Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Frightful

RL Challenge Cup Final, Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, 24/8/2013, KO 3pm

RL Cup Final Hull FC v Wigan Warriors   70 members have voted

1. 1. The dream...who will you be cheering for?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan Warriors
    • Not bothered as long as it's a good game.
  2. 2. The reality...who do you think will win?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan Warriors
    • The sport of RL as it'll be like1985 all over again.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

454 posts in this topic

But back to the match.

My hunch is that if Wigan win it will have been a comfortable victory, if Hull wins we'll probably have seen a close one.

Will Alan Partridge be doing commentary on this rematch, like he did for the 1985 classic?

What are the bookies saying for this? 8 point start to Hull I'd suggest?

Thought this match thread ought to be posted a bit earlier than usual with it being one of the two major showpiece occasions in English club rugby.  ;)

So who will you be cheering for but also,  who do think will win. I'll be interested in seeing which has the higher percentage as I reckon most will be rooting for Hull but when the harsh reality kicks in, most will probably reckon on it being a Pies victory.  :(

So which "most" will be higher?

Obviously I'll be shouting for the black and whites but, sadly, I think the bigger match experience and overall quality will see Wigoon home. I know the Pies haven't been at their best recently but that will all be forgotten if they perform as they can on Saturday.

My only hope is that Hull tackle their hearts out and frustrate Wigan and take whatever chances come their way to sneak a famous win

Oh, and that there is little mention of Phil Bentham after the 80mins is up.

In summing up, I hope everyone has a terrific time and we all come away from Wembley Stadium once again, reflecting on what a fantastic sport we are lucky enough to follow.

This says all i think about the game, I want Hull to win but I'm more bothered about the quality of the game. good luck both sides, have a great day.

Thursday, 22 August
Challenge Cup final preview, 21:00 to 21:30 on BBC Radio 5 live

Remember, if you don't make the effort to phone/email/etc., your crackpot conspiracy theories will remain forever unpublicised!

Can fans of the respective teams give their predicted starting lineups please?

I wonder who'll be the first journo to mention the 'ring of indifference' - maybe Dave Woods on commentary, or Chris Irvine?

Well I'll be sitting in the "ring of indifference" so at least 4 seats will be very involved....my dad's first ever trip to Wembley, its on his bucket list, so thought I'd oblige in style

I think Wane will go for:

S.Tomkins

Charnley Goulding Thornley Richards

Green Smith

Mossop McIllorum Crosby/Dudson

Farrell Hansen

O'Loughlin

Taylor Flower L.Tomkins Tuson

Thursday, 22 August

Challenge Cup final preview, 21:00 to 21:30 on BBC Radio 5 live

Remember, if you don't make the effort to phone/email/etc., your crackpot conspiracy theories will remain forever unpublicised!

Just so long as I get the word 'assclown' in before they cut me off ...

I wonder who'll be the first journo to mention the 'ring of indifference' - maybe Dave Woods on commentary, or Chris Irvine?

Can I have £25 on Irvine please?

I will be cheering for Hull as old rivalries are set aside and the Hull / Yorkshire loyalties kick in.

Will be nice to see the prima donnas at Wigan...players and fans...worried that their team are no longer the league champions or odds on favourites at Wembley even when playing a team likely to end up in 8th position.

It will be sad to see the record at Wembley broken but all good things must end sometime. If Hull win they will still have to live with the fact that they have never beaten Rovers at Wembley. If they lose then expect all Rovers fans to rehearse another chorus of Old Faithful for any play off clash.

Focus must now be on who actually plays for Hull, and whether some of the players are carrying injuries or are not match fit...Richard Horne... Wigan may just get lucky...

Come on ye Hull.

not that it makes them any more likely to win but they are odds on to win.

4/5 on the H/CAP

4/11 outright

I'll go with hull FC by 4, Danny Houghton to win the lance Todd trophy and josh charnley to score the first try(length of the field effort).

Im sitting in the ring of indifference this year, although that sounds far too much like a euphemism for my liking!

Just been informed im in the Hull end too which should be good, they make a fair bit of noise!

Well I'll be sitting in the "ring of indifference" so at least 4 seats will be very involved....my dad's first ever trip to Wembley, its on his bucket list, so thought I'd oblige in style

Add another two seats on to that!

What are the bookies saying for this? 8 point start to Hull I'd suggest?

You could have had a 12 point start or Hull at 3/1 off levels earlier in the week Dave.

As a Crusaders fan, and after Hulls fantastic attitude at our last Superleague match, I'll definately cheer them on. Come on Hull.

Well I think the forwards will start as follows with only Ogre previously having a knock and Tickle one of the mystery doubts in Hull since Friday but say very likely to play even jabbed up -

Watts, Houghton, O'Meley, Ellis, Tickle, Westerman

Subs likely to be - Lynch, Heremaia, Pitts (toss of a coin with Green perhaps), Whiting

I dont think even Peter Gentle will know the backs at the moment - Tom Lineham seems very very doubtful, Arundal who I thought looked to have the most hope Friday now could be worse than thought and Kirk Yeaman who looked the worst now most in the with a shout. Add to that Horne is now possibly fit and rumours (just that I suspect) that Ben Crooks may have made a sudden recovery. All said I suspect Horne will be dragged in with no match fitness as follows -

Shaul, Crookes (Jason), Horne, Yeaman, Briscoe, Holdsworth, Miller

Good on you. He'll love it. Good post that.

I supported Wigan in 85 on my first trip to Wembley, and I see no reason to change that stance this weekend.

Supporting Wigan (obviously) but even though I've been offered a ticket my wife is due to give birth in the next week so I'm not going this time. There are some things even more important to me than RL and family always wins.

That said I'll be glued to the telly box.

Well I think the forwards will start as follows with only Ogre previously having a knock and Tickle one of the mystery doubts in Hull since Friday but say very likely to play even jabbed up -

Watts, Houghton, O'Meley, Ellis, Tickle, Westerman

Subs likely to be - Lynch, Heremaia, Pitts (toss of a coin with Green perhaps), Whiting

I dont think even Peter Gentle will know the backs at the moment - Tom Lineham seems very very doubtful, Arundal who I thought looked to have the most hope Friday now could be worse than thought and Kirk Yeaman who looked the worst now most in the with a shout. Add to that Horne is now possibly fit and rumours (just that I suspect) that Ben Crooks may have made a sudden recovery. All said I suspect Horne will be dragged in with no match fitness as follows -

Shaul, Crookes (Jason), Horne, Yeaman, Briscoe, Holdsworth, Miller

Previous post can now be updated -

Joe Arundel @JoeArundel 17m

To all people asking I fractured my hand friday and will be getting an op today to fix it. Thanks for all the support! #Gutted

So depending on news today you would expect either Horne, Whiting or Crooks (if you can believe that) at centre

One of those games that you want both teams to lose! Hope its a great game and Wigan win.