Summer/Winter debate

ckn

The full fixture list should be issued and then clubs should be allowed to select two fixtures that can be postponed. One week can be left open at the end of the season for these postponements with the rest played midweek. There is no point having gap weeks because it still wouldn't suit all teams.

The full fixture list should be issued and then clubs should be allowed to select two fixtures that can be postponed. One week can be left open at the end of the season for these postponements with the rest played midweek. There is no point having gap weeks because it still wouldn't suit all teams.

Example, wath brow want st pats home postponed 1st sat July,

Lock lane want st pats away postponed 2nd sat July,

Thatto Heath want st pats home postponed 3rd sat July,

Siddal want st pats away postponed 4th sat July,

St pats themselves want 1st sat in aug postponed,

Skirlaugh want st pats away postponed 2nd sat in aug

St pats could have no fixtures for 6 weeks with no team requesting anything out the ordinary, ie requesting 1 fixture each to be postponed. Could easily happen and that's just 1 club affected. Just shows that the solutions aren't as straight forward as it may seem.

Imagine teams requesting 2 fixtures off, teams could go numerous weeks without fixtures, then having to cram midweek fixtures in when this is something teams are also trying to avoid.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a perfect example of worst case scenario which assumes only one postponement in any one week and all to the same team, there is more chance of winning the lottery ;) . It is more likely that there will be more than one team requesting an open date so that teams who have no game because of their opponents request can then play each other. Not perfect but better than no assistance to clubs which is the current system.

I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

That's a perfect example of worst case scenario which assumes only one postponement in any one week and all to the same team, there is more chance of winning the lottery ;) . It is more likely that there will be more than one team requesting an open date so that teams who have no game because of their opponents request can then play each other. Not perfect but better than no assistance to clubs which is the current system.

I've seen the same thing happen so many times in the Yorkshire league and that was probably the main reason for it's demise and clubs jumping ship to the Pennine including us, it's OK trying to be user friendly but it will not work and will create other problems, one of the main attraction to go into the NCL was it's ability to provide and maintain a regular fixture list, once this doesn't happen you'll get players drifting away.

Since joining the Pennine we've gone from scraping together a side to turning out two every weekend and that's with struggling to put the same first team out every week due to work commitments, last week was a good example for us, went to Queens with seven 2nd teamers in the side (If the game had been played the week before we would have had a full 1st team) got beat 44 - 4 but our 2nd team went away and won 24 - 16., this week our 2nds never had a fixture so the committee have arranged a friendly for them.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

The Midlands league this summer benefited from having fixed dates, week-in, week-out with no cups and just one Bank Holiday off.

Everyone knew where they stood. There were a couple of 'A' team defaults, but they happen in the Pennine League in the winter too.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The Midlands league this summer benefited from having fixed dates, week-in, week-out with no cups and just one Bank Holiday off.

Everyone knew where they stood. There were a couple of 'A' team defaults, but they happen in the Pennine League in the winter too.

And been playing summer since 1996....

I've seen the same thing happen so many times in the Yorkshire league and that was probably the main reason for it's demise and clubs jumping ship to the Pennine including us, it's OK trying to be user friendly but it will not work and will create other problems, one of the main attraction to go into the NCL was it's ability to provide and maintain a regular fixture list, once this doesn't happen you'll get players drifting away.

Since joining the Pennine we've gone from scraping together a side to turning out two every weekend and that's with struggling to put the same first team out every week due to work commitments, last week was a good example for us, went to Queens with seven 2nd teamers in the side (If the game had been played the week before we would have had a full 1st team) got beat 44 - 4 but our 2nd team went away and won 24 - 16., this week our 2nds never had a fixture so the committee have arranged a friendly for them.

And there am I thinking it is only NCL clubs that have to fill there 1st team with 2nd team players because of the switch to summer. Seems that is not the case anymore looks like the same is happening in winter. ie different team every week your words not mine. Oh you must stop contradicting yourself Mr Marauder.

One major difference,most winter based 2nd teams fulfill there fixtures.unlike in summer where the opposite is happening.

lets hope someone doesn't start going through the results for the winter rugby and picking out unfulfilled fixtures ,  

One major difference,most winter based 2nd teams fulfill there fixtures.unlike in summer where the opposite is happening.

A lot of a teams completed in summer and winter but having just looked at walk overs in the last 2 weeks in the pennine league 6 games were walk overs and out of them 4 were from a teams

I haven't checked the summer to see how many a teams did no complete fixtures.

Its a problem with all amateur rugby

Both seasons have problems that's the state of the game , but the spin was move to summer less cancelled games etc etc etc now that didn't materialise .

The problem is the romantics won't or don't want to admit it .

The game is fecked until we get some strong leadership .

