Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vikingste

Mike Calvin- Unadulterated Rubbish

279 posts in this topic

It is quite amusing that a lot of the reaction that the game is full of chippy northerners is a good but of chippy outrage.

As has been commented by Martyn, it does smack a little of sub-optimal media management, I think a letter to the independent pointing out the popularity of the game in the South and the fact a team from High Wycombe won the school's final wouldn't go amiss.

Getting chippy and reactionary only confirms and entrenches people's negative stereotypes. With the media we're not big enough to take out ball and go home after poor media coverage, we have to lobby and win them round.

Not sure where anyone is being chippy? Unless you are counting the original article. Objecting to a poorly written and researched article is not chippy and it's pretty condescending to label anyone objecting to this article (moonie wedding? Really? ) as such.

But on his arrival it may have seemed like a Jolly Boys get together of a very different type (i.e. RL in-crowd). I worked in the media for a number of years and it is very easy to sense the mood of an occasion quickly. The first thing I would notice would be the club Wembley emptiness, Luke Campbell guest of honour etc. Lack of National newspaper journalists.

Yet he sensed the crowd was like extras from Phoenix Nights or like a moonie wedding? He sounds like a pretty ignorant person to me.

Letter-writing is for losers. RL doesn't need any lessons in either solvency or popularity from the Independent. A bit of dignity and self-respect would be a better starting point. 

1. not much it doesn't eh? rolling in the green stuff, our game.

2. Self respect? Our game is oozing in self respect, as is evident from all the highly positive posts on TRL about the Cup Final.

Yet he sensed the crowd was like extras from Phoenix Nights or like a moonie wedding? He sounds like a pretty ignorant person to me.

I agree with you totally on that Johnoco - he comes across as a tool. I am just putting some context to it. To an outsider coming in would it have felt like a national event that is on the sport protection list? We don't help ourselves sometimes.

1. not much it doesn't eh? rolling in the green stuff, our game.

2. Self respect? Our game is oozing in self respect, as is evident from all the highly positive posts on TRL about the Cup Final.

The Independent lost £16.6 million last year. Perhaps they should start employing better sports writers?

Anyone got a contact at the RFL then? Or perhaps LPL could get him to do a piece ?

Perhaps he should be invited to attend some amateur games in the South, and shown all the schools and juinior work going on outside the "ghetto" up North.

reply from Mike Calvin: "thanks Johnny. Valued Ian's insight during CCF hoo-ha. He has very sound grasp of RL's challenges/opportunities"

The Independent lost £16.6 million last year. Perhaps they should start employing better sports writers?

At least they have £16.6 million to lose.  Rugby League would kill for such small losses.  

The fact remains that he is an award winning sports writer and  we should listen and learn, not bury our heads in the sand.

At least they have £16.6 million to lose.  Rugby League would kill for such small losses.  

The fact remains that he is an award winning sports writer and  we should listen and learn, not bury our heads in the sand.

On the contrary, he has things to learn from our sport, particularly about authenticity and professionalism. And how to spell Tomkins.

Unfortunately it's an unequal relationship.  The national newspapers don't really need rugby league.  Even if one paper decided to make itself the best national newspaper reporter of rugby league in an effort to get more subscribers it would struggle to break even on the matchday expenses of its reporters with the new readers it would get.  The newspapers understand that too many people are likely to simply say "I'll read the specific content I want for free online because I don't like the politics/morals/ethics/tax status of that particular newspaper".  A lifelong Telegraph reader is unlikely to change to the Guardian simply because it has a few stories a week about rugby league, regardless of how good.

It's the opposite relationship that you get with football and union where readers expect stories about those sports in the paper and would actively go elsewhere if they didn't get them.  Until you have all newspapers reporting rugby league to a competent level then you don't get into the "I'm not buying it because they don't cover my sport" territory.  If you used that argument now for rugby league then you'd be doing nothing bar buying some local papers for your general news.

I do only buy the local paper but it is not really because of RL.

Why is it that I always feel the RFL are amateurish in the way they approach almost everything?  Is it just my warped mind or is this the reality?

Don't worry, it's not your warped mind.

