Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

The game of Aunt Sally and other traditional sports and events!

26 posts in this topic

The traditional game of Aunt Sally is played in pubs around the Midlands, and it seems once at fairgrounds. We are a nation full of weird and unusual events/games: cheese rolling, well dressing etc. What goes on around your neck of the woods?

Although declined somewhat in St Helens and once attracting huge turnouts, Billinge still holds its annual Walking Day Parade. Wigan folk undertake an annual trek up Winter Hill on Good Friday. I went some years back, where there was a fair to be enjoyed for those who made it.

Is Aunt Sally the same as Cheese Skittles? That's a great game; I don't know anywhere in Yorkshire that has a table.

When i was a kid, plenty of pubs and clubs had a skittles alley or mat.

Is Aunt Sally the same as Cheese Skittles? That's a great game; I don't know anywhere in Yorkshire that has a table.

No, Aunt Sally is a game played outside, mainly in Oxfordshire and surrounding counties. See here.

No, Aunt Sally is a game played outside, mainly in Oxfordshire and surrounding counties. See here.

Researching the game, several internet sites did say it was now played in pubs! As it is something new to me, I can only say it as read.

Researching the game, several internet sites did say it was now played in pubs! As it is something new to me, I can only say it as read.

When I was working in Abingdon I was invited to join the local pub team in the village where i had my digs. All the pubs in the locality that played it that I saw had their Aunt Sallys set up outside. If the pub was big enough it could be played inside, but I've never seen it (based on an admittedly small sample of half a dozen or so pubs).

When I was working in Abingdon I was invited to join the local pub team in the village where i had my digs. All the pubs in the locality that played it that I saw had their Aunt Sallys set up outside. If the pub was big enough it could be played inside, but I've never seen it (based on an admittedly small sample of half a dozen or so pubs).

There are some amusing stories of how the game originated. Perhaps a forum member partakes in one of the leagues? 

Out of interest, Protestants, Catholics and Methodists all walk together on Billinge Walking Day. 

Table skittles. 9 pins on a table a "cheese" about4 inches in dia and an inch thick is thrown from about 5 feet away.

Lots of rural pubs around Coventry have them and there are still leagues playing.

Another game still played in the Coventry clubs is bagatelle .

The table s about the size of a pool table but has an oval at one end. There are two pockets and 9 numbered cups. You have to nominate where the target ball will end up after being struck by the cue ball. I have seen a variation where there are obstacles in the shape of upturned mushrooms.

My local club also has a form of bowls played on a snooker table with a jack and biased cue balls.

There are a few pubs around with 9 pin long alleys too.

The pubs in Barrow used to have dart boards with no trebles. I also remember the pubs in Nottingham had dartboards but the oche was only about 4 feet from the board.

Piggy was a traditional local game in these parts.

In Todmorden maggot racing is a regular midweek pastime.

Out of interest, Protestants, Catholics and Methodists all walk together on Billinge Walking Day. 

They do in parts of Wigan, though it didn't used to be that way, each used to have its own day.

IIRC Manchester area; Catholics walked on Whit Friday, C of E on Whit Sunday, Non conformist on Whit Monday. Piggy was also played in Swinton... As was rugby league at one time...and baseball, too.

IIRC Manchester area; Catholics walked on Whit Friday, C of E on Whit Sunday, Non conformist on Whit Monday. Piggy was also played in Swinton... As was rugby league at one time...and baseball, too.

That's because only protties had jobs, the left footers were all criminal scroungers and the nons were all retired money men :)

We regularly hold a works games evening ( booze up) with darts, doms, and pool. People from the uncivilised south are very perplexed by double nine doms

Piggy was a traditional local game in these parts.

In Todmorden maggot racing is a regular midweek pastime.

Only during the season.

Worm charming is also popular in Tod.

In the dementedly picturesque village of Hutton-le-Hole, there's a Merrills board up on the side of one of the buildings. It's a board game a bit like Nine Men's Morris.

P9048211.jpg

They do in parts of Wigan, though it didn't used to be that way, each used to have its own day.

My Auntie Lizzy, who lived in St Helens all her life, refused to speak to her daughter for 30 years because she married a Catholic. Only on her deathbed did she break her silence. Out of interest, do Wiganers still turnout in number to hike up Winter Hill in on Good Friday?

My Auntie Lizzy, who lived in St Helens all her life, refused to speak to her daughter for 30 years because she married a Catholic. Only on her deathbed did she break her silence. Out of interest, do Wiganers still turnout in number to hike up Winter Hill in on Good Friday?

Not as many as used to do, but some still do it. The procession was to the top of Rivington Pike which is on Brown Hill, WInter Hill is the one with the TV mast on and is about 1.5 miles further on to the moors.

We regularly hold a works games evening ( booze up) with darts, doms, and pool. People from the uncivilised south are very perplexed by double nine doms

Yorkshire folk are also nonplussed by double nines.We always played 5s and 3s with double six sets round wakefield.

In the 'ye olde trip to jerusalem' pub in nottingham they have a game whereby you have to throw a metal ring over a cows horn attached half way up a wall. Somewhat infuriating when you've had a few bevvys.

As an ex raf armourer we always played a card game called 'nom' loosely based on bridge and a board game called uckers, similarish to ludo, which was also played by naval types.

I live in Worcestershire.  Pub Skittles is still fairly big news.

No game is as odd as Rugby Union (Union pronounced silently if one works for Auntie).