Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

owls

Rugby League stadiums

154 posts in this topic

You know, many of you are calling certain grounds dumps but I would give anything to have our dump, at Watersheddings, back. Compared to what we have now it was the Bernabao!!! So think yourself lucky.

If Real Oldham get promotion and I hope you do, the club might have to take some action on  the development plans they have for Whitebank or face the wrath of the minimum standards people.

The Racecourse ground home of your likely fellow promotees is like Wembley compared to Whitebank and would draw unfavourable comparisons.

Like I said most Leeds fans are very good at estimating Headingley Crowds and your suggestion seems quite veiled.

You're not expecting any Leeds fans to pipe up are you? Thy can only make noise when led by a trumpeter.

Thankyou for that but not so many years ago Odsal was very dangerous no terracing apart from a few railway sleepers and it was an awful view when it held big crowds.you couldn't see at the front and neither could see if you you were situated near the stand that has now been pulled down,but now you need to pray for a dry day

The railway sleepers were a long time ago! I've only ever seen them in pictures! As for the dry day ..... a bit like the western terrace! Although you can always go in our very modern seated stand that is accommodating to both home and away fans!!!

Both Odsal and Headingly need a bit if an upgrade to be fair. Although think a roof over the main terrace at Odsal would be a great start.

While I can see benefit in owning your own stadium, if you use it for other things regularly (I.e. restaurant, functions, gym etc.) which can be hard to do if your stadium is in a retail park, like many are now (so not in centre of town).

If you can't use it for other things, you're stuck paying for a building that is used one day a week, for 13 weeks a year. The other 352 days a year it sits dormant. You then have upkeep costs and staff costs (having to constantly recruit and train match day staff when you can only offer them 13 days work a year=large turnover).

I think most clubs are probably better-off getting a good lease on a modern stadia. That's what most NRL clubs do. Only the Sharks own their own ground, and they are the worst club financially.

That also means that your capital is not tied up in an under utilised asset that needs regular maintenance expenditure. That is why sale-and-leaseback is always worth examining.

Knowsley Road was another stadium which came over well on TV even having 8000 at the games.

You're not expecting any Leeds fans to pipe up are you? Thy can only make noise when led by a trumpeter.

Have you noticed I've not resorted to this kind of comment at all.I have been attending Headingley for many many yeas and I can estimate quite acqurately the crowd for the night

Have you noticed I've not resorted to this kind of comment at all.I have been attending Headingley for many many yeas and I can estimate quite acqurately the crowd for the night

Well done you. Have you actually shared you estimate?

Well done you. Have you actually shared you estimate?

Like I told you earlier I wasn't at the game

Great contribution.

I said I wasn't at the game,most mature Leeds fans can estimate quite accurately the attendance including me.Now if you are questioning why I wasn't there well. I was there earlier the season and also in August because I want to see the Core group win at Wembley,so it would have been bit pricy to come for playoffs and GF

Been reported that the NZ Warriors will play three games in 2014 at Eden Park. They've played I think three times over last few years always drawing 30,000 plus.There's talk that the city council in Auckland want them to relocate permantly and share it with the Blues Top 16 outfit as they dont appear want to up-grade Mount Smart.

SCCZEN_A_270912NZHBPAERIAL5_460x230_zpsd

What a delight here. Last week at the old Sydney Cricket ground for West Tigers-St George. In the Winfield Cup era Sydney's match of the weekend was always held there as well as Grand Finals and Test Matchs.

RD-RUGBY-20LEAGUE_20130824174431176899-6

A bit of a digression but...

A fantastic venue for League will be the converted London Olympic Stadium. It will have a lower tier for about 22,000 fans right up against the touchlines (the stands roll back over the track when athletics is in town) with the upper tiers available as and when required to take the capacity to around 55,000 capacity.

Shame the rahs are getting in there for 2015 but nothing to stop us using it afterwards. A good home for the London NRL franchise?!?

From when I started watching RL, Ive seen the following grounds disappear:

Borough Park

Athletic Grounds

Craven Park

Crown Flatt

Clarence Street

Station Road

Fartown

Tattersfield

Mclaran Field

Naughton Park

Watersheddings

Thrum Hall

Central Park

Boulevard

Wilderspool

Hilton Park

Knowsley Road

The Willows

In fact, there are only 10 clubs still playing at the same ground they were around the early 80s......

