Summer/Winter debate

ckn

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight back on thread, sort of

My concern has always been for the game, the Winter/Summer debate has a lot of off shoots that need to be tied back in and the operational rules are included in the whole debate.

Whilst myself, NWML, and NWC work around issue of bringing the game back together in the north west we are mindful that at the same time we need to align our rules so we first do not conflict and second move forward for a more sustainable competition regardless of when the rugby is played, this will probably marry with the operational rules?

I have conceded on many occasion that the rules are a template and it is only a couple of items that need to be amended but that is the decision of the clubs and leagues to agree. The majority of the rules are fine, I sit on the regulatory group and we do know some will have to change.

We all know mistakes have happened, regardless where blame lies! so what we need to do is stop this whole Winter/Summer debate and agree how best we get as many people playing the best sport in the world, the only way you do that is by putting your political differences aside and work together to move the game forward.

I am also always mindful that clubs vote with their feet so our ultimate challenge is to ensure there is a generic competition regardless of what time of year they want to play you can only do this under one set of rules. You won't find me telling any club they have to play here and there I'm always where and when and I think that's the kind of attitude we need from everyone.

Time is now right to stop pointing fingers and start to fix, we in the north west have started is everyone else going to do it?

Stuart

Positive news in the the North West all five leagues met today to see how we can take the region forward ,working together to fully embrace the four seasons concept .

Plenty of food for thought but the main thing is we are all going to work more as a unit to promote the game in the north west .

I think this is a great start.  Everybody round the same table will help with all matters, its good that the five league are getting together as one

• 2 weeks later...

Evidence of a summer rugby crisis at NCL clubs? 5 NCL sides have failed to fulfil their 2nd team fixtures in YML premier in late Aug/Sept Hunslet, Milford, Stanningly, Oulton x2 and York Acorn (who were in in a potential play off place) Hull clubs (the top 2 sides) been the victims of most called off games. Summer rugby - going to plan?

Evidence of a summer rugby crisis at NCL clubs? 5 NCL sides have failed to fulfil their 2nd team fixtures in YML premier in late Aug/Sept Hunslet, Milford, Stanningly, Oulton x2 and York Acorn (who were in in a potential play off place) Hull clubs (the top 2 sides) been the victims of most called off games. Summer rugby - going to plan?

York Acorn `A` where a cracking side 3 years ago

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

No crisis at the Milford club One game missed does not make a crisis our Reserves  missed more games when we played in the winter season by the way the game we missed was last weekend and if we was still playing in the winter league it would have been our 1st game of the season  we would still have had to call it off due to players been on a holiday. 

Late August/ beginning of September is start of winter season is it not?

Er, wouldn't those clubs be playing 'winter rugby' at this stage anyway? Just saying.

Yes but they are the result of a summer season that many have voted with their feet and stopped playing that's the point you and many others are failing to grasp.

Open age rugby is in decline and unless we find a sensible solution we may never get it back, and yes winter rugby also has its problems .

Open Age Amatuer Rugby League is definately on the decline without a shadow of a doubt! The move to summer in my opinion has greatly accelerated this decline.

The big question is - What are WE going to do to prevent further decline and wherever possible reverse this decline?

When i say WE i mean everyone involved in our sport!!!  From the very top at the RFL, The NCL, BARLA etc, etc, all the silly and pointless petty politics will NOT sort out this problem and thats a FACT!

Its time NOW for some serious across the board discussions involving all interested parties fail to do this and we are doomed.

Those at the RFL need to realise that not all kids can go on and play the pro game and that these players need to have an avenue to be directed down, they also need to realise that not all kids are ready to sign pro at 16 either! (and below in some case).

we also need to be selling to the players the benefits of playing amatuer open age rugby league - fitness, social activities, friendships, travel, representative honours etc,etc,etc and perhaps also throwing in a decent insurance policy rather than the "third party fire & theft" policy thats currently in place that does not cover injuries that may mean that they are off work for 2-6 weeks or so. 

Their is so much more that WE could ALL do if WE were united rather than the fragmented mess that seems to be at the moment.

