Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE RED ROOSTER

Who should replace London Broncos in Superleague 2014 ?

378 posts in this topic

That run down pit village your referring to as better attendance averages than some SL clubs. It will have a centre of excellence in no time which not all SL clubs have. It also as a wealthy backer which some SL clubs don't have. It is also upgrading its ground which some SL clubs grounds haven't been upgraded since WW2. Need I go on to curb your arrogance towards a pit village team?.But as for London I hope they stay in SL and can get through this crisis.

This

This game is in serious trouble if a team from the capital of England is replaced by a team from a run down pit village.

I think the RFL want London out of Super League. Its as simple as that. If the RFL can't get a decent sponsor now for Super League heavens knows whats going to happen as we retreat to out heartlands on the M62 corridor. Our best bet could be a fracking company.

This game is in serious trouble if a team from the capital of England is replaced by a team from a run down pit village.

A run down pit village team that so often embarrassed the so called big guns and indeed will do so again. Sorry to disappoint you but elitism in a minority sport like RL was never going to work. Get used to the idea.

You could say it's merely a return to the status quo ante bellum. London were artificially placed in SL from it's inception. They have been given a good long run to make it and, unfortunately have not succeeded.

I don't think London are regarded as a big ratings draw by Sky. They  might well get more mileage from hyping the David v Goliath aspect of the smallest village in England with a pro team versus the Man United, Arsenal like giants of Wigan, Leeds et al that could be marketed should Fev get a SL spot in London's place.

I don't think the game would be in serious trouble at all. In fact the development of a healthy rivalry between Skolars, Broncos, Hemel and even Oxford might do more to promote the strength of the game in the south East and, with p and r back on the table, lead to one or more of those teams graduating to SL on merit this time when they are ready to step up..

As for London, the best solution may be to start 3-4 London based Championship 1 clubs in the Broncos place, and allow them to slowly build from the bottom up. 

Another still peddling the myth that RL clubs grow from the bottom up. There's a long long history of them not growing from the bottom up going back decades. Outside SL none of them get the crowds, the money, the decent players or the interest, so how do you come up with this growth thing? Reality is large injections of capital create growth but only if large enough.

If you think otherwise let me know the clubs who crew from little acorns to great oaks....

I may have missed something but who with any official power and authority says London will not be there next season?

I realise that the naysayers would like them to go as part of a master plan to see rugby league restored to its former glory where every northern town club attracted 30000 gates, we always beat Australia by 100 points and all players were active pitmen and the salt of the earth. But if you'd stumped up millions to keep the club going, would you yield to a bunch of northern isolationists?

That run down pit village your referring to as better attendance averages than some SL clubs. It also as a wealthy backer

And if it didn't it could easily still be in CC1.

And if it didn't it could easily still be in CC1.

My post was to curb the arrogance of another post and yes we easily could and probably would but the same could also be said for some SL clubs too.

That run down pit village your referring to as better attendance averages than some SL clubs. It will have a centre of excellence in no time which not all SL clubs have. It also as a wealthy backer which some SL clubs don't have. It is also upgrading its ground which some SL clubs grounds haven't been upgraded since WW2. Need I go on to curb your arrogance towards a pit village team?.But as for London I hope they stay in SL and can get through this crisis.

Statistical note (league games only):

Fev's average attendance this season with one game to go: 2404 (one under 2000).

Bronco's average with programme completed: 2213 (six under 2000).

I'm just trying to think which grounds haven't been upgraded since WW2.

Ah Gaz - you're the Master of Hyperbole. :happy:

I'm just trying to think which grounds haven't been upgraded since WW2.

Ah Gaz - you're the Master of Hyperbole. :happy:

Richie it was a far fetched expression but you know which teams haven't upgraded their grounds in years/decades.

I may have missed something but who with any official power and authority says London will not be there next season?

Nobody is saying it but when even Ian Ramsdale of the excellent RL Down South podcast, BBC &c can't get any information *at all* about what the situation is then you have to admit it's not looking certain that they will be there.

Nope.

They did. London were laying on and ripping the ball all game and were only penalised for it towards the end, when the result was sorted.

That said, London were the better team on the day and worthy winners.

I just wish he didn't sound so much like he's rallying troops.

I also wish they'd find a photo that doesn't make him look like a politician at a party conference. That said, if he can replicate some of the positivity and recent squad strengthening seen at Salford, he'll do for me :D

I just wish he didn't sound so much like he's rallying troops.

The thing is though, every promise Feisal has ever made, he's delivered on.

The thing is though, every promise Feisal has ever made, he's delivered on.

Just at Fev ?  Or everywhere ?

Just at Fev, obviously

Don't listen to Richie PR. he's just jealous we can fill a taxi to away games lol.

If the league is going down to 12 why bother replacing... just relegate one more before 2015

If the league is going down to 12 why bother replacing... just relegate one more before 2015

I think that would of happened but its the magic weekend that's the problem as one team would miss out on that weekend.That in effect would mean a team at the end of this season would have to be relegated.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, whichever division the Broncos find themselves in, they should bite the bullet, move in with the Skolars at New River Stadium and work together with the RFL to develop a permanent base for rugby league in the capital.

It's not a state of the art venue at present but it's well located and could more than handle London's current crowds and the whole site is ripe for development when the time suits.

IM2 will be able to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure the lease is also available to buy.

It just makes so much sense it's untrue.

I personally would run with 13 and invite a Championship All Stars team to play at Magic (and draw the fixtures out of a hat).

Given Feisal's statement this morning, it's all very exciting, but this is not how I want us to enter SL.  I'm quite happy to wait for promotion at the end of 2015.

I personally would run with 13 and invite a Championship All Stars team to play at Magic (and draw the fixtures out of a hat).

Given Feisal's statement this morning, it's all very exciting, but this is not how I want us to enter SL. I'm quite happy to wait for promotion at the end of 2015.

Just give the Dragons a BYE at Magic.