Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

owls

Rugby League stadiums

154 posts in this topic

Headingley is a true rl stadium, steeped in rl history and has the best atmosphere in sl by far.

whilst most clubs to the east of the pennines still play in the same shi'teholes they have always played in for over a century...

whilst most clubs to the east of the pennines still play in the same shi'teholes they have always played in for over a century...

I can think of two that conform to that description

make that one in the light of the improvements at Wakefield

how come swinton play in leigh? It's miles away

Widnes is the worst advertisement for a brand new stadium I can think of..... totally soulless! Naughton Park was much better, all it needed was the facilities improving! Many fans still love Cas's ground.... apart from the toilets and other facilities!

I defy anyone to say they've been to Batley and not enjoyed the atmosphere! We go to these places to watch a game, not stare at empty seats!

I've been to Widnes and didn't like it much, but then we got beat 72-0 by Saints.  But it is fairly souless.  My favourite ground apart from P O Road is Headingley.  It's purpose built for watching rugby.  I've always loved it.  I don't mind Huddersfield's ground, I like the KC. I like the Shay too.  I've been to the Keepmoat but can't remember much about it.  I hate the DW, and I don't like the Halliwell Jones at all.  Worst ground for watching RL? Elland Road without a doubt.  I like Old Trafford though - great atmosphere.  I've seen Salford and Leigh from the outside.  They look ok.  I've been to the Stoop, and there certainly was an atmosphere.  London were playing Hull and it was full of ###### up Hull fans!

Of the extinct grounds:  I liked Crown Flatt - but then I'd played on it.  I liked Watersheddings.  Thrum Hall was quirky.  I used to like Knowsley Road, and Wilderspool.   One of my most disappointing experiences was my first visit to Central Park, I'd expected something fairly similar to Headingley only bigger. Instead I got a dump that was falling apart.  I've never liked Odsal.  I saw my first international there, GB v NZ in 1961.  Given that only 7 years before there'd  been 102.000 + in there, it was a major disappointment.

Widnes is the worst advertisement for a brand new stadium I can think of..... totally soulless! Naughton Park was much better, all it needed was the facilities improving! Many fans still love Cas's ground.... apart from the toilets and other facilities!I defy anyone to say they've been to Batley and not enjoyed the atmosphere! We go to these places to watch a game, not stare at empty seats!

As opposed to looking at empty terraces.

A number of the posts on here capture the very essence of rugby league. Whilst some of you may like the atmosphere of the older stadium - the smell of rotting wood etc. ..It is not entirely clear that that these qualities are enough to attract new fans to these living museums.

EEee ..seats under cover? You're lucky....all we 'ad was pile of earth to stand on.....a pile of earth? Eee, luxury....we used stand in a hole in the ground, full of water.....water? Wr longed for water! We used to stand barefoot on a pile of hot cinders from me ma's fire....Hot cinders? You were lucky....etc. Headingly, odsal, Wheldon road, belle vue are just not good enough a mere 118 years sine the birth of our game.

Headingley is a true rl stadium, steeped in rl history and has the best atmosphere in sl by far.

Shedingly is a dump. After getting absolutely drenched standing at the away end a few years back I refuse to go there again until they bother to put a roof on and provide at least some protection from the elements for the away fans.

The South stand is a disgrace and falling to pieces and the North stand is little better.

The RFL should grow a pair and tell rich, succesful clubs like Leeds to sort out their dump of a stadium.

on the righteous side of the pennines every club bar oldham play in a superb stadium with modern facilities..........lancashire clubs have grasped the nettle as regards stadia and facilities, unlike the neanderthals in yawkshure........

Then the RFL realise if they persist in Franchising then all but two Yorkie clubs.would start to not meat the standards.

I can think of two that conform to that description

make that one in the light of the improvements at Wakefield

how come swinton play in leigh? It's miles away

Odsal?

Putting a roof on a dump means its still a dump.

Odsal?

Putting a roof on a dump means its still a dump.

Odsal is outdated, and the speedway track gets in the way

but the facilities are perfectly civilised, well maintained and up to date

the main stand is a modern cantilever structure with good sight lines

I undersstand peoples love of history and tradition,  but times move on and facilities must too,just ask the fans of Chesterfield football club,

they loved their old stadium Saltergate , but ask them now if they prefer their new family friendly stadium or the old one and the answer

is obvious,,

Anybody know of a website with photo's of old grounds ie.Station Road...Wiggington Road...Tattersfield etc etc ? All gone but not forgotten.

I undersstand peoples love of history and tradition,  but times move on and facilities must too,just ask the fans of Chesterfield football club,

they loved their old stadium Saltergate , but ask them now if they prefer their new family friendly stadium or the old one and the answer

is obvious,,

yep I agree with you. The latest generation will make their own tradition and history as time moves on and the older generation like me fade and .....

mind you some of the "non watching" facilities are poor, even at the newer stadiums.

