Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

topladtownie

Town v Keighley match thread

103 posts in this topic

The concensus of the people I spoke to after the game and this morning was that it was a hard game but we made it harder than maybe it should have been, in fact that is said in one or two posts in this thread by some.

Because someone expresses a view contrary to your own doesn't mean that they are any less of a Town fan than yourself. Some prefer to make excuses for the team others look at areas where they could have done better. Playing devils advocate here yes we had a long journey to Hunslet at the weekend but our opponents had that same journey in the opposite direction twice!!! Yes, they brought in 5 or 6 new faces but we had 4 different players from Sunday!! Yes, it was a wet evening and not conducive to a passing game but can anyone deny that Keighley passed it around more and faster than us?

My own opinion is that we need to do better as an attacking force because other teams can work us out so easily and it becomes harder and harder each game to score as our points "for" in the league table shows. At the end of the day, as I said in my previous post, we achieved our objective of picking up the 3 points and it would have been nice to have stopped Keighley from getting their bonus point but so much defence and tired bodies through our one man style of play told in the end.

Let's move on.

The concensus of the people I spoke to after the game and this morning was that it was a hard game but we made it harder than maybe it should have been, in fact that is said in one or two posts in this thread by some.

Because someone expresses a view contrary to your own doesn't mean that they are any less of a Town fan than yourself. Some prefer to make excuses for the team others look at areas where they could have done better. Playing devils advocate here yes we had a long journey to Hunslet at the weekend but our opponents had that same journey in the opposite direction twice!!! Yes, they brought in 5 or 6 new faces but we had 4 different players from Sunday!! Yes, it was a wet evening and not conducive to a passing game but can anyone deny that Keighley passed it around more and faster than us?

My own opinion is that we need to do better as an attacking force because other teams can work us out so easily and it becomes harder and harder each game to score as our points "for" in the league table shows. At the end of the day, as I said in my previous post, we achieved our objective of picking up the 3 points and it would have been nice to have stopped Keighley from getting their bonus point but so much defence and tired bodies through our one man style of play told in the end.

Let's move on.

You haven,t done too bad this season keith we know theres a top 5 but none of us would have thought haven or town would be challenging for best of the rest both teams have done excellent and a little bit of fine tuning for both teams and we,ll both narrow the gap to 5th next season or matbe even get there

Who on this thread claimed anyone was less of a fan than anyone else because they didn't share the same opinion Keith?

I agree with you that our attack can be sharpened, but if we haven't got the scrum half or whoever to do what is necessary for these chips over the top or bullet passes then shouldn't we be sticking to the strengths of the players we have? Off loads etc can be a good weapon but then if the player doesn't get it right then he will get slated. ( Dowes & Thacks have both had that on here) 

Looking forward to the lovely trip to Barrow, I just hope we can field a team!!

We've done really well this season, on the whole we've been consistent and not been far off beating some of the top teams, and the quality of the games is so much better than we've been used to. Last night was about getting the points and well done for that, but i think some people's comments aren't about that one game which wasn't pretty but effective.

I for one am looking with a view to next season, this year we've played "safe" rugby and it's got us where we are but as well as getting results i want to watch good rugby. Ok we don't have any of the stars we loved to watch like Jimmy, Mully, Hepi etc. but at some point we need to do more to a) entertain the speccies B ) attract new ones and c) have a chance of becoming a top 5 team. I don't know if the current coaches are able to provide that kind of rugby or if they just haven't got the tools for the job i.e. a settled halfback combo and some running centres.

Congratulations to all involved in securing another season in this division where Workington Town belongs.

Some folk are hard to please. I enjoyed a good defensive effort from both sides, which made scoring more satisfying. Well done everybody. Now lets try to stay in the top 8.

Just done me maths again and by next Thursday, Town will have played 7 games in 25 days ! again  well bloody done everyone one of you, may not be the most attractive play but am proud off you all, we have stayed up which was the main objective, we can look forward to next year and I am sure the board are looking for the next Wally Lewis and Peter Stirling to keep some people happy ;)  

Some people revell in being negative there's always far more posts after a bad performance than after a good one. I think the team, results wise, have faired a lot better than most realistic people anticipated this season and to secure our participation in the championship next season with 3 games to go has to be an achievement, even more so when you consider that even the bottom teams have bunched up and are all beating each other.

We have to be realistic as to where we are and look back to where we were a few year ago as if we were in that position all the complaints and negativity would be understandable.

Rome wasn't built in a day and its about improvement and sustainability rather than the boom and bust business model some clubs operate under.

Some people do seem to go to games just to be able to complain about it and revel in pessimism, its really rather odd. Other fans of certain teams go the other way and have absolutely no grasp on reality, as seen by 2 numpties believing shaven will beat Leigh away this weekend, I kid you not.

Well I think this season has been a success, apart from being mathematically safe, I never believed we were in danger, we have a team to be proud of, yes they frustrate at times but isn't that part of the deal with town.

Onwards and upwards, massive well done boys.

This season was about staying in this league then building on that for next season so mission accomplished! The keighley local press say we won through capitalising on them losing two players through injury. Lucky us eh lol

They are right, we were lucky that we had the full 17 to pick from for the full 80. Oh wait...

Thoroughly desrved victory, last nights performance was solid and workman like. Hadn't realised towns injury plight until Charlos comments on radio. Disappointed about some comments from the terracing, where calderwood got the brunt of it, he deserves more repect.

Calderwood is siht!! My asre falls out everytime the opposition kick to him.

Calderwood hasnt been bad every game he has had some good games however I would be suprised if we bring him back next season.

Jeering the lad is going to do nothing for his confidence - a confident mark calderwood can be an asset

Jeering the lad is going to do nothing for his confidence - a confident mark calderwood can be an asset

Agree 100%!!! 

Hang on has anyone ever said that to you on here TF10???  :P

Calderwood against Whitehaven in the playoffs last season was terrific!!

He travels up from Leeds area and had a go he has 3 or 4 more games left in his pro career I say get behind him

He has been awful, we could of brought an amateur in on half the wage and who was alot safer on the ball. I think,maybe we could of seen a better side to Calderwood if we had got the ball out to him more often. But thats down to the way we play, we,in my opinion arent expansive enough but thats down to the coaches and the way they want the team to play.

First thing, how do you know how much he's getting paid and secondly he was playing well at the start of the season before his injury. Agree on the expansion tho

I dont know how much he is on but I bet he is on a fair bit... he had a good couple of games yea but for me he shouldnt be in the team.

Hope I get proved wrong in the last 3 games... :/