Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE RED ROOSTER

Who should replace London Broncos in Superleague 2014 ?

378 posts in this topic

The thing is though, every promise Feisal has ever made, he's delivered on.

Certainly good times at Fev right now.

But I thought Fev wanted return of P&R so they could come up? Now what they are effectively getting is a SL licence for one year (I suspect until Toulouse are up and running), and then the bottom team is replaced by Toulouse.

Given Fev will only have a few months to prepare, I think they would be long shots to survive. they will probably try and do what Hull KR did (and still do) and load their team up with 10-12 Qld-Cup standard Australians. Also, 4,000 average crowds is not a very ambitious target for the club. That's not much better than what the Broncos get.

I hope Fev fans are prepared for criticism next year though. All year Fev fans have been the most vocal about bringing back P&R. Now, if they are given a SL licence, they would have effectively 'sold out'. Will they be immune to the criticism's of fans of Halifax and Leigh when they are performing poorly, playing all Australian starting 13's and drawing small crowds?

Either way, I suspect this is a fortunate occurrence for the RFL long-term. By bringing in Fev and then letting them (likely) get relegated next year for Toulouse, they are effectively 'throwing the dogs a bone', so that when they fail and SL goes back to a closed shop in 2015 (with 2 French teams), the RFL can say 'look, we gave a traditional Championship club a turn, and look how bad they went', Thus justifying licencing and shutting a few people up for 5 years.

Dangerous game being played here by the RFL, if as I suspect, they are courting Feisal, with a place in SL due to his heavy investment in Fev and also this RLWC deal, only to see Fev replaced the following year. He could decide to take his investment elsewhere. He may well not decide todo that, but he might.

But I thought Fev wanted return of P&R so they could come up? Now what they are effectively getting is a SL licence for one year (I suspect until Toulouse are up and running), and then the bottom team is replaced by Toulouse.

Given Fev will only have a few months to prepare, I think they would be long shots to survive. they will probably try and do what Hull KR did (and still do) and load their team up with 10-12 Qld-Cup standard Australians. Also, 4,000 average crowds is not a very ambitious target for the club. That's not much better than what the Broncos get.

I hope Fev fans are prepared for criticism next year though. All year Fev fans have been the most vocal about bringing back P&R. Now, if they are given a SL licence, they would have effectively 'sold out'. Will they be immune to the criticism's of fans of Halifax and Leigh when they are performing poorly, playing all Australian starting 13's and drawing small crowds?

Either way, I suspect this is a fortunate occurrence for the RFL long-term. By bringing in Fev and then letting them (likely) get relegated next year for Toulouse, they are effectively 'throwing the dogs a bone', so that when they fail and SL goes back to a closed shop in 2015 (with 2 French teams), the RFL can say 'look, we gave a traditional Championship club a turn, and look how bad they went', Thus justifying licencing and shutting a few people up for 5 years.

Have you not seen the changes the RFL has in mind post-2015?

Personally, I think it's suicidal of Fev to try to gain entry next year. They'd be better served building a Super League ready squad next year and the. mounting a big push for top four in the middle eight twelve months later.

Personally, I think it's suicidal of Fev to try to gain entry next year. They'd be better served building a Super League ready squad next year and the. mounting a big push for top four in the middle eight twelve months later.

You're right, that would be the smart move. However if you're a lower league team and the RFL gives you the golden ticket, you take it don't you. The stars in the eyes overshadow logic and reason. I truly believe the RFL may have done a masterstroke here. they know Fev fans have been the most vocal about bringing back P&R. I think they will use their expected failure next year to highlight why P&R doesn't work, while at the same time giving Toulouse time to prepare properly.

You're right, that would be the smart move. However if you're a lower league team and the RFL gives you the golden ticket, you take it don't you. The stars in the eyes overshadow logic and reason. I truly believe the RFL may have done a masterstroke here. they know Fev fans have been the most vocal about bringing back P&R. I think they will use their expected failure next year to highlight why P&R doesn't work, while at the same time giving Toulouse time to prepare properly.

If that is the case, and I don't think it is what the RFL are thinking, then they're running the risk of it all going to pot if Fev ended up not being in the bottom 2. Worth that risk rather than just running with 13 clubs for a year. If the only issue is the Magic weekend being a team short then I'm sure a simple workaround could be agreed. 

I agree, however I can see the temptation to snatch The RFL's hand off if they make the offer.

Just give the Dragons a BYE at Magic.

That would be the best arrangement I think all round.

