Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longboard

World Athletics 2013

58 posts in this topic

Denise Lewis is still quite lovely... just needed saying...

I hadn't noticed.  ;)

This year's Championships has been excellent already, and there's plenty more to come. Sadly, the BBC will substitute most of the live action for slo-mo montages, dull interviews and presenter chit-chat.

This year's Championships has been excellent already, and there's plenty more to come. Sadly, the BBC will substitute most of the live action for slo-mo montages, dull interviews and presenter chit-chat.

"Describe your emotions" "Was that emotional"

BT Sport seem to be falling into this trap on an epic scale right now.  They are having whole evenings do by with no live sport just talking heads.  They really need to find some actual action to put on there.

And, yes, the BBC are doing this a lot now.  "Today at Wimbledon" comes on at 8 thereby curtailing their live coverage to make way for highlights of matches we all know the scores of.  The Athletics seems even more baffling given that there are long natural pauses into which Logan could empty her thoughts anyway.

That said, Michael Johnson remains excellent as an analyst, as are Edwards, Cram, Jackson and Lewis.  I remain to be convinced that Paula Radcliffe has much to say.  They do all seem to be enjoying themselves though.

BT Sport seem to be falling into this trap on an epic scale right now.  They are having whole evenings do by with no live sport just talking heads.  They really need to find some actual action to put on there.

And, yes, the BBC are doing this a lot now.  "Today at Wimbledon" comes on at 8 thereby curtailing their live coverage to make way for highlights of matches we all know the scores of.  The Athletics seems even more baffling given that there are long natural pauses into which Logan could empty her thoughts anyway.

That said, Michael Johnson remains excellent as an analyst, as are Edwards, Cram, Jackson and Lewis.  I remain to be convinced that Paula Radcliffe has much to say.  They do all seem to be enjoying themselves though.

Denise Lewis does tend to descend into mangled clichés at times. At their most irritating, she and Jackson come across like children's TV presenters, which is a shame, as their combined knowledge of what it takes to be the very best at sport is hard to top.

Michael Johnson is to Athletics what John McEnroe is to Tennis commentary - excellent, opinionated, knowledgable and confident.

What's so frustrating is that you can see events actually happening behind them and they seem almost apologetic about occasionally having to show live action.

I enjoy their coverage, but there could be a bit more action. also, I wouldn't mind seeing jess Ennis doing some presenting!

I enjoy their coverage, but there could be a bit more action. also, I wouldn't mind seeing jess Ennis doing some presenting!

Jess might be a bit frustrated, seeing all that action and not being able to take part.

Donovan Bailey did a bit of punditry earlier on, when Michael Johnson was unavailable. He was very good and would be welcome back in the studio any time, but I think he has other broadcasting commitments.

"Describe your emotions" "Was that emotional"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I do find it a bit peculiar given our relative dearth of world-class athletes that GB is providing 3 semi finalists in both the women's and men's 400m hurdles.

Other things from yesterday that the BBC let us have the occasional glimpse of - what looked like a corker of a Men's Pole Vault final.

And Valerie Adams, winning her 4th consecutive World Championship. Which makes 5 Golds in total for New Zealand, the other having been won by Beatrice Faumuina. It might inspire some young Kiwis to try some sport that isn't Rugby, Netball or Cricket.

I'm enjoying it although I think Moscow hasn't been a great choice of venue, especially after last year.

Quite a few of the events seem to have suffered due to athletes pulling out. Bolt didn't have a serious challenger and wasn't properly pushed making it much less of an event than previous years. Apparently the womens' heptathlon had the top 5 all out and the 800m appears to be missing David Rudisha.

I find it surprising that with all the modern professionalism in sport many of the Men's World Records of more traditional events are quite old and don't look likely to be challenged for a while. The 400m hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump, Pole Vault, Triple Jump, Shot Put, Hammer and Discuss all have records going back to the mid 90's and earlier. The Long Jump was won last year with a jump 63cm shorter than the WR.

