Whisky

Not sure on which colours are which now (They changed them) i used to really like Green label. Also Costco have double black on offer currently

Also this which i know nothing about - https://www.costco.co.uk/Food-Wine-Household/Spirits/Whisky/Auchroisk-25-Year-Old-Malt-Whisky-Special-Release-2016-70cl/p/250353

Edited by SSoutherner
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2018 at 5:35 PM, ckn said:

In addition to that fine young chap Futtock's advice, for your first shot at Islay whiskies (there's only 8 of them and the bottles will all say it) don't be afraid to half and half it with water.

Be aware this is a good mark of someone who hasn't a clue what they're talking about, many of the more robust Islay whiskies are far better with a touch of water.  I met the Laphroaig master distiller a few years ago and he was very clear that cask strength Islays MUST have at least a touch of water or you're missing much of the flavour that the water releases.

I was relaying this to my daughter today as my mum's second husband always had a glass or two of whisky in the evening which mum served with a small jug of water.  Back then I thought it would taste pretty horrid with water but reading the above it now makes sense. My daughter was asking if having it on the rocks would be the same or would the ice just ruin it?

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

22 minutes ago, heartofGold said:

I was relaying this to my daughter today as my mum's second husband always had a glass or two of whisky in the evening which mum served with a small jug of water.  Back then I thought it would taste pretty horrid with water but reading the above it now makes sense. My daughter was asking if having it on the rocks would be the same or would the ice just ruin it?

Ice changes the flavour a bit with the cold, some purists sneer at ice but if you like it then go with it. Ice also keeps changing the dilution as it melts. You can also get the stones you freeze if you like the cold but not the dilution. 

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

52 minutes ago, chuffer said:

cant understand the premise of drinking cold whisky?....always seems like the warmth is what you seek out of the drink, surely serving it at room temp aids in releasing the vapours for you to soak in through the nose as you're drinking it

Some like it because it dampens the vapours, some love Islay whiskies but don't like the overwhelming smell before it even gets to the tongue.  I prefer my 40%abv Islays neat but whisky is a personal preference, you drink it because you like it that way.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 1 month later...

Currently discounted to £25 at my local Sainsbury - Bowmore No.1. 

No age specified, and matured in first-fill bourbon casks, which does make it very smooth and a little sweeter. Then again, the Islay smokiness is less overt, which is a shame. 

Still, for the (discounted) price, it is a pretty good 'un.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just back from an Asda run. Wanted whisky. Laphroaig was £37. Asda Islay £18.50. So obviously I bought two bottles of the Asda stuff. 

4 hours ago, ckn said:

Just back from an Asda run. Wanted whisky. Laphroaig was £37. Asda Islay £18.50. So obviously I bought two bottles of the Asda stuff. 

• Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

On a whim I’ve bought someone English whisky from Norfolk as a present.

There’s no age on it although it is single malt albeit a young one.

Read a few mixed reviews since - anyone tried it?

Yup.... ordinary. Nothing about it leapt out at me..... i don't think I'd try it again for a while

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I had some a couple of years ago when it was first released.

It was definitely too young. Perfectly acceptable but needed more time in the barrel.

Edited by Bearman
  • Thanks 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

35 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I have a different view from my learned friends Robin and Bearman, I found it to be a mix of methylated spirits, cat urine and the worst of hard English water.  I was delighted I hadn't spent any money on it myself and had it as a free try. 

I can't see any circumstance where it will age into anything other than a harsh single malt with less than 15 years of ageing.  Most of the secret of good whisky comes from quality of ingredients and if you're starting with a baseline of the abysmally hard water you get in this area then it's garbage in, garbage out.  The problem is that leaving it long enough to make it good enough to drink would probably bankrupt the distillery in storage costs and lost sales.

4 hours ago, ckn said:

I have a different view from my learned friends Robin and Bearman, I found it to be a mix of methylated spirits, cat urine and the worst of hard English water.  I was delighted I hadn't spent any money on it myself and had it as a free try. 

I can't see any circumstance where it will age into anything other than a harsh single malt with less than 15 years of ageing.  Most of the secret of good whisky comes from quality of ingredients and if you're starting with a baseline of the abysmally hard water you get in this area then it's garbage in, garbage out.  The problem is that leaving it long enough to make it good enough to drink would probably bankrupt the distillery in storage costs and lost sales.

You’re really making me doubt whether I should be giving this to a real whisky connoisseur! ?

Might have to get a substitute whisky and drop the English Whisky as a Christmas present later in the year for someone with less discerning tastes.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Glenlivet.... I've declared my liking for this particular dram in the past.... on many occasions.....

Well.... 13.60 in tesco.... 13 pounds smeggin 60!!!!!

For a full-size bottle? :ohmy: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Yup. 70cl of speyside for 13 pounds 60 smeggin pence!!!!!!!!

Huuuuuuuge result.

I got 3 bottles......

Got my hopes up now... so I bet none of my local branches have the same deal. :angry: 

Ralph Waldo Emerson