Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

owls

Rugby League stadiums

154 posts in this topic

For me, im not a fan of the "modern" all seater stadiums, a lot have no soul or atmosphere.

Suppose the game has to move with the times, but its a sad state of affairs that a lot of clubs now rent these super stadiums to play there, instead of owning their own ground as they used to do - wonder why this has never been factored in to the RFLs masterplan for criteria to play at the top level? Id have thought owning your own bricks and mortar would be top of the list.

Im a Batley fan and love the fact we own our own little ground, with all its history and the legendary slope still there as it was 130 odd years ago.

For me, im not a fan of the "modern" all seater stadiums, a lot have no soul or atmosphere.

Suppose the game has to move with the times, but its a sad state of affairs that a lot of clubs now rent these super stadiums to play there, instead of owning their own ground as they used to do - wonder why this has never been factored in to the RFLs masterplan for criteria to play at the top level? Id have thought owning your own bricks and mortar would be top of the list.

Im a Batley fan and love the fact we own our own little ground, with all its history and the legendary slope still there as it was 130 odd years ago.

The Batley management did a great job a few years ago getting all kinds of grant money to upgrade their ground and did just that. It's now a fine little ground but before it was a decaying dump of the worst kind even if the club did own it.

The mystery to me is that Batley, despite being a consistent top five championship club winning the Northern rail Cup and several times scaring the c##p out of SL teams in the Challenge cup can't even get to the 1000 mark in gates.The quality of rugby played by their team deserves better spectator support.

I can't understand why the Bulls don't share Odsal with Bradford Park Avenue, who play in a council athletics stadium.

It's stupid not to tie in with a football club. Mike Atherton said this week that Old Trafford Cricket Ground now offers a hotel plus parking for Man U games. He said that Lancashire CCC made more from football fans than from county/one-day cricket.

instead of owning their own ground as they used to do

1.  Why have your money tied up in an old stadium that needs money to maintain, thats need money set on one side to upgrade and update,  when you could be using that money to develop the success of your club?

2. There is a history in sport of owners and directsr buying the groukdna and then selling it for housing, Swinton used to own Station Road.....sold for housing, then there was Central Park..and I am sure there are other examples

I can't understand why the Bulls don't share Odsal with Bradford Park Avenue, who play in a council athletics stadium.

It's stupid not to tie in with a football club. Mike Atherton said this week that Old Trafford Cricket Ground now offers a hotel plus parking for Man U games. He said that Lancashire CCC made more from football fans than from county/one-day cricket.

To be fair, I agree with the sentiments, but I do wonder just just how beneficial the link up would be for the Bulls. Avenue's gate is only around the 500 mark [so I've been told] so, whilst you could look at the 'little acorns' aspect it hardly looks that promising in a business sense. Also, I wonder what the Bulls freehold owner [bfd Met] would make of us sub-letting to one of their other current tenants?

1.  Why have your money tied up in an old stadium that needs money to maintain, thats need money set on one side to upgrade and update,  when you could be using that money to develop the success of your club?

1. So you don't have to pay rent

2. So you can play fixtures whenever you want, not when a Premier League football club tells you to

3. So one of your main stands is not closed for a wedding on the day of an important cup tie

stadiums dont create atmosphere

people and history create atmosphere. It takes time.

I'd rather go and watch sport where you are dry, comfortable, can actually see, and aren't in danger of contracting typhoid than any of the corrugated iron death traps that have thankfully been replaced.

Why don't people give anything new a chance in rugby league? 

I've been to all the modern stadiums apart from Salford and Saints and had a fabulous time at all of them.

I much prefer the new wembley to the old one and I've sampled most of the types of accommodation including accompanying disabled fans to games At the old wembley you were a mile away from the game, the roof leaked, you were in danger of deep vein thrombosis from the seats, and the place including the twin towers was plug ugly.

2. So you can play fixtures whenever you want, not when a Premier League football club tells you to

3. So one of your main stands is not closed for a wedding on the day of an important cup tie

1 so you don't have to pay for ground staff, safety, upkeep and repairs and utility bills

2 how many premier league soccer clubs share with rugby league clubs-until this season it ws one, now it's none. Of course there is an issue here, but clubs cant play fixtures when they want to anyway. Clubs have to negotiate mutually advantageous terms if they have any sense.

3 when has that ever happened?

1 so you don't have to pay for ground staff, safety, upkeep and repairs and utility bills

2 how many premier league soccer clubs share with rugby league clubs-until this season it ws one, now it's none. Of course there is an issue here, but clubs cant play fixtures when they want to anyway. Clubs have to negotiate mutually advantageous terms if they have any sense.

Owning your own ground does have the advantage of it meaning you are guaranteed to get all the bar revenue, and you can hire it out yourselves for events, and get all the revenue for that, run your own social club on the premises (Torquay United make a modest mint from Boots & Laces), and, although this is sometimes as much a curse as a blessing, it means you have an asset you can borrow money against.

On the topic of old stadia versus new, I agree with l'ange, mostly. I'm too ##### old to stand up for nigh on two hours, for one thing.

Owning your own ground does have the advantage of it meaning you are guaranteed to get all the bar revenue, and you can hire it out yourselves for events, and get all the revenue for that, run your own social club on the premises (Torquay United make a modest mint from Boots & Laces), and, although this is sometimes as much a curse as a blessing, it means you have an asset you can borrow money against.

