Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I you think that is acting in the best interests of the youngsters and their development ??

I you think that is acting in the best interests of the youngsters and their development ??

With regular fixtures even in snow, wind and rain we feel out shine 24 - 0 results in the sun. who knows they may just implement a mid season break or play two short seasons within a 12 month period.

How would your changes work Gar and what is the secret to improving participation and standards during the summer?

With regular fixtures even in snow, wind and rain we feel out shine 24 - 0 results in the sun. who knows they may just implement a mid season break or play two short seasons within a 12 month period.

Only two union games possible in a ten week spell through winter period near me. That's an awful lot of 24-0's. Alot of teams play on council pitches. I've seen how quick they are to call games off at either end of the summer season I can't imagine how bad it would get during the winter .

Only two union games possible in a ten week spell through winter period near me. That's an awful lot of 24-0's. Alot of teams play on council pitches. I've seen how quick they are to call games off at either end of the summer season I can't imagine how bad it would get during the winter .

Which year and area ?

Postponed games do get rearranged and played so they don't go down as a 24 - 0, seems strange that after all those years of involvement you can't remember how well our grounds hold up, I've noticed it doesn't take much wind to dry a pitch out during the winter and the damp grounds do absorb the rain a little better than hard baked solid grounds where the rain tends to lay on the surface.

So Gar what if anything would you change in the present summer season to further enhance the game ?

Easy. I would requisition the Isle of Man as a POW Camp. I would round up all the pro winter coffin dodging old farts and send them to Camp Winter where they could all live in damp freezing conditions in perfect harmony.

my second ever posting a month ago

"Time to mirror the junior leagues and have a break in August"

With you attention to detail and grasp on what's going on around you I'm beginning to see why your league's having a few problems.....

I think what is often forgotten within Rugby League is we forget that we are part of a sporting landscape that is changing. Many team sports are on the decline and individual sports such as cycling have got their house in order and achieved performabce success leading to increased participation.

The move away from using Nov - Feb as playing months has come on the back of moves to make RL a sport in which the majority of people involved are clear about things like, which is the governing body? What is the playing season? What is the performance pathway for a player?

We, as a sport can't continue to ignore this external pressure placed on the sport from funding bodies.

As far as I know there isn't a major participation sport in the UK where professional and amateur participants have seasons that are polar to each other.

So do we move Super League back to winter or do we give the current situation time to bed in, use our collective knowledge to iron out the problems within the constraints of a season covering the summer months and move forward as one sport?

my second ever posting a month ago

"Time to mirror the junior leagues and have a break in August"

With you attention to detail and grasp on what's going on around you I'm beginning to see why your league's having a few problems.....

And yet again another regurgitated proposal Gar. I've said it before your inability to think for yourself shines through and you talk Gar-bage

Common sense dictates we should give the current set up further time to bed in . As I've said in previous postings I'm not in favour of any further extension periods which would be subject to further reviews. This creates false hope. I hope the RFL show strong leadership, make it clear that summer rugby is the future and is here to stay. That should be enough to focus people's minds on ironing out the problems we currently face rather than putting all their energies into a wholesale switch back to which is never going to happen.

I think what is often forgotten within Rugby League is we forget that we are part of a sporting landscape that is changing. Many team sports are on the decline and individual sports such as cycling have got their house in order and achieved performabce success leading to increased participation.

The move away from using Nov - Feb as playing months has come on the back of moves to make RL a sport in which the majority of people involved are clear about things like, which is the governing body? What is the playing season? What is the performance pathway for a player?

We, as a sport can't continue to ignore this external pressure placed on the sport from funding bodies.

As far as I know there isn't a major participation sport in the UK where professional and amateur participants have seasons that are polar to each other.

So do we move Super League back to winter or do we give the current situation time to bed in, use our collective knowledge to iron out the problems within the constraints of a season covering the summer months and move forward as one sport?

More importantly, what is completely forgotten is the reason why the professional game moved to summer. There were eighty million reasons why the game moved and they were all pound notes.

And yes if the next big bidder came along to buy the game for broadcasting and ordered it to be played September to May what would the "governing body's reaction be to that?

And yet again another regurgitated proposal Gar. I've said it before your inability to think for yourself shines through and you talk Gar-bage

Apologies I hadn't realised any proposal I came up with had to be uniquely original to me. At the end of the day the answers to the flaws in the system we currently out there. the powers that be just need to bring them all together, make the necessary changes and we move forward

I . What problems in your opinion are we having ?

2 . Who is advocating a switch back to winter ?

Not difficult questions to attempt Gar .

Apologies I hadn't realised any proposal I came up with had to be uniquely original to me. At the end of the day the answers to the flaws in the system we currently out there. the powers that be just need to bring them all together, make the necessary changes and we move forward

Mate the proposals aren't remotely original to you

Does it really matter pal? Surely the important thing is they exist, are in the public domain for people to dissect and hopefully some will be implemented and help to move the game forward.

More importantly, what is completely forgotten is the reason why the professional game moved to summer. There were eighty million reasons why the game moved and they were all pound notes.

And yes if the next big bidder came along to buy the game for broadcasting and ordered it to be played September to May what would the "governing body's reaction be to that?

Is it likely we'll have a situation like that again? Personally I think it's unlikely that much money will come along again.

Did the move to summer save or condemn Professional rugby league, it's not something we can say now so it becomes a part of our sport's history that has an influence on today's decisions that we have to work around for the good of the sport

The plan for the future probably looks OK but how much collateral damage can the amateur game take, what you don't seem to be able to see is the fact that players are not fully committed to summer like they did in the winter - have you been involved with a uncommitted group of players before, in fact I wonder how many NCL clubs can remember ever/last time they have been in this situation before, the downward spiral spins very quickly

Does it really matter pal? Surely the important thing is they exist, are in the public domain for people to dissect and hopefully some will be implemented and help to move the game forward.

Sometimes to move forward you have to take a step backwards.

Is it likely we'll have a situation like that again? Personally I think it's unlikely that much money will come along again.

Did the move to summer save or condemn Professional rugby league, it's not something we can say now so it becomes a part of our sport's history that has an influence on today's decisions that we have to work around for the good of the sport

Summer rugby was on the table long before the Murdoch money appeared.

Are you sure if my memory serves me right the move to summer and super league was a pre requisite of the Murdoch money .

As neither football or kick and clap would move seasons rugby league was the tool to sell sky dishes .

Sky dictates the RFL policies

Are you sure if my memory serves me right the move to summer and super league was a pre requisite of the Murdoch money .

As neither football or kick and clap would move seasons rugby league was the tool to sell sky dishes .

Sky dictates the RFL policies

And when you've got into the time machine and changed that decision how do you think the story of RL would have played out?

I don't think there'd be the national spread of participation there is today and the profile of the sport would be even more marginalised than it is today

You could be right it as helped the spread of the game .

But you see we the amateurs and I'm levelling that as Barla should have been the ones to increase the spread of the player base by investing in the areas outside of the heartlands . That's something Barla failed to do and are still guilty of today .

The main problem now IMO is that our flagship league is stale the people who I speak to and I speak to quite a few are also losing their passion for the sport .

I watch a lot of Aussie rugby and its a totally different product to ours and I enjoy each game I view , yesterday I was bored out my skull with the cup final and have stopped watching super league games as I find most games sub standard .

Our game needs to invest heavily into developing a strong coaching program where we go back into encouraging our kids to play what they see and not play how they are told .

Where as all the sky money been invested not into those areas that matter most .