Bradford

Leeds

Castleford

Wakefield

Featherstone

Batley

Keighley

Workington

Barrow

Whitehaven

You could probably add Alt Park, Guildford Park, Ninian Park, Scarborough, Any of Sheffield's early offerings, Nottingham, Mansfield, Craven Cottage( still used for Football I know)

Its a bit selfish, but I don't give a shiny #### about the stadium. As long as the markings are correct, it's a good game and I can see what's going off. It'll do for me. Not great watching a game in a vast stadium that is sparsely attended though. I go to watch the event not the stands or for the pies. Most kick off times are not meal times, so I'm not particularly bothered about eating there. If you want a P ss yeah you don't want to be standing in it. Some people like a drink but in my experience, the greatest atmosphere for a drink is at the pubs in the vicinity of the ground, rather than in the ground, especially the second rate ale with first rate prices served at these modern stadia. I understand also the need for some people to sit down, but it is so annoying when you have to sit down at some stadia Widnes, Donny spring to mind. I also personally like to stand at the end my team is attacking, that has been brutalised in modern stadia.

The Leeds club is the best run organization in SL and don't need to take advice from others 

I think similar words were spoken by the Roman Emperor as Vizigoths, Gauls and Vandals were forming their battalions to storm Rome..

I think similar words were spoken by the Roman Emperor as Vizigoths, Gauls and Vandals were forming their battalions to storm Rome..

From "Borrowed time Bradford" begging bowl option?Gone!

From "Borrowed time Bradford" begging bowl option?Gone!

There is nothing from which you cannot take lessons - even if the lesson is don't do it that way. It's only fools who think they have nothing left to learn. Ask the last Roman emperor.....

There is nothing from which you cannot take lessons - even if the lesson is don't do it that way. It's only fools who think they have nothing left to learn. Ask the last Roman emperor.....

How many times has the lesson gone unheeded? Circa 1901?1963?2012?

How many times has the lesson gone unheeded? Circa 1901?1963?2012?

Annually, would be my best guess.

Annually, would be my best guess.

Anyway rightnow its OUR sport that's important.Wakefield 400.000 under capitalised?They say they haven't got a sugar daddy.I thought the new owner did wonders with his ground improvements.Something I can only applaud

Its a bit selfish, but I don't give a shiny #### about the stadium. As long as the markings are correct, it's a good game and I can see what's going off. It'll do for me. Not great watching a game in a vast stadium that is sparsely attended though. I go to watch the event not the stands or for the pies. Most kick off times are not meal times, so I'm not particularly bothered about eating there. If you want a P ss yeah you don't want to be standing in it. Some people like a drink but in my experience, the greatest atmosphere for a drink is at the pubs in the vicinity of the ground, rather than in the ground, especially the second rate ale with first rate prices served at these modern stadia. I understand also the need for some people to sit down, but it is so annoying when you have to sit down at some stadia Widnes, Donny spring to mind. I also personally like to stand at the end my team is attacking, that has been brutalised in modern stadia.

Apart from your comment regarding too large a stadium I have a polar opposite view to you.  I want comfort for myself and family as well as an overall good experience that also includes the facilities. Of course the game being the primary aspect but the rest of the experience is as important.

We may have a great sporting game in comparison to other sports... but we certainly have a poor product and the whole game experience is part of that product.

As I say I agree it is sensible to have stadium that fits the need rather than a huge citadel that has more space than fans.

Apart from your comment regarding too large a stadium I have a polar opposite view to you. I want comfort for myself and family as well as an overall good experience that also includes the facilities. Of course the game being the primary aspect but the rest of the experience is as important.

We may have a great sporting game in comparison to other sports... but we certainly have a poor product and the whole game experience is part of that product.

As I say I agree it is sensible to have stadium that fits the need rather than a huge citadel that has more space than fans.

you keep saying this but whenever I go to the HJ, Langtree or DW it always compares favourably to when i go to MCFC, Lancs Cricket or Murrayfield.

There is no issue with the game or product.

Liverpool reserves play at Langtree Park but the stadium is owned outright by Saints (not even partly owned by the banks), with the football team just paying tennants on a year by year rolling contract.

Not true about Liverpool reserves.  Liverpool, Man Utd and Everton under 19s and under 21s have held games there but that was during the off season and purely for commercial reasons, limited to a few games each (sometimes internationals).  None of them play at Langtree Park on a weekly or regular basis.

Langtree Park is purely a rugby league stadium which is owned by Saints.