That's a fine theory, however the structure for the future is all but agreed and according to Cas' Cheif Exec at a recent fans meeting, Toulouse is already a done deal and they start in SL2 in 2015.

FWIW, I don't see how we can go up at short notice under the current system and expect to be anything but whipping boys, unless of course London's exit has been long planned and we got the nod a while ago.

The problem with that is that to get the players for creating a team capable of challenging in the top 8 of SL then you need to pay over the odds to tempt them away from their current club and then you run into salary cap issues far more quickly than other clubs.  Then you have the very real fact that you cannot just shove a bunch of players together and hope they'll play well as a team within the first six months.  Three choices really, accept a poor to mediocre season and hope you stay up at the end of it while you build a team capable of competing next season, buy in a 4-5 marquee players and hope your current players can step up to SL level, or you pretend the salary cap doesn't exist.

Also, unless I've missed something concrete, has anyone official actually said that London are likely to drop next season?  I may have missed something in one of these threads somewhere as I've been a bit busy in the last few days.

FWIW, I don't see how we can go up at short notice under the current system and expect to be anything but whipping boys, unless of course London's exit has been long planned and we got the nod a while ago.

Precisely how I see it.

Of course, us fans don't always know the full story so I'm happy to go with the judgement of the club's management were any offer to step up actually be made.

Also, unless I've missed something concrete, has anyone official actually said that London are likely to drop next season?  I may have missed something in one of these threads somewhere as I've been a bit busy in the last few days.

I can't remember if I said on here or not but Ian Ramsdale who normally seems to be pretty accurate has been struggling to get any information from either the RFL or London Broncos about what their plans are at all for next season.  He's of the opinion that *something* will change for them between now and 2014 but isn't being drawn on what that might be.  Not existing at all is certainly an option.

Don't listen to Richie PR. he's just jealous we can fill a taxi to away games lol.

Just asking for clarification, Gaz.

And if it didn't it could easily still be in CC1.

As could and were the Broncos and in a worse ground and on less gates than any Northern SL team. Did you ever go the Chiswick Polytecnic.?

Peope in glass houses etc etc.

1. Featherstone are on 100% more gates than London and that's playing in the Championship against Hunslet, Swinton, York and the like.

2. Featherstone current team is decent. It would not need more than a few new SL standard players to compete. With the monet promised today by their investor, they would be able to pick up players.

3. Toulouse do not have the quality of team that Featherstone have. They would have to recruit a whole squad. I do not know either if the level of financing promised has materialised.

4. I have my reservations with the 3 x 8 format but it will not be a closed shop. If a team can invest and perform there is a road for promotion to SL.

5. Given the state of the Broncos and Salford and Bradford prior to their recent resurrections, not to mention the Crusaders, how can you claim licencing has been nirvana for the sport.?

I hope Fev fans don't get too excited by all this. As good as Fev (and obviously the mighty Fax) are, there is probably more chance of Oxford getting a place in SL than any of the top Championship clubs who have earnt a place.

If that is the case, and I don't think it is what the RFL are thinking, then they're running the risk of it all going to pot if Fev ended up not being in the bottom 2.

Whats the problem. If Nahaboo and his money partners are in for the long run then get them in now, the game needs these people as he says. If they get relegated they simply stay full time and come charging back. If London aren't chucked out then still bring him in if he's going to spend millions - chuck someone skint out.

Just at Fev ?  Or everywhere ?

Maybe Feisal feels more appreciated at Fev than anywhere else. As Ponterover says, he's delivered on every promise made. The run down pit village team is on the rise.

If we were to come straight back down at the end of next season we would do so with top central funding which would give us a better chance than the rest of getting straight back up. What is there to lose?

Whats the problem. If Nahaboo and his money partners are in for the long run then get them in now, the game needs these people as he says. If they get relegated they simply stay full time and come charging back. If London aren't chucked out then still bring him in if he's going to spend millions - chuck someone skint out.

It was Goldcoaster's point I was replying to, not the prospect of what would happen to Fev's funding if they went up and straight back down again.

1. Featherstone are on 100% more gates than London and that's playing in the Championship against Hunslet, Swinton, York and the like.

You make good points yet preface them with a bizarre statement which can be disproved in seconds.

It was Goldcoaster's point I was replying to, not the prospect of what would happen to Fev's funding if they went up and straight back down again.

It was one heck of a conspiracy theory. I'm sure the RFL would prefer hard cash - millions of it.

We're about 10% higher at the moment, 100% would take us to around the 4500 mark, which I'm certain we'll comfortably get if we get in.