Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pottsy

The one thing I really don't get about London....

57 posts in this topic

David Hughes has pumped an absolute fortune into the club (hats off to him), year on year, yet he tolerates poor appointments/ performance and inept management and has allowed the club to drift aimlessly for years.

If it was my cash I'd want to know it was being used well.

It makes you wonder how he has been so successful in business.

David Hughes has pumped an absolute fortune into the club (hats off to him), year on year, yet he tolerates poor appointments/ performance and inept management and has allowed the club to drift aimlessly for years.

If it was my cash I'd want to know it was being used well.

It makes you wonder how he has been so successful in business.

Depends what you mean by "successful in business" really. To my knowledge he's never run a business. He's an oil and gas trader, and a very god one too judging by the firm he's a partner in.

But, you're right about the rest of it. I have no idea how or why he tolerates such a shocking state of affairs. He must have dumped something like 15 million into the club by now. 

How come he's never chosen to appoint a coach who has a decent track record of success? I'm not saying that someone such as Kear or Noble would have brought massive success, but perhaps they'd have been in a position of relative stability now?

That side of things has always baffled me. They've spent the full salary cap for years (not that you'd know it) but seem to cut massive corners with other appointments.

They've spent the full salary cap for years (not that you'd know it)

This point has been addressed many times before - the quality of RL player you can get in London won't be anywhere near as high as a player you can get for the equivalent value up north.

Maybe he should of bought his own ground first and then let the Bronco's move in and that would of been a win-win for him.

Maybe DH shouldn't being making the decisions on how the club is run.. maybe he should employ someone who knows what they are doing and let him/her run the club properly.. 

This point has been addressed many times before - the quality of RL player you can get in London won't be anywhere near as high as a player you can get for the equivalent value up north.

Everyone knows this but clubs on vastly inferior budgets ( eg, Wakefield) regularly outperform them.

Everyone knows this but clubs on vastly inferior budgets ( eg, Wakefield) regularly outperform them.

Yes but how inferior? Given that average house prices in London are over 3x what they are in Yorkshire or the North West, you could argue that a club operating on 50% of the salary cap could still attract higher quality players than London...

There is still a lot of ignorance about London as a place from many northerners. If I was single and a few years younger I would be there like a shot, there is a great culture and many many lovely looking ladies.

Yes but how inferior? Given that average house prices in London are over 3x what they are in Yorkshire or the North West, you could argue that a club operating on 50% of the salary cap could still attract higher quality players than London...

Clubs like Wakey and Salford reportedly barely break the £1m mark.

Tart it up however you like but the truth is, regardless of the cost of living etc, London haven't got value for money from their playing budget and at least some of the blame has to be directed toward the coaching/management of the club.

That side of things has always baffled me. They've spent the full salary cap for years (not that you'd know it) but seem to cut massive corners with other appointments.

Have they?

I understood that this was the first year that they had done so.

There is still a lot of ignorance about London as a place from many northerners. If I was single and a few years younger I would be there like a shot, there is a great culture and many many lovely looking ladies.

I moved to London when my office in Manchester closed 21 years ago.

It is the best thing I ever did apart from missing decent Rugby League that is!

I

8m people already live in London so you'd have thought London Broncos ought to have been able to rustle up 13 of them to make a decent team.

I imagine there are lots of people in London who earn less than they would if they played for the Broncos, and as RL players usually come form the rough end of town, it really shouldn't be that hard.

The club have made some awful decisions on players and coaches and have got what their mis-management deserves.

Plenty of peopl move to work in London with basic London weighting. IIRC there is an additional 10% allowance on the cap, this is enough.

Instead of a 10% London Weighting, what I'd suggest is that every club in SL is allowed to pay their top 25 players the average cost of a rental property in that town. That would be on top of the salary cap. So if, at December 2013, the average cost of a property in town X is 10 grand, then the club would be allowed to pay 250 grand to their squad for the 2014 season. 

But that's a side issue really, the club has been badly run for many years.

Plenty of peopl move to work in London with basic London weighting. IIRC there is an additional 10% allowance on the cap, this is enough.

IMO 10% is not enough.

IMO 10% is not enough.

maybe not for you, but i know plenty of people who have moved to work in london for less than 10%

maybe not for you, but i know plenty of people who have moved to work in london for less than 10%

So do I but it's not enough to take the higher cost of living out of the equation.

But IMO whilst it is an interesting theoretical point, it would have made little difference to Bronquins. AFAIK this is the only season where they have claimed to be paying the full cap.

And were they all professional Rugby League players? If not, then I'm not sure your point is relevant. There are numerous reasons why people may choose to move to London. The issue here is that if you are a pro Rugby League player, are you more likely to choose to move to London to earn 50k, or are you more likely to stay in Yorkshire or the North West where living costs are significantly lower and the same amount of money will go considerably further?

Indeed. People I've known who moved to London did so because of its superior employment possibilities. That's something that is not remotely true of RL in London. There are more jobs in RL in the north.

If so much money has been spent by savy business men, has the marketing budget been large enough and used effectively?

There are a great many northerners and Aussies living in London and an untapped 8 million population, if a city in the north can

provide 10,000 fans from 250,000 residents then this should equate to 320,000 of 8 million.

I'm begining to think that our product cannot be as good as we think it is, Londoners obviously enjoy there sport and their soccer grounds are bulging

with people dying to see a nil nil draw or a thrashing from the mancs. 

If so much money has been spent by savy business men, has the marketing budget been large enough and used effectively?

There are a great many northerners and Aussies living in London and an untapped 8 million population, if a city in the north can

provide 10,000 fans from 250,000 residents then this should equate to 320,000 of 8 million.

I'm begining to think that our product cannot be as good as we think it is, Londoners obviously enjoy there sport and their soccer grounds are bulging

with people dying to see a nil nil draw or a thrashing from the mancs. 

WHat marketing budget? Ever since Richard Branson owned the club they've adopted the 'build it and they will come' philosophy. Which is nonsense, because it doesn't matter how many games you win if no-one knows you exist. Going back into the mists of time Jim Dymock, Jason Hetherington and Richie Barnett were fantastic signings for the club, but what good is that if no b*gger knows about them? That still applies today.

I have to say that if I could get the same job back in Warrington for 9.1% less money (ie removing a nominal 10% weighting) with no adverse effect on career prospects I'd almost certainly take it. My brother got a 3 bedroom house for half the price of my 2 bedroom place.