This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Posts

Conference cup

Leigh Miners 34 v Milford 18, Wath Brow 8 v St.Pats 22

Prem division Lock Lane 36 v East Hull 22, Siddal 36 v York Acorn 22

Div 1 Millom 30 v Eccles 36, Stanley Rangers 22 v Hunslet Warriors 24, Waterhead 22 v Oulton 40,

Div 2 Leigh East 6 v Askam 48, Shaw Cross 26 v St.Annes 10

Conference south Bristol 22 v Nottingham 26, Leicester 40 v St.Albans 18.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Leigh Miners 34 v 18 Milford Marlins

Leigh Miners kept their dream alive of retaining the Conference Challenge Trophy yesterday afternoon when they saw off Division One outfit Milford Marlins 34-18 in a cracking semi final at Twist Lane to set up a "Battle of the Borough" Final against local rivals Wigan St Pats at the end of September at Leigh Sports Village. Miners made a blistering start to the game and were over for their first try after only a couple of minutes when centre Adam Thomason went charging over in the right corner to score, Jonny Youds converting off the touchline to give the score 6-0. Thomason was involved again soon after when he put wingman Andrew Groves over to make it 10-0 after five minutes. Miners increased their lead on twenty minutes with a Youds penalty goal and soon after they was in for their third try of the afternoon when Groves dived over in the right corner for his second of the game to put Miners well in control leading 16-0. Milford got themselves on the scoreboard on the half hour mark with a try in the left corner and scored a second try a few minutes later from their centre to make the score 16-10 and bring their barmy army of supporters back to life. Jonny Youds added a second penalty goal right on half time to open the gap between the sides to eight points going into the break with Miners leading 18-10.

Miners made another great start in the second half when Jonny Youds went through the Marlins defence to score to the left of the posts, Youds converting his own try to make it 24-10. Milford hit back on fifty minutes after a spell of pressure to score their third try to make it 24-16 and they were within six points on the hour mark when they added a penalty goal to give the score 24-18. With Milford having all the possession and their barmy army being well and truly behind them creating a huge noise they threw everything they could at Miners having set after set on their line trying to force their way over but with Miners working tirelessly for each other the visitors could find no way through. After soaking up a huge amount of pressure Miners got themselves into good ball inside the final couple of minutes from a Milford error and from that they took full advantage scoring two tries, the first from centre Sean MacDonald who went over in the left corner followed by a try from captain Scott O'Brien who scored in the right corner, MOM Jonny Youds converting from the touchline to give the final score 34-18.

Next week Miners are at home to York Acorn in the league.

MINERS TEAM - Jonny Youds, Andrew Hodson, Sean Macdonald, Adam Thomason, Andrew Groves, Jimmy Muir, Scott O'Brien, Gary Gittins, Tom Farrimond, Darryl Kay, Liam Coleman, Martin Gray, Dave Rowlands SUBS = Tony Doyle, Todd Appleby, Connor Partington, Kev Howells

MINERS MOM -Jonny Youds

MILFORD TEAM - Aaron Jones-Bishop, Ben Holmes, Matt Harding, Sam Hood, Martin Loveridge, Ryan Oxtoby, Josh Parle, Jamie Field, James Coates, John Elkington, Shane Tasker-Howard, James Barry, James Barker Subs – Nathan Walmsley, Antony Ward, Eddie Wilson, Matt Grosvenor

MILFORD MOM - James Coates

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here