Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

topladtownie

Town v Keighley match thread

103 posts in this topic

Good win for Town under the conditions, injuries took their toll in the end, 3 good points against a team that was desperate for any points, Briscoe, Thackray, Lupton and Calderwood showed experience counts. Liked the way that Briscoe and Carter played at the back together, IMO a few positives to take.

I thought it was a good win what we needed gone up to 6th were safe now let's kick on. Thought Thackray Brett Phillips Briscoe and Carter had a very good game hopefully Olstrom will be okay he's arm was in a sling after the game and hope coward are Acton are fkne

Christ, there's some on here who talk a fantastic game but have they ever pulled on a top at any significant level and played the amount of games these lads  are having to play!! remember the lads have just beat the team who put 50 odd points on the greatest rugby team to ever take the field ;) It would be great if we had flowing rugby with the ball going from one side to the other, try's scored on every set, a great kicking game and won every game by 50 odd points ! I think some on here need to get their coaching badges out and get down to DP and help the boys out as obviously we have some serious talent out there going to waste. 

Well done Town a win will do me thank you very much.

Paddy Flynn didn't play as his still injured apparently!

Declan played well he made some yards in attack and tackled well too, gets better every game and returns the ball well!! A wet game in those conditions u can't really break away down the flanks!!

Well done Town, a great effort and the required result - but at some cost I fear! I hope Widnes have a spare Hooker and a couple of Props for Sunday.

Delighted we had briscoe on the field tonight what a leader from the back and also carter on the field tonight the complimented each other

Few weeks ago i suggested Carter on the wing and Briscoe at fullback and some of my fellow Town fans rubbished that idea saying he would be better playing at stand-off... Well, tonight he played on the wing and he didn't make too bad a hash of it!!!

I'd love to see Town signing Paddy for next season, but if he doesn't and Briscoe is here next season \I'd say  Miller and Carter are our best options for wingers,

Big raps for P. Lupton's tackling, put some big hits in and must have topped the tackle count tonight. Well done .

Paddy Flynn didn't play as his still injured apparently!

Declan played well he made some yards in attack and tackled well too, gets better every game and returns the ball well!! A wet game in those conditions u can't really break away down the flanks!!

I always liked Declan in the Academy at Widnes and was good in the centres.I do hope gets the chance at Widnes next year because Chris Dean and Marsh are the only decent centres at the moment.When these are injured we seem to play Wintersteine and Isa.Keep Hulme in the centre as his best postion.

Well done Town, a great effort and the required result - but at some cost I fear! I hope Widnes have a spare Hooker and a couple of Props for Sunday.

Well the hookers at Widnes are Clarke,White and Gore.White is injured for the season and Gore will be in the 17 to interchange with Clarke. I do not know how Craven or Gilmore will do at hooker but they are decent young halfbacks.Well Widnes have quite a few injuries in the forwards but Pickgersgill could be available.

The turning point of the game was the injury to Hayley. You scored through the gap he would have been defending. To then lose Lawton was a step to far.

If they had not have had to go of i think we would have won it to be honest. As there was noting between the teams before that.

It was always going to be a about damage limitation from then on. When Buster went over to get a bonus point i went mad, but then for the ref to nearly cancel it was horrible.

How the hell Briscoe got man of the match before Thackray is beyond me.

Never been to Worky before. Its a cracking ground and your fans were great.

One thing you wont be short of is amateur refs. The main stand was bloody full of them ;)

up the town were safe as can be now

Thats how you do it jambos hahahahahahaha

Just logged on this morning and can't believe how negative this thread is especially DavidM.

This game is 3 ds after a long day at Leeds on Sunday and I'll wager most players will have been back at work then to play a night match after work in what is the toughest sport in the world at the tail end of a sesson in a higher division the performance was good enough to get 3 points also bear in mind we had a recent spell of 3 games in 7 days.

personally I thought we played patient steady rugby and wore them down, you cant play lateral rugby without

going forward and the lads earned their winning pay, if it hadn't been for 2 late tries, 1 very debatable then it would have been a cakewalk. A few posters on her have obviously never been in a collidion , after 20 years playing

Amateur my body is wrecked so I wouldn't like to know how it feels at this level, the players are flesh and blood just like us so get a grip

Just logged on this morning and can't believe how negative this thread is especially DavidM.

This game is 3 ds after a long day at Leeds on Sunday and I'll wager most players will have been back at work then to play a night match after work in what is the toughest sport in the world at the tail end of a sesson in a higher division the performance was good enough to get 3 points also bear in mind we had a recent spell of 3 games in 7 days.

personally I thought we played patient steady rugby and wore them down, you cant play lateral rugby without

going forward and the lads earned their winning pay, if it hadn't been for 2 late tries, 1 very debatable then it would have been a cakewalk. A few posters on her have obviously never been in a collidion , after 20 years playing

By next Thursday I make it Town will have played 7 games in approx. 28 days, bloody good going I would say and they also have fulltime jobs to do, think superman would struggle with that.

