Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIGGY

Swinton

200 posts in this topic

We have been lucky by not getting relegated the last couple of seasons, our luck had to run out sometime, it's just the way that most players couldnt be arsed to turn up for games.

The fat lady may be tuning up John but it's not over until she sings!!!!

I did tell you all at the start of the season, and was beaten back by misguided optimism.

Shall i start the chant off for you?

Thornton Out!

Realistically you can't go all season without winning an away game and expect to stay up. We are not just loosing to the bottom teams, we are getting stonked.

Commiserations to York tonight, especially the fans who made the trip over to LSV.

Swinton wanted that game far more than your boys and it showed although when you waltzed in in the first few minutes I was a tad worried but after that we played a near faultless first half and took command of the game.

With a little more composure and thinking in the second half you could easily have made it a closer game as you did start to make some good breaks as we seemed to ties, one example was when you broke through and had the lad looked to his left on a one on one you would have scored easily instead he ran at Hawkyard who wrapped him up nicely.

Good luck in the fight you are now clearly in I hope you manage to stay up but your player will need to perform with much more heart than tonight. Also I have to say that was the smallest pack I have seen all season which again didn't help you.

Pathetic result, something badly a miss at the club, all the other teams around us fighting for their lives and we appear to be a sinking ship, players and coach must stand up and be counted, not confident in staying up now, we appear to be in freefall and have no heart or desire for the win.

Far cry from the early days of the knights and so disheartening to see it all fading away.

Marshy1

Smallest pack you have seen all season, I agree, we are simply not physical enough at this level, nor do we have any mongrel in our side with a bit of an edge, most packs this season have caused us problems up the middle, we knew it at the start of the season yet did nothing about it ! Poor signings, inexperienced squad we are heading where we deserve to be I'm afraid. Players might be happy picking up winning money next season, not sure it will be in a knights shirt though as can only see the fans drifting away.

Gutted by performances this season, I used to look forward to matches, now it feels like a chore.

Marshy1

Smallest pack you have seen all season, I agree, we are simply not physical enough at this level, nor do we have any mongrel in our side with a bit of an edge, most packs this season have caused us problems up the middle, we knew it at the start of the season yet did nothing about it ! Poor signings, inexperienced squad we are heading where we deserve to be I'm afraid. Players might be happy picking up winning money next season, not sure it will be in a knights shirt though as can only see the fans drifting away.

Gutted by performances this season, I used to look forward to matches, now it feels like a chore.

Stick with em Andy...it's times like this when the club needs fans like you, we aren't out of trouble yet but we stand a fighting chance.

Marshy1

Stick with em Andy...it's times like this when the club needs fans like you, we aren't out of trouble yet but we stand a fighting chance.

When Gary was in charge at Batley, my friends and I used to combat the endless soul-destroying performances by getting literally blind drink at every game and creating our own amusement. In fact, I can count the number of full games we saw under his tenure on one hand as we always arrived at the ground with around 10 minutes of the game gone - having downed a quick late pint in order to further numb the inevitable suffering. This approach will hit you in the wallet but you'll certainly have a great time. I've supported Batley for over 25 years, and the appalling Thornton era was packed with some of the favourite drunken memories of my youth. On a positive note, he has a habit of pulling things out of the bag at the tail end of an otherwise poor season, so all's not lost for you guys yet :-) You do have some remaining games that are eminently winnable.

Now that I have had time to calm down, a few thoughts:

1) This club has not been the same since the "Leeds" incident that saw marshy effectively sacked. Whatever happened, the chairman should have backed his coach and players to the hilt, with any telling off in private. Instead we got player suspensions and our season in tatters. This shows a lack of respect by the club towards its players and its fans.

2) No Hull players have been made available since Brisco's injury. Are Hull players covered by their medical insurance when playing for York, because I don't think York have any insurance in place. ie. Nicko having to pay for his own surgery. This may have caused a rethink at Hull. As for our own, if you don't look after the players, how you expect them to play heart and soul for you.

3) Who is on the board of directors these days, because we need some money men and some people who know how to run a professional sports team.

Rant over.

Lost for words after that, but don't agree with some of the garbage on here.

Seen this morning what GT had to say to the media afterwards, about time 1 or 2 of our senior players

actually came out & explained to us some of the decisions they made last night, you know, the players

who are actually supposed to leading & helping our young side...

How can we play so well against Fev and Fax, then play like we did last night and many other games?, there's something wrong and the fans are getting fed up with it and not turning up like they used to and you cant blame them.

Watson guided Swinton around the park John, Brown didnt, for the money hes on i would expect far more although the reverse kick for Carr to make a mess of 6 points was top class.Where was Sully last night?

Watson guided Swinton around the park John, Brown didnt, for the money hes on i would expect far more although the reverse kick for Carr to make a mess of 6 points was top class.Where was Sully last night?

Sully's injured, looks like he's played his last game for us as he's retiring at the end of the season and boy are we missing him, cant believe were paying Brown that kind of money, not getting value for money with him.

Very easy to shoot from the hip as a fan when one is hurt by your team's performance(s).

We look like a team that has just run out of juice - perhaps a season of playing and competing with certain teams that are of a higher standard has taken it's toll. Perhaps the string of narrow defeats has done damage to the side's inner core. OK, I hear you - 'We beat Featherstone', true, but I put that down to the giant-killer scenario on a one-off, on the day, basis.

