late 90', texido I think his name was?

How many of the Paris squads have been named so far?!

To be honest the only French players I can remember was a good little winger called pascal bonati, who went to French rugby union and prop or second row didier cabastany.

I'm sure I remember a prop playing a few games for Sheffield in the late 90', texido I think his name was?

Freddie Teixido. On the board at Limoux these days.

Indeed; a classy little player.

Absolutely!  He also smashed my next door neighbour's nose and then offered him a contract at St Gaudens.

A lovely man to boot.

Is it also worth starting a thread on current UK / Antipodean players who have recently graced the French game?

Can remember a french back rower/loose forward from the mid 90's.. cant recall his name but remember him playing against Australia, over in Oz and doing reasonably well in an easily beaten French team. He was of North African decent and was apparently a body guard by profession.. had a pony tail.. can't for the life of me remember his name!..

Can remember a french back rower/loose forward from the mid 90's.. cant recall his name but remember him playing against Australia, over in Oz and doing reasonably well in an easily beaten French team. He was of North African decent and was apparently a body guard by profession.. had a pony tail.. can't for the life of me remember his name!..

Bit of a beast, taking it to the Kangaroo forwards while the rest of the team wilted. Shame he didn't stay in the game longer.

To be honest the only French players I can remember was a good little winger called pascal bonati, who went to French rugby union and prop or second row didier cabastany.

I saw him play RU once. Interestingly, on the opposing side was Salesi Finau, another code-switcher who'd once played for (I think) Warrington.

Salesi Finau, another code-switcher who'd once played for (I think) Warrington.

Prop for Warrington, winger for Llanelli.

:D

Ah PSG!

1st game v Sheffield with ten French men, a Pole, a Kiwi,a Tongan,a Moldovan & three Aussies. Was it...

Lucchese

Bomati

Banquet

Chamorin

Piscunov

Entat

Brown

Cabastany

Kacala

Adams

Pech

Subs

Sands

Torreilles

Turner

coach - Mazare ass coach Ellis

The French Federation President was quoted,"Paris was like a beautiful women, very attractive but making increasing demands the more time you spent with her!"

Off the top of my head I can think of nine Frenchmen who played for Sheffield

Jerome Vincent

David Fraisse

Jean Marc Garcia

Laurent Lucchese (pronounced Luck-ay-zee)

Freddie Banquet

Freddie Teixido

Alex Doutres

Sylvain Houles

Yacine Dekkiche

Full back Jeremy Guiraud and half back Mourad Kriouche from Carcassonne played at Skolars.

Also Amar Sabri had spells at Hull Academy and Whitehaven.

Ah PSG!

1st game v Sheffield with ten French men, a Pole, a Kiwi,a Tongan,a Moldovan & three Aussies. Was it...

Lucchese

Bomati

Banquet

Chamorin

Piscunov

Entat

Brown

Cabastany

Kacala

Adams

Pech

Subs

Sands

Torreilles

Turner

coach - Mazare ass coach Ellis

The French Federation President was quoted,"Paris was like a beautiful women, very attractive but making increasing demands the more time you spent with her!"

Wasn't Vincent Wulf the hooker?

I think he was!  Audois should know that as he went to his retirement do (version 17) last year.

Wasn't Vincent Wulf the hooker?

Yes, he was. Definitely.

Born in Bordeaux to an English mother (from Hull) and Senegalese father.

That is probably true, although at the time he signed for Northern I think the T & A described him as being of French Algerian heritage. The T & A don't get everything right, and the Constable Youth Club bit is definitely correct. He spoke with a Hull accent.

I seem to remember some debate around him not being able to return to France (eg if selected for an international) because he would have been conscripted for National Service.

Bak had wonderful handling skills but lacked size, pace and mongrel.

Regis Pastre started on the wing for Batley, then must have bulked up a bit, since I later saw him playing at Prop for Paris SG versus London at Charlton FC!

I bumped into Regis after our game at Toulouse in 2010. He'd turned up with his wife and kids to catch up with some old faces from the club. Don't remember him playing on the wing for us, though - he was a second rower during his time at Batley and then played as a wingman for Paris some years later. Very talented, but never really had much of a chance to prove himself in England.

That is probably true, although at the time he signed for Northern I think the T & A described him as being of French Algerian heritage. The T & A don't get everything right, and the Constable Youth Club bit is definitely correct. He spoke with a Hull accent.

I seem to remember some debate around him not being able to return to France (eg if selected for an international) because he would have been conscripted for National Service.

This talk of Diabira has finally got me to buy a copy of XIII Winters*, which I've been meaning to get for ages. Chapter 1 is about Blackpool, written with a total lack of bias** by Dave Hadfield and he also praises Bak's handling but points out his recurring knee problems, especially at that late period in his career.

* 1p plus postage, bought second-hand.

**yeah, right!  :D

His handling skills would have made the Harlem Globetrotters look shabby - and they rehearsed their moves...

Vincent Banet played at Workington didn't he?  Now on the coaching staff at ASC.

Are the Bentley boys playing in the Championship at the mo?

Vincent Banet played at Workington didn't he?  Now on the coaching staff at ASC.

Are the Bentley boys playing in the Championship at the mo?

Yes, one at Dewsbury the other at Oxford with another of the Bentley family; Valu.