Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bedlam breakout

if you were young and unemployed today

53 posts in this topic

I would contest the thought that going to university means almost nothing today. Our graduates seem to be in demand and the annual survey of our alumni supports this. Just recently I gave references for two graduates who are walking in to jobs on more than I am. I'm not bitter, they've worked hard for it and deserve their success. Going to university is much more than just an extension of school learning and gaining a degree is much more than just learning a subject.

I don't necessarily mean it is nothing. Just that the 'wow' factor is very diminished compared with years ago.

I don't necessarily mean it is nothing. Just that the 'wow' factor is very diminished compared with years ago.

I agree with that.

In the mid 1990s, a guy with a degree in civil engineering who could not get a job in that field joined US Corporation I world for. He joined as a temp on the switchboard. Hr is now the European VP of Marketing for a large division of Siemens. A few years earlier, young Matt, legally qualified, joined the same company, in the post room. He is now a "director" at KPMG in Aus.

Sometimes, you have to take a job, any job...