Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wilderspoolmemories

Lancashire's Cup dominance?

41 posts in this topic

Since Hull won the cup in 2005 we have had 7 Lancs V Yorks cup finals.

2006 St. Helens V Huddersfield

2008 St. Helens V Hull

2009 Warrington V Huddersfield

2010 Warrington V Leeds

2011 Wigan V Leeds

2012 Warrington v Leeds

2013 Wigan V Hull

Score so far......Lancashire 7 Yorkshire 0. I wonder what the magic formula is that seems to be giving the teams from the west of the pennines the edge on the big day? Some quality opposition from Yorkshire,but each and every time they have fallen flat on their faces when it mattered,most notably Leeds,who usually then went on to win the Grand Final. Have they just been outplayed/outcoached on the day like Warrington V Leeds in 2010, outclassed( Saints V Hudds in 2006)or is there an underlying factor as to why they just can't win at Wembley?   

We don't like Wembley!

Our northern principles are sacrosanct, you red rosers can stick it up...

Now as for Old Trafford, it's great to steal a trophy from under your nose.

By and large i concider Yorkshire to be a far superior county to what's left of Lancashire, but they do have a point regarding the CCup, Not being a Cricket fan i don't know how that would stack up, Being even less of a Soccer fan though I seem to have been hearing all my life about great Football teams and without looking into it there seems to have been a large proportion of them from Lancashire, Not just the Man U, Liverpool era's either, Blackpool, Preston, Bolton, Blackburn Man City, all seem to have had great teams at some point,

There have been one or two good sides in Yorkshire, Sheffields, Leeds, even Town were once a great side i believe, but by and large Lancashire seems to me to have enjoyed a fair amount of domination in that sport and in view of the popularity of soccer over the hill, it just makes their accomplishments in League all the more impressive, I don't know what the actual count is for either the CC or the Championship, I will look it up when i can be bothered, I expect i shall discover we have been robbed :ph34r:

St Helens, Merseyside

Wigan, Greater Manchester

Warrington, Cheshire

St Helens, Merseyside

Warrington, Cheshire

A shadow of it's former self.

OT I'll just throw in the NRC cup winners Leigh - 4 traditionally known as Lancs clubs from 23 in the CH's

St Helens, Merseyside

Warrington, Cheshire

For those of us born before 1974 we still think red rose Lancashire.... and I hope they still do the Battle of Bosworth in Schools in those their area's.   

Mind you I live in Yorkshire now,  and for some reason failed in that my wife and daughters are avid Leeds fans - that comes of going to the nearest SL ground to watch the game. Although me son helps me keep them in check as we still support the old team from St Helens...

St Helens, Merseyside

Warrington, Cheshire

I was waiting for this one! We're all west of the border,so all Lancashire! You can stick your sub counties where the son doesn't shine!

Bent refs.

Certainly in 2009 ;)

I was waiting for this one too.........Warrington 25 Huddersfield 16.........'nuff said pal!

I was waiting for this one! We're all west of the border,so all Lancashire! You can stick your sub counties where the son doesn't shine!

What do you mean sub-counties? Coming from South Warrington that's been Cheshire since before 1974. Ship canal used to be the border from what I'm told by parents.

It worked, they're arguing amongst themselves now ;)

*applause*

*applause*

Ta gj but you can always like my post for a bit more appreciation from my good self.

What do you mean sub-counties? Coming from South Warrington that's been Cheshire since before 1974. Ship canal used to be the border from what I'm told by parents.

Warrington was in Lancashire in 1840, when the boundary was the Mersey (which makes sense geographically, if you think about it).

Warrington was in Lancashire in 1840, when the boundary was the Mersey (which makes sense geographically, if you think about it).

The Mersey is north of the ship canal so it still sounds like a lof if South Warrington is has been in Cheshire historically.

Yeh and Lancashire County Cricket Club, is based in?

They play the majority of their home county championship matches between Liverpool and Manchester

Both Liverpool and Manchester are Lancashire cities

Since Hull won the cup in 2005 we have had 7 Lancs V Yorks cup finals.

2006 St. Helens V Huddersfield

2008 St. Helens V Hull

2009 Warrington V Huddersfield

2010 Warrington V Leeds

2011 Wigan V Leeds

2012 Warrington v Leeds

2013 Wigan V Hull

Score so far......Lancashire 7 Yorkshire 0. I wonder what the magic formula is that seems to be giving the teams from the west of the pennines the edge on the big day? Some quality opposition from Yorkshire,but each and every time they have fallen flat on their faces when it mattered,most notably Leeds,who usually then went on to win the Grand Final. Have they just been outplayed/outcoached on the day like Warrington V Leeds in 2010, outclassed( Saints V Hudds in 2006)or is there an underlying factor as to why they just can't win at Wembley?

no underlying factor at all.Its just how things go.Leeds didn't win a championship till 1961 even though they had many great teams playing in the championship final.Also in 1961 they had won the more times than anyother.Up to 2004 they had won only 3 titles now they havve added 6.Its just how things turn out

I am hoping that the Challenge Cup will return to its modern day home in CHESHIRE next year.