And before anyone asks - yes i have passed on my thoughts to our NCL representative with the hope that he does raise my concerns at the next meeting!

Open Age Amatuer Rugby League is definately on the decline without a shadow of a doubt! The move to summer in my opinion has greatly accelerated this decline.

The big question is - What are WE going to do to prevent further decline and wherever possible reverse this decline?

When i say WE i mean everyone involved in our sport!!!  From the very top at the RFL, The NCL, BARLA etc, etc, all the silly and pointless petty politics will NOT sort out this problem and thats a FACT!

Its time NOW for some serious across the board discussions involving all interested parties fail to do this and we are doomed.

Those at the RFL need to realise that not all kids can go on and play the pro game and that these players need to have an avenue to be directed down, they also need to realise that not all kids are ready to sign pro at 16 either! (and below in some case).

we also need to be selling to the players the benefits of playing amatuer open age rugby league - fitness, social activities, friendships, travel, representative honours etc,etc,etc and perhaps also throwing in a decent insurance policy rather than the "third party fire & theft" policy thats currently in place that does not cover injuries that may mean that they are off work for 2-6 weeks or so. 

Their is so much more that WE could ALL do if WE were united rather than the fragmented mess that seems to be at the moment.

And before anyone asks - yes i have passed on my thoughts to our NCL representative with the hope that he does raise my concerns at the next meeting!

What they need to realise as well if you take 3 or 4 good kids away from their unfashionable team and send them to the chosen elite team the unfashionable team tends to fold loosing maybe 10 players from the game per folded team.

The withdrawal of development officers was a real gem of a decision by the leaders of the game and surely pointed out that they haven't a clue

Yes but they are the result of a summer season that many have voted with their feet and stopped playing that's the point you and many others are failing to grasp.

Open age rugby is in decline and unless we find a sensible solution we may never get it back, and yes winter rugby also has its problems .

I'm ambivalent on the whole issue; I'm just tired of people on both sides being selective in their choice of 'evidence'

I'm ambivalent on the whole issue; I'm just tired of people on both sides being selective in their choice of 'evidence'

There wasn't a problem until one side decided to start using buying/stealing/inventing/deception tactics.

There wasn't a problem until one side decided to start using buying/stealing/inventing/deception tactics.

You're all as bad as each other, Jim, and I think some committee types in rugby league (and all sports, I'm sure) thrive on these silly little power games.

It's tedious, juvenile and does the game no favours.

You're all as bad as each other, Jim, and I think some committee types in rugby league (and all sports, I'm sure) thrive on these silly little power games.

It's tedious, juvenile and does the game no favours.

So when did this problem start in the amateur game.

So when did this problem start in the amateur game.

RL needs to get over the amateur bit first. Union did it in 1995. The trouble the game causes itself by maintaining the distinction is a major problem in itself in my opinion.

Once we get that monkey off our back we may be able to move forward as a sport.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

RL needs to get over the amateur bit first. Union did it in 1995. The trouble the game causes itself by maintaining the distinction is a major problem in itself in my opinion.

Once we get that monkey off our back we may be able to move forward as a sport.

Amen to that, why do we need artificial distinctions and divisions?

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Think its because most of us want a level playing field .

Whereas others just want people to be able to get on with playing rugby league regardless of whether or not their team reimburses them. If a team can afford to do this because they are well run then they deserve the success it might bring.

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Whereas others just want people to be able to get on with playing rugby league regardless of whether or not their team reimburses them. If a team can afford to do this because they are well run then they deserve the success it might bring.

The facts are there to be seen, over the last two years there has been a large reduction in the number of players at open-age, junior and youth levels playing the game, is this a coincidence ?

The facts are there to be seen, over the last two years there has been a large reduction in the number of players at open-age, junior and youth levels playing the game, is this a coincidence ?

Whilst this is sad, I don't see the connection

Not being awkward, but coincidence with what. Paying players?

It's a summer/winter debate not a pay or not to pay debate and the coincidence with the reduction in people playing the sport and the switch from winter to summer.

I think the level playing field quote wasn't really aimed at allowing payments to players either.

Archived