Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Futtocks

South Africa bid to host 2017 Rugby World Cup

15 posts in this topic

LINK

Seems a bit ambitious, even without the busybodies trying to hold Rugby League back in SA.

It was a very ambitious presentation.  I did not take it too seriously before the talk, but I was wrong.  They are very serious and I am behind the bid.

The team behind the bid feature many of the people behind the soccer bid and the rugby union.

Sooner or later the RLIF will take a WC outside of the British Isles, France and Australasia. Is 2017 that time or is it too soon?

It's hard to comment without knowing the inner details of the bid. Is there anyone on here who could shed more light?

Initially I do think the World Cup in this modern era is still too vulnerable to expand so drastically to South Africa, I say 2017 in NZ/Aus then 2021 in South Africa.

All comes down to money

World Cup should be enlarged to 16 teams.

Groups should be decided by world ranking.

Group A 01 08 09 16

Group B 02 07 10 15

Group C 03 06 11 14

Group D 04 05 12 13

It would be great to see it there. RL needs South Africa as at moment only really Great Britain and Australia are capable of holding full world cup . Lets make decision early and then plan and help South Africa as much as we can . Would love to see four nation held there with Australia New Zealand and Great Britain team .     

World Cup should be enlarged to 16 teams.

Groups should be decided by world ranking.

Group A 01 08 09 16

Group B 02 07 10 15

Group C 03 06 11 14

Group D 04 05 12 13

No, that would be a silly format.

It would be great to see it there. RL needs South Africa as at moment only really Great Britain and Australia are capable of holding full world cup . Lets make decision early and then plan and help South Africa as much as we can . Would love to see four nation held there with Australia New Zealand and Great Britain team .     

South Africa has hosted a rugby union, cricket and soccer world cup recently.  They seem to have access to the same stadia, many of the same people and the same low cost base.

South Africa has hosted a rugby union, cricket and soccer world cup recently.  They seem to have access to the same stadia, many of the same people and the same low cost base.

The key difference being all those sports are recognised as sports by their government. RL isn't.

Why silly?

Because, like in 2000, having teams ranked outside the top 10 playing the top nations is a waste of time.