Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bar red

New Balls Please

47 posts in this topic

Gilbert made the 8 panelled ball used in the 2000 World Cup

The Rhino ball is terrible in wet conditions, it didn't take the players long to realise this which is why one or two have been cautioned by the ref for squirting water on the ball before a drop out.

Being the saddo that I am, I wanted to know whether the effect of the Rhino balls had shown up on the Opta statistics that are taken at every game.

They don't have a statistic for knock ons but they do for errors. Whilst this can include a number of things, you'd expect there to be an increase. The results surprised me. On average in 2012 there were 24.8 errors per game and in 2013 so far there has been an average of 24.8 errors per game. Remarkably consistent I'm sure you'll agree.

This does seem counter however to the recent RL that we have seen. I certainly don't recall many games like today, Warrington last week or Hulls quarter final for sheer number of knock ons. There seems to be a lot that slip out the tackle too and the players on twitter seem to dislike the ball.

Maybe players are being shown up as not having the same skill to control the ball now?  Back in the day in the mud and rain that happened every week players had to learn how to catch and control the ball without the aids of grips on the ball

Maybe players are being shown up as not having the same skill to control the ball now?  Back in the day in the mud and rain that happened every week players had to learn how to catch and control the ball without the aids of grips on the ball

But wasn't the game a lot slower back then?

I don't think this is true otherwise we would see a gradual decreasing of skills down through the leagues and always would have done. When Widnes were in the lower reaches of the Championship we didn't see this anything like this amount of handling errors. 

Maybe players are being shown up as not having the same skill to control the ball now? Back in the day in the mud and rain that happened every week players had to learn how to catch and control the ball without the aids of grips on the ball

Nah.

The ball is promoted by 1-13 far more hear days, it's the norm rather than the exception. The Rhino is a dud compared to The Steeden.

A friend of mine attended a forum at Saints on Wednesday night and this subject was raised. Someone from Saints (Mike Rush) said he believed the Rhino deal was worth a total of £1,500 more to the RFL then the Steeden deal. :O

I asked my mate if that was for the life of the deal or per year and he wasn't sure. 

Anyone remember the old mitre balls? They were hard to catch in any conditions especially slippy ones. However players rarely dropped the ball and had great handling skills

Anyone remember the old mitre balls? They were hard to catch in any conditions especially slippy ones. However players rarely dropped the ball and had great handling skills

Poor quality trolling.

Bring back the old-skool Mitre Multiplex

Being the saddo that I am, I wanted to know whether the effect of the Rhino balls had shown up on the Opta statistics that are taken at every game.

They don't have a statistic for knock ons but they do for errors. Whilst this can include a number of things, you'd expect there to be an increase. The results surprised me. On average in 2012 there were 24.8 errors per game and in 2013 so far there has been an average of 24.8 errors per game. Remarkably consistent I'm sure you'll agree.

This does seem counter however to the recent RL that we have seen. I certainly don't recall many games like today, Warrington last week or Hulls quarter final for sheer number of knock ons. There seems to be a lot that slip out the tackle too and the players on twitter seem to dislike the ball.

I guess the weather would be a factor and hence needs comparison as that could hide any statistical discrepancy.

The eye opener for me was the Hull v Catalan CC game... both teams spilling the ball so often their had to be an issue...

I guess the weather would be a factor and hence needs comparison as that could hide any statistical discrepancy.

The eye opener for me was the Hull v Catalan CC game... both teams spilling the ball so often their had to be an issue...

I agree. I picked this up straight away and it spoilt the game for me a little. I knew this was so slippy it was going to be dropped the whole way through so was expecting it. It was the same feeling at the CCF.

Yet, this week everything was back to normal. So how the ball behaves in the wet is an real issue.

It should be remembered that it rained all summer in 2012, whereas this year has been unusually dry.

Trolling? How so?

That's what I thought too! Was a genuine post commenting on the handling skills when we had harder-to-catch balls in any kind of weather

That's what I thought too! Was a genuine post commenting on the handling skills when we had harder-to-catch balls in any kind of weather

whilst I don't think you were trolling, you have no evidence to suggest that there were fewer errors with the Mitre ball, it is just another example of your 'everything was better in the olden days' campaign.

I assume stats like this would be difficult to get hold of.

players rarely dropped the ball and had great handling skills

You didn't go to Salford often did you?

You didn't go to Salford often did you?

Or Warrington.

We never used to see the tries from wingers like Joel Monaghan scored against Saints the other night for example. Tremendous ball handling skill that a player like Des Drummond could never have done.

whilst I don't think you were trolling, you have no evidence to suggest that there were fewer errors with the Mitre ball, it is just another example of your 'everything was better in the olden days' campaign.

I assume stats like this would be difficult to get hold of.

Dave - I didnt say that there were fewer errors. I'm sure there were probably more given the weather and slippier ball - however I dont recall much difference even back then, which was why I commented on good handling skills. Would be interesting to see the stats though (not sure stats like this were counted untl sky came in).

Dave - I didnt say that there were fewer errors. I'm sure there were probably more given the weather and slippier ball - however I dont recall much difference even back then, which was why I commented on good handling skills. Would be interesting to see the stats though (not sure stats like this were counted untl sky came in).

You said that there were rarely dropped balls and players had great handling skills then. That suggests you don't think it's the same now.