I've been to Widnes and didn't like it much, but then we got beat 72-0 by Saints.  But it is fairly souless.  My favourite ground apart from P O Road is Headingley.  It's purpose built for watching rugby.  I've always loved it.  I don't mind Huddersfield's ground, I like the KC. I like the Shay too.  I've been to the Keepmoat but can't remember much about it.  I hate the DW, and I don't like the Halliwell Jones at all.  Worst ground for watching RL? Elland Road without a doubt.  I like Old Trafford though - great atmosphere.  I've seen Salford and Leigh from the outside.  They look ok.  I've been to the Stoop, and there certainly was an atmosphere.  London were playing Hull and it was full of ###### up Hull fans!

Of the extinct grounds:  I liked Crown Flatt - but then I'd played on it.  I liked Watersheddings.  Thrum Hall was quirky.  I used to like Knowsley Road, and Wilderspool.   One of my most disappointing experiences was my first visit to Central Park, I'd expected something fairly similar to Headingley only bigger. Instead I got a dump that was falling apart.  I've never liked Odsal.  I saw my first international there, GB v NZ in 1961.  Given that only 7 years before there'd  been 102.000 + in there, it was a major disappointment.

I always used to like Parkside for atmosphere I think the atmosphere was good because of the north south Leeds rivalry.It was also a good old ground to look at too.

Shedingly is a dump. After getting absolutely drenched standing at the away end a few years back I refuse to go there again until they bother to put a roof on and provide at least some protection from the elements for the away fans.

The South stand is a disgrace and falling to pieces and the North stand is little better.

The RFL should grow a pair and tell rich, succesful clubs like Leeds to sort out their dump of a stadium.

Well there is no away end, and you don't have to stand on the western terrace.Both those two stands are structurally sound they have had many thousands spent on them in maintainance.If you have only been on the western terrace how do you get your opinion that those two traditional historic stands are falling to bits?because its not true.

Well there is no away end, and you don't have to stand on the western terrace.Both those two stands are structurally sound they have had many thousands spent on them in maintainance.If you have only been on the western terrace how do you get your opinion that those two traditional historic stands are falling to bits?because its not true.

I've watched a couple of matches from the Western Terrace. I'll tend to go there if it's nice and sunny. If it's unpleasant weather, I'll get a ticket for somewhere with a roof just as anyone is allowed to.

You're even allowed to change your tickets on the day at the ticket office or the ticket exchange window once you're in the ground.

From when I started watching RL, Ive seen the following grounds disappear:

Borough Park
Athletic Grounds
Craven Park
Crown Flatt
Clarence Street
Station Road
Fartown
Tattersfield
Mclaran Field
Naughton Park
Watersheddings
Thrum Hall
Central Park
Boulevard
Wilderspool
Hilton Park
Knowsley Road
The Willows

In fact, there are only 10 clubs still playing at the same ground they were around the early 80s......

Bradford
Leeds
Castleford
Wakefield
Featherstone
Batley
Keighley
Workington
Barrow
Whitehaven

You could always sit down, like you have to do at grounds that give you no other choice!

I was led to believe the South Stand was completely taken by season ticket holders, is that not so? Not that I'd reccomend that particular area for an away fan.... ;)

I was led to believe the South Stand was completely taken by season ticket holders, is that not so? Not that I'd reccomend that particular area for an away fan.... ;)

Well I'm no longer now in the country,but on my trips home it is quite full,but there again what is the basis of someone saying its falling apart when they have probably never been in.The capacity is 21k so 15_16000 there is plenty of room for out of towners under cover.

Just been on the Rhinos ticketing site, tickets available for purchase in the SS

Hull KR ticketing site has options for standing or seated at Headingley, so there must be options for western terrace and north stand at least (Can't see about south stand as I'm not registered)

If those two stands were falling appart they would be closed down,and silly slanderous remarks like that that are out of order.With respect

From when I started watching RL, Ive seen the following grounds disappear:

Borough Park

Athletic Grounds

Craven Park

Crown Flatt

Clarence Street

Station Road

Fartown

Tattersfield

Mclaran Field

Naughton Park

Watersheddings

Thrum Hall

Central Park

Boulevard

Wilderspool

Hilton Park

Knowsley Road

The Willows

In fact, there are only 10 clubs still playing at the same ground they were around the early 80s......

Bradford

Leeds

Castleford

Wakefield

Featherstone

Batley

Keighley

Workington

Barrow

Whitehaven

naughton park was rebuilt and given a new name: it's the same place

three bigfellas stafium bears almost no resemblence to its original incarnation and has had at least three different names

naughton park was rebuilt and given a new name: it's the same place

three bigfellas stafium bears almost no resemblence to its original incarnation and has had at least three different names

On the same site it may be, but Halton stadium is all new and nothing to do with Naughton Park.

If Fev's rate of redevelopment continues, they may fall into the same category.