When you consider the improvements in diet, athleticism and fitness of Football, Rugby, Tennis players etc it's testament to the professionalism of athletes from the past generations. Although perhaps if they didn't time it or measure it we'd presume that they were all better than ever as well?

Not sure why you doubt what Paula Radcliffe has to say

She is the world marathon record holder, had mentored Mo Farah since he was a teenager, has competed and been world champion

I would as she is perfectly place in her role as expert analyst

And is looks great

Not sure why you doubt what Paula Radcliffe has to say

She is the world marathon record holder, had mentored Mo Farah since he was a teenager, has competed and been world champion

I would as she is perfectly place in her role as expert analyst

And is looks great

I doubt her ability to express it particularly well - not her credibility or record.

I'm enjoying it although I think Moscow hasn't been a great choice of venue, especially after last year.

Quite a few of the events seem to have suffered due to athletes pulling out. Bolt didn't have a serious challenger and wasn't properly pushed making it much less of an event than previous years. Apparently the womens' heptathlon had the top 5 all out and the 800m appears to be missing David Rudisha.

I find it surprising that with all the modern professionalism in sport many of the Men's World Records of more traditional events are quite old and don't look likely to be challenged for a while. The 400m hurdles, High Jump, Long Jump, Pole Vault, Triple Jump, Shot Put, Hammer and Discuss all have records going back to the mid 90's and earlier. The Long Jump was won last year with a jump 63cm shorter than the WR.

When you consider the improvements in diet, athleticism and fitness of Football, Rugby, Tennis players etc it's testament to the professionalism of athletes from the past generations. Although perhaps if they didn't time it or measure it we'd presume that they were all better than ever as well?

Some of those records are pretty special, although there are several, especially in womens Athletics, that date back to the days when drug testing wasn't exactly enforced in some countries (allegedly). Marita Koch is still the WR holder for the 400m (1985) and Florence Griffith Joyner's 100m and 200m records still stand from 1988.

Edwards' triple jump record was freaky, he glided across the phases whereas if you watch most jumpers they tend to have one "hard" phase which seems to slow momentum.

As for some of the others, are they still using the same kit as they used to? 

Shhh...Ms Isinbaeva is on!

Put your hands on the table where we can see them.

Edwards' triple jump record was freaky, he glided across the phases whereas if you watch most jumpers they tend to have one "hard" phase which seems to slow momentum.

Edwards performance in that particular Worlds was staggering - two world records in the final, if I remember correctly. As you say, he seemed to glide through the phases - I've not seen anything as technically perfect from a jumping point of view before or since. An example of when everything goes right… text book (and then some).

As others have pointed out, some of the other records are dubious to say the least, and may never be bettered.

Great to see Christine beating Kathy Cook's ancient British record in winning the 400m by a nose (almost literally). She's a special athlete - her ability to come back from the dead in races is staggering. Presumably she has superb sprint endurance and loads her speed towards the end of races (E.G start relatively easy and relaxed, crank it up at the race goes on to reel in those in front of her). There was a stat in one of the newspaper reports yesterday that said that the combined winning margin for her three championship golds (Worlds 2007, Olympics 2008 and Worlds 2013) is 0.11 seconds. That's crazy.

Denise Lewis is still quite lovely... just needed saying...

shes married to tom o conners son you know? that's the old Liverpool comedian

where are the crowds in Moscow? looks pretty empty most of the time

Just watched the lasses steeplechase. It's a killer of an event with even the medal winners really struggling for rhythm due to fatigue.

Great to see Eilish McColgan running so strongly on the world stage. I used to love her Mum's attitude and bloody minded commitment.

where are the crowds in Moscow? looks pretty empty most of the time

The Luzhniki is a huge stadium. Most of those empty-looking evening sessions have had about 30-40,000 there. This time of year, apparently, most people who can afford it get the hell out of Moscow and go on holiday to escape the heat and humidity.

Last night of course, with Isinbaeva competing, it really filled up properly. When BARLA played Russia there, they had a very decent attendance for RL in Russia, but it looked pretty deserted.