Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
l'angelo mysterioso

The steam locomotive thread

38 posts in this topic

Other locomotives as well to be fair

I'm interested in the work and contribution of the much maligned Edward Thompson

But steam and other livid and railway topics in general

On my way up to the Barrow game last week I saw the BR class 8 71000 Duke of Gloucester as we passed the Crewe Heritage centre.

I never saw it in my train spotting youth.

On my way up to the Barrow game last week I saw the BR class 8 71000 Duke of Gloucester as we passed the Crewe Heritage centre.

I never saw it in my train spotting youth.

She had a short unhappy career

The issues surrounding her draughting only sorted in preservation

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t__zpwemTdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UYyvJs_MXk

44932  & Oliver  Cromwell at Colton Bridge near York in 2011.  The Scarborough Spa Express is running again this summer. As is the Scarborough Flier. It's possible to see Duchess of Sutherland at speed between Wakefield and Manchester. Best vantage point i've found is Horbury Bridge - Friday nights between 7-00 pm & 8-00pm.  Up to first week September

44932 & Oliver Cromwell at Colton Bridge near York in 2011. The Scarborough Spa Express is running again this summer. As is the Scarborough Flier. It's possible to see Duchess of Sutherland at speed between Wakefield and Manchester. Best vantage point i've found is Horbury Bridge - Friday nights between 7-00 pm & 8-00pm. Up to first week September

I saw a lot of 70013 Oliver Cromwell during its overhaul at the GCR in Loughborough. Edited by bearman

Yesterday was the anniversary of the last mainline timetabled BR steam journey apparently.  Oliver Cromwell running between Manchester and Carlisle.

I'll be taking the two littler gingers to see the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway over the weekend.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the last mainline timetabled BR steam journey apparently.  Oliver Cromwell running between Manchester and Carlisle.

I'll be taking the two littler gingers to see the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway over the weekend.

They have some good replicas of the Gresley A3 pacific locos.

They have some good replicas of the Gresley A3 pacific locos.

Sadly my personal favourite, Northern Chief, will not be running when we're there.  It should be the first time I see Winston Churchill (no. 9) in action though.

Kettles. Gah. 

44932  & Oliver  Cromwell at Colton Bridge near York in 2011.  The Scarborough Spa Express is running again this summer. As is the Scarborough Flier. It's possible to see Duchess of Sutherland at speed between Wakefield and Manchester. Best vantage point i've found is Horbury Bridge - Friday nights between 7-00 pm & 8-00pm.  Up to first week September

I may just have to have a trip out to see that! My absolute favourite machine; a superb blend of grace and power.

I also need to go and see this:

35360d1315322635-duchess-hamilton-7214.j

Far superior to gresleys A4

Kettles. Gah.

Deisels and electrics are included as well

Now settle down

6139460428_459ec655ec_b.jpg

Now we're talking.

Edited by D9000

Very nice! But better when they're moving ...

2766892071_72e0b12bed_o.jpg

Very nice! But better when they're moving ...

And better still when you can hear it:

Far superior to gresleys A4

And yet the A3's and A4's ran to the end of steam on BR - the A3's hauled some of the heaviest loads over the Settle to Carlisle, having been moved from Gateshead to Holbeck.  As for Thompson I must confess I don't know much about him. I know he was antipathetic to Gresley and altered many of his designs when he took over as CME at the LNER.  But then he was related to Sir Vincent Raven whose own NER Pacific was rejected for production on the LNER.  And Thompson's designs themselves were heavily modfied after he finished by A H Peppercorn.

Well having a pint on the Worth Valley Railway tomorrow, couple in Keighley then back up to Haworth for tewtime. Can't wait.

Anyone been on the Severn Valley? It's brilliant, brilliant views, decent museum, great beer at both ends of the line, and probably the only steam railway in the world where you can see Rhinos and Elephants on virtually every trip.

Anyone been on the Severn Valley? It's brilliant, brilliant views, decent museum, great beer at both ends of the line, and probably the only steam railway in the world where you can see Rhinos and Elephants on virtually every trip.

Went last year.

Post edited as joke didn't work thanks to sweary filter.

Edited by gingerjon

Been on the SVR several times. Excellent day out, and very easy to get to. Probably my favourite standard gauge heritage line. (For narrow gauge, it has to be the Festiniog). I haven't been to the Bluebell or the Great Central yet, though.

Pulled by one of their blinkin' diesels on the train to Dungeness!  But, no matter, got chance to see a few in action in and around New Romney.  Here's good old Winston Churchill:

9530467483_b46fcd47c1_c.jpg

Winston Churchill by Jon Smalldon, on Flickr

Hmmm. The engine is  red black and yellow; the coaches are blue and yellow.

As usual, we are well in front of them, and they are hanging on.

;):tongue:

I went on the Severn Valley Railway yesterday as a result of this thread. Had a great day, It wasn't all good as we saw plenty of people like gingerjon hanging round at the rn of the platforms taking pictures.

Of course, not all steam locos were large. Over the last 12 months, I've been on the NYM Railway to re-live numerous trips as a kid, KWVR as it's local to me so was handy to take my neice & nephew on a Santa Special, then on the Talylln Railway recently on holiday in Wales. The last was by far the best of the heritage lines as it gave some spectacular views, rather than just a journey up a valley through a long cutting! Plus of course, some of the engines were the inspiration for some of the characters in Thomas the Tank Engine. :D

9431434074_e059c7faef_z.jpg
Douglas by 77gazza, on Flickr

9431437808_d2515e2b4a_z.jpg
Edward Thomas by 77gazza, on Flickr

9428638191_c3d7e01cbb_z.jpg
Tom Rolf by 77gazza, on Flickr