Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longboard

World Athletics 2013

58 posts in this topic

I used to like her... a special athlete.  But it's easy to go off someone.  I'm sure she will be gutted mind you.

If she actually believes what she said, then she has a future in Russian politics - Sara Palinski!

If she's just toeing the Putin line in order to have a quiet life, she'd have been better off saying nothing.

Or maybe she's only clever at jumping over some sticks with another stick and is, in fact, a thick bimbo.

In an interview about the Isinbayeva comments, American middle distance runner Nick Simmonds said "I wanted to compete with a rainbow sticker but was told I would go to prison if I did that. It was suggested that if I pushed this too far it was a real possibility." :O 

Someone on Twitter pointed out thet Yelena Isinbayeva's name is an anagram of "Aye, I envy a lesbian". :D 

Everyone is on holiday and generally moscovites dont like sport 

CM

They'll turn out in droves for a homophobic pole vaulter, but that's pretty much it...

What I've never understood is how the times can sometimes be rounded down. It's not just in the world athletics, it's the running app on my phone as well.

I would expect that the time goes up in order so for instance if they record the time in thousands of a second but shows hundreds on TV it goes 9.493, 9.494, 9.495. 9.496 etc. I can imagine that the clock would stop at 9.49 on TV for all three and then it potentially be rounded up to 9.50. This way there is no instance where it could be rounded down as it would always have gone past that figure.

Just the way my mind works, seriously.

Good run by Gemili to get under 20 seconds in the 200m. Lets hope he can repeat it in the final. Outside chance of a bronze,

Has the BBC ditched Roger Black and Sally Gunnell?

Quite a long time ago, yes.

Good tournament overall, I thought.  Credit to the Women's 4x100 team for getting into the medals, albeit on a DQ - and, for the men, FOR GOODNESS SAKE YOU MUPPETS.

Great to see someone jump over 18m in the triple jump.  Very much enjoyed listening to Jonathan Edwards on the radio as it happened.

The BBC have a good team now and it works so much better without Inverdale.

Bonus Bronze for the Ladies sprint relay team, following a DQ for France. :) 

Good tournament overall, I thought.  Credit to the Women's 4x100 team for getting into the medals, albeit on a DQ - and, for the men, FOR GOODNESS SAKE YOU MUPPETS.

Great to see someone jump over 18m in the triple jump.  Very much enjoyed listening to Jonathan Edwards on the radio as it happened.

The BBC have a good team now and it works so much better without Inverdale.

Teddy Tamgho is erratic, but on a good day, he can threaten Jonathan's outstanding world record.

Adam Gemili is a very recent convert to Athletics (from Football) and I think there's a lot more to come from him. If he and Dasaolu can stay fit, they should drive each other on to faster and faster times.

Teddy Tamgho is erratic, but on a good day, he can threaten Jonathan's outstanding world record.

Adam Gemili is a very recent convert to Athletics (from Football) and I think there's a lot more to come from him. If he and Dasaolu can stay fit, they should drive each other on to faster and faster times.

The only issue I have with Gemili is that he looks a little like he's a bit too overawed by what's going on around.  His improvement over the past 12 months though has been very creditable.  I'm not sure what I make of Dasaolu - who appears to be fit about one week in four at the best of times.

Should also add that Tiffany Porter's bronze was noteworthy for how hard she worked for it.  And for how well she scrubs up when she isn't running.

She'll be wearing it proudly all the way back to America week

If it were a choice between keeping in the UK either the hot athlete or the whinging Taff who vacated his homeland long ago ...

She'll be wearing it proudly all the way back to America week

She's based in Loughborough.

She's based in Loughborough.

Don't you dare bring facts into this! ;) 

If it were a choice between keeping in the UK either the hot athlete or the whinging Taff who vacated his homeland long ago ...

... you'd pick the Taff, who at least is able to advise you that there is an "e" in whingeing.

She's an alum of Michigan and lives in Ann Arbor according to her website.

British citizen since birth though.

... you'd pick the Taff, who at least is able to advise you that there is an "e" in whingeing.

Nope.  Still no contest.

"Whinging" seems acceptable to the computer.  "Whingeing" also is.  I'll take it as being an example of Oxford English.