On the topic of old stadia versus new, I agree with l'ange, mostly. I'm too ##### old to stand up for nigh on two hours, for one thing.

My point about owning your own ground and not is that there are disadvantages and advantages for both

The Batley management did a great job a few years ago getting all kinds of grant money to upgrade their ground and did just that. It's now a fine little ground but before it was a decaying dump of the worst kind even if the club did own it.

The mystery to me is that Batley, despite being a consistent top five championship club winning the Northern rail Cup and several times scaring the c##p out of SL teams in the Challenge cup can't even get to the 1000 mark in gates.The quality of rugby played by their team deserves better spectator support.

You tell me? We took approximately 2500 fans to the Northern Rail final in 2010, so there's obviously some interest there. That interest doesn't seem to endure in most cases, though. The club has tried many initiatives over the years in an attempt to increase crowds, and all have failed. I'd say that a big stumbling for us is that being slap bang in a large conurbation which incorporates four SL clubs isn't a big help. Why pay 15 quid to watch Championship rugby when you can travel 4 miles up the road and watch the SL champions for the same price? Lowering our prices in an attempt to attract more fans isn't an option, either. If any such scheme failed, we'd be left with a shortfall that would negatively affect on-field matters and probably lead to existing fans walking away. Bit of a Catch 22, really.

Looks like it, don't know anything about them other than they played there first competitive game last Saturday, bet 127 rattling around in the Stobart is a surreal experience for fans and players alike!

Isn't oconners first love football wouldn't be surprised if its his idea and he wants to see how far he can take them.

Last year. Wigan v Saints, Challenge Cup quarter final, North Stand closed due to a wedding being pre-booked in the hospitality suite.

To be fair, I agree with the sentiments, but I do wonder just just how beneficial the link up would be for the Bulls. Avenue's gate is only around the 500 mark [so I've been told] so, whilst you could look at the 'little acorns' aspect it hardly looks that promising in a business sense. Also, I wonder what the Bulls freehold owner [bfd Met] would make of us sub-letting to one of their other current tenants?

Avenue have ambitions to climb the soccer pyramid, and another promotion or two would see their current ground declared inadequate. If and when that happens a ground share might be a decent solution for both clubs. Right now, Avenue don't need it.

Last year. Wigan v Saints, Challenge Cup quarter final, North Stand closed due to a wedding being pre-booked in the hospitality suite.

Well that's poor management in somebody's part

Presumably the game went a head and the stadiums capacity wasnt challenged

At the DW Stadium, Wigan have to play second fiddle to the soccer for the moment due to Dave Whelan. Once he's gone and the soccer team return to their rightful place at the bottom of the football league then normality will return and Wigan will be able to call the shots.

Going to watch my team run the cleaners through that shambles at Springfield Field in the 1990s is what Wigan soccer is really like. None of this pretending they're a big club nonsense.

If a modern, souless stadium means that I can go for a leak at half time without needing industrial grade wellies and a gas mask (remember the River Caves, anyone?) then I'll settle for modern and souless!

Avenue have ambitions to climb the soccer pyramid, and another promotion or two would see their current ground declared inadequate. If and when that happens a ground share might be a decent solution for both clubs. Right now, Avenue don't need it.

I suppose that's right. A few years back Avenue looked as though they were going to surge right back to the football league, though they seem to have 'plateaued', to some extent, more recently. With them back in the league and playing at Odsal with the Bulls would have a certain synergy - not to mention a little rounding off of history.

instead of owning their own ground as they used to do

1.  Why have your money tied up in an old stadium that needs money to maintain, thats need money set on one side to upgrade and update,  when you could be using that money to develop the success of your club?2. There is a history in sport of owners and directsr buying the groukdna and then selling it for housing, Swinton used to own Station Road.....sold for housing, then there was Central Park..and I am sure there are other examples

How many of those clubs prospered after selling their ground?

I'm afraid that once a club sells its ground and moves out to become tenants elsewhere, it rarely ends well.

Doubtless they were already in a poor situation otherwise they'd have kept the ground but ownership of a stadium in the town that you are named after does seem key to a long-term future.

edit: or if not ownership then a stake in the ground as Salford have

How many of those clubs prospered after selling their ground?

I'm afraid that once a club sells its ground and moves out to become tenants elsewhere, it rarely ends well.

Doubtless they were already in a poor situation otherwise they'd have kept the ground but ownership of a stadium in the town that you are named after does seem key to a long-term future.

Good point

I think it boils down to why they sold their ground to become tenants in the first place

If you sell your ground to clear debts then you set off on a bad footing because you have little or no capital

Yes. If a ground was sold to pay off debts, perhaps that is an indication of the quality of the directors rather than proof that owning us better than renting. I guess the answer Is' it all depends'

Owning your own ground does not always confer the claimed benefits , but then, neither does renting.

on the righteous side of the pennines every club bar oldham play in a superb stadium with modern facilities..........lancashire clubs have grasped the nettle as regards stadia and facilities, unlike the neanderthals in yawkshure........

on the righteous side of the pennines every club bar oldham play in a superb stadium with modern facilities..........lancashire clubs have grasped the nettle as regards stadia and facilities, unlike the neanderthals in yawkshure........

it's a good job an all considering the shyteholes they played in for the best part of a century

whilst most clubs to the east of the pennines still play in the same shi'teholes they have always played in for over a century...