Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

The price of a cyclist's life: 240 hours unpaid work

142 posts in this topic

I really don't think there is that much of an issue with bad cyclists, the majority are fine.

Not my experience.

Again, for me, this is about protecting cyclists from their own foolishness.

Indeed.  It should include some supervised motorway driving.

We agree on something!

Not my experience.

Again, for me, this is about protecting cyclists from their own foolishness.

Was the chap in the OP foolish? Ginger Jon mentioned the stats from the study done regarding collisions invoking cyclists and vehicles. Car drivers were at fault for most of the collisions, doesn't that suggest its car drivers that need the training as not the cyclists?

Was the chap in the OP foolish? Ginger Jon mentioned the stats from the study done regarding collisions invoking cyclists and vehicles. Car drivers were at fault for most of the collisions, doesn't that suggest its car drivers that need the training as not the cyclists?

1. No - but it makes no sense to extrapolate from a minority incident.

2. Those statistics seem highly unlikely to me.

It's a different report from the TfL one I was quoting but I've found this from a DfT study done in 2009:

With adult cyclists, police found the driver solely responsible in about 60%-75% of all cases, and riders solely at fault 17%-25% of the time

and

The study, carried out for the Department for Transport, found that in 2% of cases where cyclists were seriously injured in collisions with other road users police said that the rider disobeying a stop sign or traffic light was a likely contributing factor. Wearing dark clothing at night was seen as a potential cause in about 2.5% of cases, and failure to use lights was mentioned 2% of the time.

The figures were slightly higher when the cyclist was killed, but in such cases only the driver's account is available.

Report in the Guardian

1. No - but it makes no sense to extrapolate from a minority incident.

2. Those statistics seem highly unlikely to me.

Why unlikely, it seems to support my experience both as a cyclist and a car driver.

That's the one. I appreciate cycle tracks are questionable, but I always used them when I could and never came to a mishap. That aside, I have been hit three times by people cycling on the pavement. And don't get me going on drivers of vehicles!

I used to use that track but after a collision with a car and a pedestrian in it I don't use it. Also have you noticed that this bike track is used as a car park for various maintainence vehicles

Why unlikely, it seems to support my experience both as a cyclist and a car driver.

Your experience is clearly not my experience.

Your experience is clearly not my experience.

My experience is backed up by empirical evidence. Yours on the other had directly contradicts this evidence.

My experience is backed up by empirical evidence. Yours on the other had directly contradicts this evidence.

Mine is backed up with empirical evidence of my own*.  Yours, on the other hand, directly contradicts this evidence.

*ie. I use my own eyes.

Mine is backed up with empirical evidence of my own*.  Yours, on the other hand, directly contradicts this evidence.

*ie. I use my own eyes.

Naughty Sev for going with data not anecdotes.

To be honest, its motorists who need educating. As a body, they disdain the rule of law. Over 1, 000, 000 speeding tickets a year....and that's just the few that get caught. Add the millions of parking violations and you get a picture of mass civil disobedience.

I've just passed my Advanced Motorxycling test and as part of this you are required to ride at the legal speed limits. In doing so, the aggravation, intimidation and bullying from law breaking motorists has to be seen to believed.

Reverse the number of motorists with cyclists and you will still get the same behaviour. It's not a motorists or cyclist things - its a human thing

To be honest, its motorists who need educating. As a body, they disdain the rule of law. Over 1, 000, 000 speeding tickets a year....and that's just the few that get caught. Add the millions of parking violations and you get a picture of mass civil disobedience.

I've just passed my Advanced Motorxycling test and as part of this you are required to ride at the legal speed limits. In doing so, the aggravation, intimidation and bullying from law breaking motorists has to be seen to believed.

John, I would say it's both. Time after time, I have seen cyclists go through lights on red as well as cycling whilst using a mobile phone. As for motorists, many do behave irresponsibly. As for driving on the motorway, I am shocked at the number of motorists who pass me when going more than the speed limit, especially when it's down to say 50mph due to road works

Naughty Sev for going with data not anecdotes.

Pardon me for trying to save cyclists' lives.

I do apologise. :sleep: