Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walter sobchak

George w bush

65 posts in this topic

Depends where you get them from.

I admit that if you picked one up from the dustbin rather than wasted your time spending a fortune you'd show greater business awareness than any MBA grad in history.

there is no comparison between Iraq in the early 20th century  and the germany of 1930s

also if we went to war with a country on the basis of 'well you never know what they might do' then we would be at war all the time.

Presumably you are in favour of military action against North Korea.

I've outlined what the comparisons were.

If you don't think those comparisons are valid, then explain why.

But don't just make an unsupported assertion, unless you really are comparing Germany in the 1930s with Iraq in the early 20th century.

Presumably you are in favour of military action against North Korea.

Dialogue is never the answer.  Martyn has, ironically, said so.

Ok i was wrong, he's one of the greatest figures of modern times  :biggrin:

I don't share your revised view.

But I do think that most politicians who get to the top of the greasy pole are not as stupid as we sometimes like to portray them, regardless of which party we are talking about.

But don't just make an unsupported assertion, unless you really are comparing Germany in the 1930s with Iraq in the early 20th century.

you know I meant 21st

Iraq didn't exist until after world war 1

you could have used the same or similar comparisons about any dictatorship from the present or from history

I don't think Hussein instituted the industrial disposal of jews, gypsies, gays, and so on

I don't think He was out for world domination governed by a master race

he was the psychopathic dictator of a small but wealthy country.

do you think on the basis that we went to war against Iraq and in the light on your own views regarding evil dangerous dictatorships that we should attack North Korea? 

You are allowed to join in.

I don't know enough about the subject to contribute. It's not stopped others though.

I'm surprised you say that.

Iraq invaded its neighbour, rather like Germany. It went to war with its neighbours, rather like Germany. Saddam made clear his hatred of Jews, and threatened to annihilate them, rather like Hitler.

Saddam liked to boast about the power of his military, rather like Hitler did.

I am (like others it seems) surprised by your surprise.

Iraq invaded Kuwait and went to a proxy war with Iran.  Germany invaded most of Europe.

Iraq was defeated and thrown out of Kuwait in months.  It's war with Iran was hardly a glowing military success. 

You are comparing a Tinpot dictatorship with one of mightiest powers Europe has ever seen.

But to stretch the analogy that Saddam and Iraq was Hitler and Germany in waiting...

Iraq had been restricted by sanctions for a decade, he had no new tanks, planes, etc.  His best equipment was either destroyed in GW1 or ten years later was even more obsolete.

The no-fly zones concept had been stretched for years to allow the systematic destruction of any military equipment from tanks to bunkers.  Iraq was bombed on a regular basis in the name of the no-fly zone. 

Part of his country was (and still is) controlled by the Kurds. 

He couldn't move north due to the Kurds and the non-fly zone.  South was restricted by the non fly zone and a modern Kuwait.  He could of tried it on with Iran or Saudi, but I think you can work out how well that would of gone.

Germany on the other hand had the most modern, prepared and trained army in the world and the desire and manpower to do what it wanted.

I am (like others it seems) surprised by your surprise.

Iraq invaded Kuwait and went to a proxy war with Iran.  Germany invaded most of Europe.

Iraq was defeated and thrown out of Kuwait in months.  It's war with Iran was hardly a glowing military success. 

You are comparing a Tinpot dictatorship with one of mightiest powers Europe has ever seen.

The Iraqi army was ineffective against the US military but Iraq had something like the 4th largest army in the world before the first gulf war and was a regional superpower. It was hardly a tinpot dictatorship.

A meaningless assertion that inspired one of my favourite Bill Hicks quotes.  Curse the sweary filter:

“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big ###### drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”

A meaningless assertion that inspired one of my favourite Bill Hicks quotes.  Curse the sweary filter:

“People say "Iraq had the fourth largest army in the world". Yeah, maybe, but you know what, after the first 3 largest armies, there's a REAL big ###### drop-off. The Hare Krishnas are the 5th largest army in the world, and they've already got all our airports.”

LOL, love bill hicks what a huge miss he is. Another one of my favourite bill hicks lines which could be from the same gig was talking about the first gulf war "I was for the war but against the troops."

There might be but there is another huge drop-off between the 4th and the 118th. Iraq was a regional super power. The fact that the US, China and Russia had more tanks was irrelevant until the USA went to war with them. They stomped all over Kuwait and would have made short work of Saudi Arabia.