Well done again lads.

well said gonch. i think some on here watch super league and the nrl and expect that level off semi pro players. you play to your strengths and town have done that to have a bloody good season. yes we all have a moan about games like donny at home or keighley away but after a pretty comfortable win against a team coming off a big win is uncalled for. the lads need our support and critism about every game is not helping anyone

The turning point of the game was the injury to Hayley. You scored through the gap he would have been defending. To then lose Lawton was a step to far.

If they had not have had to go of i think we would have won it to be honest. As there was noting between the teams before that.

It was always going to be a about damage limitation from then on. When Buster went over to get a bonus point i went mad, but then for the ref to nearly cancel it was horrible.

How the hell Briscoe got man of the match before Thackray is beyond me.

Never been to Worky before. Its a cracking ground and your fans were great.

One thing you wont be short of is amateur refs. The main stand was bloody full of them ;)

Sorry I have to disagree. It took us a while to get going last night and once in front I dont think winning was in doubt.also we eased off towards the end and its understandable Given our fixture pile up. Cougars deserved a BP and best of luck with your fight to stay up.

I'll stick by my opinions which after re-reading I think are all valid . It's nothing to do with supporting the team or not , which is pretty offensive after many decades . And we've had this argument about playing the game or not . Sore bodies I can take and work etcetc , but my general point is we see the same deficiencies repeated do we not , regardless of result ? And just because you highlight them it doesn't mean you expect the opposite extreme of perfection.Im not here to be a cheerleader , I support the team but my frustration comes from perennially feeling that there's more there than we ever really see for some reason . Many times without last night's excuses we see the same things ?

The negativity on here is incredible !!! After what they done to haven I was fearing the worst last night, but it turned out to be a comfortable win, their 2 late tries made the score line look respectable. Congratulations to everyone associated with the club at getting us into the position of being safe with 3 games to go.

Wasn't it great last night to watch the game under floodlights, even with a small crowd and bad weather there just seemed to be a better atmosphere, I loved it.

let's all get down to Barrow and cheer our Knackered team on, they will need our support.

UP THE TOWN

The negativity on here is incredible !!! After what they done to haven I was fearing the worst last night, but it turned out to be a comfortable win, their 2 late tries made the score line look respectable. Congratulations to everyone associated with the club at getting us into the position of being safe with 3 games to go.

Wasn't it great last night to watch the game under floodlights, even with a small crowd and bad weather there just seemed to be a better atmosphere, I loved it.

let's all get down to Barrow and cheer our Knackered team on, they will need our support.

UP THE TOWN

I agree unicorn.IMO We dominated the middle part of the game but maybe the start and the end of the game was due to a bit of fatigue and who can blame them. The RFL needs to sort this out. No club should be playing this amount of fixtures is a short space of time.

I'll stick by my opinions which after re-reading I think are all valid . It's nothing to do with supporting the team or not , which is pretty offensive after many decades . And we've had this argument about playing the game or not . Sore bodies I can take and work etcetc , but my general point is we see the same deficiencies repeated do we not , regardless of result ? And just because you highlight them it doesn't mean you expect the opposite extreme of perfection.Im not here to be a cheerleader , I support the team but my frustration comes from perennially feeling that there's more there than we ever really see for some reason . Many times without last night's excuses we see the same things ?

So what's your solution then David?

3 points were the goal last night, and despite a hard game at Hunslet on Sunday our lads turned up and ground out a fantastic win against a team with their tails up after beating Haven and fighting relegation. Would you rather we played attractive rugby and got relegated? Given the injuries I thought we played excellent in patches against a decent team.

Thacks had a long stint with Actons injury, had a great game and was my mom but for whatever reason you say he is caviar or CABBAGE - really ??

Briscoe was awesome, Carter on the wing was fantastic, etc etc. Did anyone have a bad game?

This season should be looked at as a great achievement, we are currently 6th with 3 games to play. Everyone would have taken that in February. Our players have stood up to the Championship superbly and despite this ridiculous run of games are still winning games and playing well.

It's time we started giving credit out instead of criticism in my opinion.

totally agree about thacks, other than the couple of weeks before he got dropped he has been great. and last night was his best performance last year. he played the best part of an hour and really put his hand up.

I've no solution , but if the wrinkles were smoothed out a bit things would become a little easier because I'm convinced we have the raw materials there to give it to most , but to often we're battling ourselves . We have the component parts and huge endeavour . Thacks is a mixture , we've all said that , but I said last night he was bang on , and all that overcame any downside . Carter / Briscoe was the biggest positive .