Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil Loxton

3890 Fantastic crowd

28 posts in this topic

Batley surprisingly low in the list, for me.  I think the Yorkshire clubs' attendances are slightly bolstered by the short journeys for away fans.

Yes, Sheffield should have a much bigger following now.  We're not a new club any more, none of our players can remember there not being a Sheffield Eagles.

Batley surprisingly low in the list, for me.  I think the Yorkshire clubs' attendances are slightly bolstered by the short journeys for away fans.

Yes, Sheffield should have a much bigger following now.  We're not a new club any more, none of our players can remember there not being a Sheffield Eagles.

To be fair Griff, Sheffield are in a similar boat to Fev, and also Keighley & Batley if you think about it.

The latter 3 clubs I mentioned saw many of their supporters turn their back on the game after the debacle of 1995 when they were excluded from the top flight. The Eagles. on the other hand must have lost many fans with the Shuddersfield fiasco, who will probably never return due to mist-trust of The RFL, no matter how well their team is performing. Featherstone still have to persuade some erstwhile fans to come back to them, but I fear in Sheffield's case it would be a far bigger task.

I would have loved to see how far Keighley could have gone regarding crowd sizes back in '95? Lawkholme Lane was buzzing at the time, but when we went there last week it was a poor, delapidated place in need of a facelift. How much of this can be attributed to mistrust of the game's management?

To be fair Griff, Sheffield are in a similar boat to Fev, and also Keighley & Batley if you think about it.

The latter 3 clubs I mentioned saw many of their supporters turn their back on the game after the debacle of 1995 when they were excluded from the top flight. The Eagles. on the other hand must have lost many fans with the Shuddersfield fiasco, who will probably never return due to mist-trust of The RFL, no matter how well their team is performing. Featherstone still have to persuade some erstwhile fans to come back to them, but I fear in Sheffield's case it would be a far bigger task.

Maybe - but it's far too easy to generalise.  Certainly, people these days are much more mobile and if they want to watch top flight rugby, they can do.  Plenty of choice within an hour's drive of Sheffield  I suspect that clubs outside the top division in pretty much every sport except soccer will find it increasingly tough over the next thirty or forty years, to the point that there won't be any professional sport at that level.  The game will always be there so long as it can be paid for - and that might be by sponsors, spectators or - at amateur level - the players themselves.