Whisky

Apparently Foursquare Spiced Rum is reviewed as

"On the palate fresh anise comes through prominently, developing into a complex array of sweet Caribbean spices with great balance between the spices and herbs; finishes with a slight ginger kick."

Maybe it's the ginger kick that I don't like....

I was very sceptical of rum, but was impressed when I when to The Rum Club in Copenhagen.  I described the whisk(e)y I liked and he gave me a rum, which I would not have recognised as rum from my previous experience.

He also served me bacardi (frankly, I would not have believed they can sell that stuff), and undiluted bacardi, which tends not to be readily available (almost drinkable, far better).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I'm tempted to try a rum that's been given a whisky-length ageing. I see Mocambo and Dictador do some 20-year-olds...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm tempted to try a rum that's been given a whisky-length ageing. I see Mocambo and Dictador do some 20-year-olds...

Where is Chairman M when you need him?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Japan's Suntory has drowned Diageo’s long-held dream to own Maker’s Mark bourbon with a knockout £9.7billion agreed cash bid for its American owner Beam.

The deal will see ownership of some of Scotland’s best loved whiskys head to Asia. Single malt Laphroaig and Teacher’s are owned by Beam, as is Sauza tequila.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-2538827/Japanese-company-Suntory-beats-Diageo-buy-Makers-Mark-US-owner-Beam.html

Edited by Tiny Tim

It looks like Laphroaig have discontinued the Cask Strength whisky!  I'm seriously minded to boycott the entire brand if that gets confirmed.

I always treat myself to a really nice bottle of whisky when I get the first invoice of a new contract paid, I was paid today and went to buy myself an 18yo Laphroaig and, while I was buying, a few of bottles of the Cask Strength to help fill out the box for them.  The Cask Strength was no longer in the "whisky" section of the online shop and a quick call to someone in the know said it was "no longer available from distributors".  I've sent them a message asking them to confirm.  I'm not buying that 18yo whisky until I get confirmation that the CS is just temporarily out of stock or something like that.

Edit:  Now that my panic has subsided, I remember that they bottle in annual batches, I'm just hoping that last year's bottling was so successful that it sold out rather than discontinued.

Edit 2:  The account manager (I think must I buy too much whisky if I have an account manager) called me back and told me that they've sold out of the entire annual batch and won't have any more until mid April at the earliest.  The perils of my favourite tipple becoming too popular :(

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just done a Tesco run... Decided to try a Tesco 10yo Islay single malt. Islay is a protected name, as is "single malt". That means it's a 10yo whisky from one of the 8 distilleries on the island. Now, I like every Islay whisky so it's going to be something I like at £10 cheaper. Also, it's like a late Christmas present as I get to experiment and guess what brand is hidden behind the Tesco label!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just done a Tesco run... Decided to try a Tesco 10yo Islay single malt. Islay is a protected name, as is "single malt". That means it's a 10yo whisky from one of the 8 distilleries on the island. Now, I like every Islay whisky so it's going to be something I like at £10 cheaper. Also, it's like a late Christmas present as I get to experiment and guess what brand is hidden behind the Tesco label!

I've been buying the Tesco Islay for a while. It's cracking value.

Edited by bearman

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I've been buying the Tesco Islay for a while. It's cracking value.

90% probability Bowmore

10% probability Bruichladdich

It's the sweet aftertaste, almost sherry like, that decided it for me. Very happy with that as a £21, 10yo Islay single malt. Clearly not in the standard of the older whiskies but a good peer of every other 10yo Islay malt

I find rum's like brandy in that it's a lot more enjoyable if you let it warm in the palm of your hand for a while (titter ye not).

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Aberlour A'Bunadh - Batch 42 (I'm pretty sure it's No.42, but I'd have to check). A cask-strength Speyside, finished in Oloroso barrels. Deep, dark, fabulous and (slightly) discounted at Waitrose.

A more detailed description and review.

Headed off to Waitrose yesterday to see if I could pick up a bottle. Not a drop to be had. Still, their excellent beer selection meant it wasn't a wasted journey.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

90% probability Bowmore

10% probability Bruichladdich

It's the sweet aftertaste, almost sherry like, that decided it for me. Very happy with that as a £21, 10yo Islay single malt. Clearly not in the standard of the older whiskies but a good peer of every other 10yo Islay malt

Now on my shopping list. Thanks Craig.

It looks like my local Tesco does not do this or has sold out already. Very much not impressed.

It looks like my local Tesco does not do this or has sold out already. Very much not impressed.

Apparently the other big supermarkets do similar Islay single malts. You too could have fun guessing the distillery!

Apparently the other big supermarkets do similar Islay single malts. You too could have fun guessing the distillery!

Had a nice one from Sainsburys last year but they never got in new stock.

I will have to keep looking.

Had a nice one from Sainsburys last year but they never got in new stock.

I will have to keep looking.

Sainsbury may have discontinued their own label single malts. I haven't seen any in my local branch for quite a long time now.

Edit: just checked their online shopping site, and they are no longer listed. :( 

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

On tonight's tasting is the Asda 12y/o Islay single malt.  It's not the same as the Tesco's 10y/o that I believe is a rebadged Bowmore, it smells more like an Ardbeg.  If it is then I'm going to be very happy with that as it only cost £20.50 and Sainsburys sell the 10y/o Ardbeg at £46.

On tonight's tasting is the Asda 12y/o Islay single malt.  It's not the same as the Tesco's 10y/o that I believe is a rebadged Bowmore, it smells more like an Ardbeg.  If it is then I'm going to be very happy with that as it only cost £20.50 and Sainsburys sell the 10y/o Ardbeg at £46.

80% convinced it's an Ardbeg but a wee bit of my brain is saying "you sure it's not a Lagavulin?".  I've always been convinced that Ardbeg is overpriced for what it is but it's a massive bargain at £20.50!

80% convinced it's an Ardbeg but a wee bit of my brain is saying "you sure it's not a Lagavulin?".  I've always been convinced that Ardbeg is overpriced for what it is but it's a massive bargain at £20.50!

Well Lagavulin is my favourite so I'll be buying a bottle tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

Ron Banks

Well Lagavulin is my favourite so I'll be buying a bottle tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

It's quite a fun game playing guess the whisky when you know it's one of eight. :)

Ooh, nice! I don't shop much at Asda, as there are other supermarkets a bit nearer to where I live, but I may make a trip up the Edgware Road to get a bottle of that own label Islay.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ooh, nice! I don't shop much at Asda, as there are other supermarkets a bit nearer to where I live, but I may make a trip up the Edgware Road to get a bottle of that own label Islay.

My nearest Asda hasn't got any. But there is a larger one not too far away, so I'll try there if I get a chance.

Ron Banks

My nearest Asda hasn't got any. But there is a larger one not too far away, so I'll try there if I get a chance.

My nearest Asda is a fairly big one, so i could get lucky.

Ralph Waldo Emerson