Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

welshmagpie

Rugby League's second derby?

108 posts in this topic

Behind the hull derby, although some may contest it, what do you all think to be the next biggest derby in British RL? Take into account passion from the fans, the ferocity of the occasion and the effort on the pitch.

Behind the hull derby, although some may contest it, what do you all think to be the next biggest derby in British RL? Take into account passion from the fans, the ferocity of the occasion and the effort on the pitch.

For me, Fev/Cas.

2nd derby is clearly saints v wigan.

1st derby is Wigan v Saints.

I agree its Saints v Wigan Either way.As far as an old b____r like me is concerned Leeds hasn't had a derby since the demise of Hunslet and for that you have to go back to the 60s.

In terms of passion for the fans they are all the same.

Apart from any involving Huddersfield, obviously.

The current Earl of Derby has confirmed that his family gave their name to only two sporting events; The Horse Race and the Rugby League match between St. Helens and local rivals Wigan.

So there is only one derby in RL.

Saints Wigan can only have become a derby after the demise of Recs and Highfield, shurely?

I hear Leigh v Tyldesley was bit tasty.

In the early years of super league when Bradford bulls were a rising power the Leeds v Bradford games were huge, I think there was regular 20,000+ crowds at odsal and headingley and even a super league record crowd of 24,000 at odsal prior to the building of wigans new ground.

British comedy is alive and well.

The current Earl of Derby has confirmed that his family gave their name to only two sporting events; The Horse Race and the Rugby League match between St. Helens and local rivals Wigan.[/size]

So there is only one derby in RL.[/size]

And who exactly cares what some Earl says or does.....For me Earl...sic..Crabtree has as much relevance.

My Dad told me that the Hull Rovers (always in that order home or away) was the only true Derby , a town split by a river, one side black one side red. None of this nonsense red v off red (cherry).

Yeah who cares what lord derby said about a derby, I mean what does someone called derby know about derby, clearly the word derby has no relation to the word derby and nor should it

Yeah who cares what lord derby said about a derby, I mean what does someone called derby know about derby, clearly the word derby has no relation to the word derby and nor should it

see, even janner agrees.

Thrown your hat into the ring there.  ;)

Or to Hull. What right does some inbreeding in the upper classes give to anyone to "name" our grudge game?

This all started when some Stain or Wiggie needed to claim with their usual arrogance that they ..the chosen ones..know best. Mr Derby deserves no credit. Now be off with you!

Hull is the most local of Derby games as both teams are in Kingston.

Wigan v Saints is the biggest Derby in the national psyche, it got listed as one of the top ten sporting events to attend in one of the nationals a few years back.

Leeds v Bradford is a bit of a made up Sky TV Derby.

Maybe not in terms of crowd size, but certainly in terms of passion, they don't come any bigger than Fev/Cas.  When worked in Cas, I used to buy my daily paper from a guy called Mick who had a shop on Methley Road near the Fourways.  He was a nice bloke, we'd chat about rugby and have the craic.  But I once saw him at a Cax/Fev game at Wheldon Road, he was an animal!

Wigan v Saints is the biggest Derby in the national psyche

Why is this sort of comment only ever stated by Wiganers or Sintellens' fans.