Only two of our backs played to the standard they are capable of last night and the injury to Joe Picketts seemed to affect our defence and the rest of the pack bar Matt Nic and Jack Lee, though Jack's input is tempered, these days, by teams having worked out what he does.

GT would seem to be disillusioned with the whole DR experience, and rightly so - it's been a bag of spanners bar Brissy - and the 'support' from Hull and has thrown his faith into what would appear to be battle-weary and, in some cases, beaten-up youngsters.

One notable fact about last night was that Swinton included a player who has been in the 'ams' for Leeds club Queens for a few seasons and he looked, at times, absolute class. Still think that as a club we lack something in the scouting of players.

We seem to have, once more this season, been bedevilled by injuries to key players and some terrible officiating ( Liner on main stand side in the first half last night was as blind as a bat ) but that's only part of the tale.

The recent defeats have sucked confidence from the team from where I sit and the coach faces a massive task to instil an energy and fire into his players to be able to beat Hunslet - a game which might be last chance saloon. Certainly think that the losers on that day are gone into C1.

I walked back to the car last night having just interviewed Gary, in a very reflective mood ( in fact, I was mentally miles away ) having watched the manner of the defeat. I was actually walking alongside Sam Scott (my Knights player of the season), oblivious to the fact that he was there initially, but finally realised and uttered an odd response 'Are you alright ?', looked at Sam's face and the pain and draining effect of the outcome was plainly etched there.

Wont be at the Hunslet game due to wedding commitments in Spain but will doubtless experience a very fidgety Sunday afternoon...

Come on the Knights..

Now that I have had time to calm down, a few thoughts:

1) This club has not been the same since the "Leeds" incident that saw marshy effectively sacked. Whatever happened, the chairman should have backed his coach and players to the hilt, with any telling off in private. Instead we got player suspensions and our season in tatters. This shows a lack of respect by the club towards its players and its fans.

2) No Hull players have been made available since Brisco's injury. Are Hull players covered by their medical insurance when playing for York, because I don't think York have any insurance in place. ie. Nicko having to pay for his own surgery. This may have caused a rethink at Hull. As for our own, if you don't look after the players, how you expect them to play heart and soul for you.

3) Who is on the board of directors these days, because we need some money men and some people who know how to run a professional sports team.

Rant over.

1) We did the right thing there. The coach was an idiot. Not that it has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with where we are as a club now like...

2) Matt didn't pay for his own surgery, it was via the clubs policy which the players voluntarily contribute to. Cost of insurance would be impossible to meet without some contribution from them.

Hull players are covered by Hull's insurance when the play for us.

3) There's a share issue just been announced. You can be a shareholder if you want, details are in the match programmes.

1) We did the right thing there. The coach was an idiot. Not that it has ANYTHING AT ALL to do with where we are as a club now like...

2) Matt didn't pay for his own surgery, it was via the clubs policy which the players voluntarily contribute to. Cost of insurance would be impossible to meet without some contribution from them.

Hull players are covered by Hull's insurance when the play for us.

3) There's a share issue just been announced. You can be a shareholder if you want, details are in the match programmes.

Right then Simon, as you see to be well informed with the ins and outs of the club, I'm going to play devil's advocate, do you know if any of the monies raised by the share issue will be used to settle the legal bills from the Woods case? 

Right then Simon, as you see to be well informed with the ins and outs of the club, I'm going to play devil's advocate, do you know if any of the monies raised by the share issue will be used to settle the legal bills from the Woods case? 

I don't know, although if the club expect supporters to part with their money to pay legal bills I think they'll be disappointed. 

I don't know, although if the club expect supporters to part with their money to pay legal bills I think they'll be disappointed.

Or put it another way, will the monies raised by the share issue be used to supplement a greatly reduced playing budget caused by the payment of legal bills from the Woods case?

As an aside, keep an eye on the Knights page in Saturday's Press. You guys have helped me write the column, so thanks...

As an aside, keep an eye on the Knights page in Saturday's Press. You guys have helped me write the column, so thanks...

My invoice is in the post..........

Unfortunately Brown only has a long kicking game.....he rarely scores throughout a season and never takes on the line....I noticed again last night he was not tackled once in the entire game...... Johnson on the other hand tried to take the swinton defence on every time he got the ball

In other news, Hitler has invaded Poland...

For what it's worth I'm going to have my two penneth.... I had a conversation with my mum at the weekend and she said that once over I would've moved my wedding date if it clashed with a York RL match and she was right... Now however I am falling out of love with the club.. Why?? Because I don't have faith in or believe the executive committee anymore.. I don't think they have ambition and I think this is now being dragged down to the playing level.. We play the same old one up garbage no matter who is coach, have the old moments of brilliance during a match but blow out of steam.. Are we looking for yes men who'll 'do the right thing' and keep us plodding on or do we want coaches and players with fight and fire in their belly who'll turn us into a half decent team with a chance?? I know I'll get shot down in flames by those 'loyal' to the regime, but I feel change needs to happen and fast..

Unfortunately Brown only has a long kicking game.....he rarely scores throughout a season and never takes on the line....I noticed again last night he was not tackled once in the entire game...... Johnson on the other hand tried to take the swinton defence on every time he got the ball

PA, when Browney was moved closer to the action in the second half instead of of being used out on the edges, the Knights looked a better side. Don't get me wrong, there is an air of 'underachieved' about both our number 6 and the whole team this season but he's not the only reason we are under the cosh. Now then, let me think... James Webster, hardly got tackled in a season, never mind a game, but what a player !