Apart from the all too brief Lewis period, I think it's more or less the same old story.

On the contrary, he has things to learn from our sport, particularly about authenticity and professionalism. And how to spell Tomkins.

well teach him, dear Liza, teach him. 

Unfortunately it's an unequal relationship.  The national newspapers don't really need rugby league.  Even if one paper decided to make itself the best national newspaper reporter of rugby league in an effort to get more subscribers it would struggle to break even on the matchday expenses of its reporters with the new readers it would get.  The newspapers understand that too many people are likely to simply say "I'll read the specific content I want for free online because I don't like the politics/morals/ethics/tax status of that particular newspaper".  A lifelong Telegraph reader is unlikely to change to the Guardian simply because it has a few stories a week about rugby league, regardless of how good.

It's the opposite relationship that you get with football and union where readers expect stories about those sports in the paper and would actively go elsewhere if they didn't get them.  Until you have all newspapers reporting rugby league to a competent level then you don't get into the "I'm not buying it because they don't cover my sport" territory.  If you used that argument now for rugby league then you'd be doing nothing bar buying some local papers for your general news.

How dare you come on here spouting such sense. Don't you know it's our job to shoot the messenger?

well teach him, dear Liza, teach him. 

Charlatans should be exposed, not cuddled.

So an RFL ambassador engages with him, what then?

He writes an article about how the RFL are so desperate to overturn prejudice that they spend their time talking to scribblers like him on what should be their biggest day of the year.

He's lazy - everyone is - so he'd probably write about whatever the well briefed, charming, personable (and very possibly attractive and female) PR type suggested he write about.

Andy Wilson, in the online BTL comments to his Observer piece where he comments as "roughyed", notes that the RFL seem "overstretched".

How dare you come on here spouting such sense. Don't you know it's our job to shoot the messenger?

Hang on a minute. This guy was delivering no message, he was simply taking the pee. I am not sure why you seem to be putting RL fans on trial here, when it is this ignorant buffoon who is in the wrong (nb I don't care how many backslapping journalists awards he has)

That's a neat analysis of the relationship between RL and the national press.

Now, what should RL do within that relationship to get better press?    Hint - "nothing"  isn't the right answer.

I'd suggest that leaving an award winning sports feature writer for one of the national papers to mooch about by himself in a huff probably isn't the right approach.

This guy was delivering no message, he was simply taking the pee.

Was he given a message to deliver by anybody at the RFL?  Seems not, so he just sat down and wrote a jolly little column about nothing.

Was he given a message to deliver by anybody at the RFL? Seems not, so he just sat down and wrote a jolly little column about nothing.

I have no idea but his message, such as it is, seems to be that RL is followed by a bunch of inbred retards.

oh no!  he's been reading the forum!! :biggrin:

I have no idea but his message, such as it is, seems to be that RL is followed by a bunch of inbred retards.

... and isn't a worthy sport because it's not attached to the corporate teat.

Not sure where anyone is being chippy?

Apart from all the venomous angry attacks upon him saying "we'll if he's not going to be nice we shouldn't try to persuade him, we should treat him as a pariah" you mean?

The game needs to become more media/corporate friendly if it's going to attract more exposure and money.

I've got into work today at an insurance company on the south. Challenge Cup final was mentioned, general comment was it wasn't that good. That isn't as bad as it sounds, people recognised it wasn't the best example of Rugby League as they know the game can be really good. People do watch it here when it's on TV, this is an office very much into football, union and cricket and the Challenge cup has had similar level of discussion as the end of the test match (maybe because I've brought it up....)

That's a neat analysis of the relationship between RL and the national press.

Now, what should RL do within that relationship to get better press?    Hint - "nothing"  isn't the right answer.

I'd suggest that leaving an award winning sports feature writer for one of the national papers to mooch about by himself in a huff probably isn't the right approach.

You're right.  Martyn's answer is probably the closest to what should happen if we get match day accreditation requests from journos who aren't known rugby league people.

Venomous? Hardly.

He doesn't have to like RL, he's perfectly entitled to think it is terrible. That's up to him.

Its the terrible lack of knowledge about exactly where RL is today and the insults that I object to. Unless of course that is being chippy.