Both seasons have problems that's the state of the game , but the spin was move to summer less cancelled games etc etc etc now that didn't materialise .

The problem is the romantics won't or don't want to admit it .

The game is fecked until we get some strong leadership .

I always took it as less cancellations due to the weather,

Take the Yorkshire men's league as an example.they do not show a cancelled game as a walkover,so to anybody not involved do not realise the game never went ahead.this season our club went 5 weeks with no game ,due to the opposition not being able to field a team.this has never happened to us in the winter season,yes the odd game did get cancelled and still does.

Pro rata more games still get played in the winter season,compared with summer.too many folk just look at the ncl and not at how many games are being cancelled to allow these games to go ahead

And there am I thinking it is only NCL clubs that have to fill there 1st team with 2nd team players because of the switch to summer. Seems that is not the case anymore looks like the same is happening in winter. ie different team every week your words not mine. Oh you must stop contradicting yourself Mr Marauder.

But we don't have to fulfil the same criteria as a NCL club and our 2nd team play on the same day and at the same time as our 1st team and we are just a small pub team from a small ex- mining village.

Now if we are able to manage it in the winter why have NCL clubs with all their glory and criteria started to fail to not only fulfil 1st team fixtures but 2nd team and Under 18 fixtures since the switch to summer. Did you know that Queensbury are also putting 3 open age teams out in the winter ?

A lot of a teams completed in summer and winter but having just looked at walk overs in the last 2 weeks in the pennine league 6 games were walk overs and out of them 4 were from a teams

I haven't checked the summer to see how many a teams did no complete fixtures.

Its a problem with all amateur rugby

Most WINTER teams are pub based who don't have to fulfil such a stringent criteria and acknowledge that participation is a hobby.

Quote from the horses mouth from less than 2years ago Feb 2012 just in case anyone forgets what the move to summer would bring to our great game!

"Chief Executive Nigel Wood believes Rugby League stands on the verge of the most exciting chapter in its history as the sport prepares to embrace all the benefits of summer rugby with a new integrated structure.

This is a momentous occasion for Rugby League with the whole sport finally fitting together under one pyramid structure which has positive implications for the future,” said Wood.

“This means that youngsters will play their entire careers in better conditions which are more suitable for modern Rugby League with all the benefits this brings for skill development and, more importantly, for enjoyment of the game.

“The changes will result in an increase in the number of people playing Rugby League, which is an objective everyone in the sport is working towards.

“More participants means we will produce more high quality players, thus benefitting the national team in the long term.

“There will be more opportunities for more people to play Rugby League across the country in a structure which allows all clubs and players the chance to progress to be the best they possibly can be.”

How lucky are we that the future of our game is in such good hands!!

lets hope someone doesn't start going through the results for the winter rugby and picking out unfulfilled fixtures ,  

If you check on the Pennine website they OPENLY display the teams who fail to fulfil a fixture, no hiding the truth, no make believe teams, no make believe results, no ###### and probably no sunshine.

• 2 months later...

I take my hat off to people like you who struggle to keep the RL flag flying in areas like yours and I do apologise for appearing negative

I may say looking at the Midlands RL website that for all the years the league has been going it is very slow progress, not many teams and I do not see how a season running from May to August is progress, with some teams only playing 2-4 fixtures, in my view are the union lads just using it as a way of keeping fit

That is unless the website is not up to date

Yes Premier consists of 10 teams, home and a way you would have thought 18 games but they play only 12 is that all the games that can be fitted in during the Rugby union off season.

Looking at the Sports Participation on one of the other threads the Midlands area of RU has seen a big decline, have they come to RL?

I would also say success would mean running the midlands league from March to October alongside the NCL with a chance of promotion to this competition

I'm in the north east, we have 22 clubs. I'm not sure how the long the NERL has been going however I am told in recent weeks:-

"At the North East Rugby League AGM in November it was unanimously passed that North East Rugby League would become an RFL Member League. As part of this the current structures would dissolve and a new North East Management Group would be formed, consisting of a Chairperson and 3 club representatives, as well as 2 members from the RFL."

I am pretty sure that the majority of clubs in our region are made up from mainly Union lads who wish to continue playing through summer. Our own club, Darlington, is a dual code club but our League side is made up mainly our union lads. However all of us including the union lads do take it seriously and don't just treat it as "something to do in summer". In our first season last year we won the league leaders shield so that is encouraging for us going into this year. A big advantage we have is that we have the full backing of the union club and we are not a league side renting facilities from a union club, we are a dual code club.

My apologies I thought Derby

And I understand where the RU club are coming from as this will create revenue all year round. I would still say progress would be a league running alongside the NCL From March to October i would suspect the few players who like RL and are good at it may be tempted to go to Peterlee to progress their standard of play

Archived