Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnoco

Cockney Rhyming Slang

14 posts in this topic

I don't know if we have any resident cockneys but I have a query about a term. Watching Minder, old Arfur was trying to get involved in some hooky watches. They were referred to as 'Kettles'.

A bit of googling throws up several explanations. Kettle and fob (as in fob watch) or Kettle of Scotch(allegedly what Scotch was originally sold in)

Anyone know the definite answer?

Not definite, but in the decade I worked in East London kettles (as in watches) when I asked in the early years of my employment were described as 'kettle and fob'.

Anyone who wasn't born within the sound of Bow bells and uses cockney rythming slang is going against the wall come the revolution.

Anyone who wasn't born within the sound of Bow bells and uses cockney rythming slang is going against the wall come the revolution.

Agreed. it's completely Pete Tong.

I don't use it but think its pretty good. 

And doesn't everyone use the odd bit? Me old china? Dog and bone? Dodgy boat?

And doesn't everyone use the odd bit? Me old china? Dog and bone? Dodgy boat?

No they don't, stop telling porkies

I remember a funny piece in TGG magazine several years ago. It was basically a load of rhyming slang used to describe a RL game. 'A quick Albert'....Albert Hall. .play the ball etc

Pretty funny stuff.

Cor blimey me old cock sparrers, I've got a book on Cockney rhyming slang and it says Kettle is a London term and comes from the saying "A WATCH-ed KETTLE never boils".

It says if it was genuine Cockney rhyming slang,  Kettle and Hob would be FOB not watch. 

Having been a MIllwall fan since i was 8 i have quite a good insight into CRS and Millwall is deff the place to go.

2 years ago i took my eldest son to a match and we booked the VIP (excellent) and on the table next to us was mad frankie frazer:))) Now there is a man who knows CRS inside out (Mostly on the inside:)))))

CM

Thought he was an Arsenal fan?

Maybe so however he was at Millwall that day and as far as i know is from east or south london,nice day out though and most at the VIP wore a whistle:)))))

CM

Why did you respond surely you could have got your mate Maaaaaadddddd Frankie Frazer to "av a word"

Unless of course you ar full of it