Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weloveyouwakefield2

Salford's surprise signing is..

94 posts in this topic

no hock............staying at widnes.

just have to wait n see, but I've been told the deals that I've mentioned are done, are done, and the others are about to!

All the others , apart from Hansen , who was in the end promised a testimonial, and Dobson, who KR rejected deal, have come through.

Still fingers crossed for Hohaia to sign for Salford

I think the biggest problem for Salford next year, will not be the salary cap, but the rules on club trained or federation trained players. Does Nobby knows the rules have changed since his days at the Bulls?

I think he might have looked into it.....

We'll have to wait until next Thursday to see who is actually going to sign & who is just a rumour, but there have been a lot of players mentioned and almost all of them have been foreign.

This year SL clubs had to have at least 8 club trained players & no more than 5 non federation trained players, in their 25 man squad. Maybe Nobby will get under the rules by some of the old hands he will sign being classed as federation trained as they have been here before the rules came in.

At least one of the 'nailed on' signings being announced is a club trained player.

We may even end up going down, to come back stronger.

Sounds a good strategy, should all SL clubs aim for relegation then?

Hope the RFL are going to be scrutinising Salfords books. No way can they keep all these signings under the cap.

Come off it, they haven't signed one single marquee player.

They are signing a lot of good cast-offs that have made their name for off-field antics.

This makes the Chase signing even more unlikely in my opinion

It would seem like it. Maybe Salford got sick of Chase's agent playing off of one club against another.

It would seem like it. Maybe Salford got sick of Chase's agent playing off of one club against another.

You're at straws here. Wait til Thursday......

Sounds a good strategy, should all SL clubs aim for relegation then?

I didn't say they should aim for relegation. However I would rather see Wakey invest the money they do have in making the club successful & sustainable for the long term, rather than chucking all the money they do have at the first team squad simply to avoid being relegated.

Bumbling along in the lower reaches of SL season after season isn't the be all and end all for me. There is a reason why after 15 seasons of SL, simply making the play-offs is seen as a major achievement for Wakey. Imagine if Wakey had had a sensible long-term plan when they first came into SL, rather than chucking everything at a succession of fairly average players year after year.

Hope the RFL are going to be scrutinising Salfords books. No way can they keep all these signings under the cap.

Warrington do.

Warrington do.

what signings have Warrington made? How many did they make this year?

Smith deal already signed. Kirmond and Amor also signing. Chase done with Sneyd going on loan to cas. Puletua and hock done deals also.

Kirmond is staying at Wakefield.

I didn't say they should aim for relegation. However I would rather see Wakey invest the money they do have in making the club successful & sustainable for the long term, rather than chucking all the money they do have at the first team squad simply to avoid being relegated.

Bumbling along in the lower reaches of SL season after season isn't the be all and end all for me. There is a reason why after 15 seasons of SL, simply making the play-offs is seen as a major achievement for Wakey. Imagine if Wakey had had a sensible long-term plan when they first came into SL, rather than chucking everything at a succession of fairly average players year after year.

Point taken, but I also take Martyn Sadlers point that relegation could be devastating and from what Mr. Glover says he wants the clubs to stay in SL as they transfer to Newmarket. For me it's a shame that a couple of our big clubs can't get the investors they need to make them even bigger whilst a couple of small clubs seem to have access to unlimited funds.

Nothing against any clubs it just won't IMHO make for the strongest of Superleagues which won't do the game any good, but it's as always every man for himself.

I'm not sure about a "sensible long term plan" even Superleague as whole don't have that. All I saw was Mr. Richardson doing his best to ensure Wakefield stayed in SL and competed a bit. Any "plan" requires money. I don't know of any club who has advanced themselves via an unfinanced plan......

Excellent stuff from the Chairman. Wakey to be run as a business. That's what we need if we're to move forward as a club. Next year two clubs go down, London plus one. If we can galvanise the fighting spirit we had when John Kear was coach, when we had a sub-standard team too, then 2014 could be an exciting season, as we scrap for SL survival. If we do go down, it won't be the end, as we'll just have to come back up the next season!

Great that next season's U19s will be full-time for the first time ever. That should see them make some good progress.

Meli,, McPherson, Puelutua I don't think are classed as overseas players.

Raparia and Sau will count.

Home trained will be Williams, Fages, Gleeson, Ashurst, Dixon, Evalds, Ford, Owen, Griffin (if he stays)

Released or signed elsewhere Godwin, Gibson, Broughton,Neal

Point taken, but I also take Martyn Sadlers point that relegation could be devastating and from what Mr. Glover says he wants the clubs to stay in SL as they transfer to Newmarket. For me it's a shame that a couple of our big clubs can't get the investors they need to make them even bigger whilst a couple of small clubs seem to have access to unlimited funds.

Nothing against any clubs it just won't IMHO make for the strongest of Superleagues which won't do the game any good, but it's as always every man for himself.

I assume your not saying Wakefield are a big club, surely they are not significantly bigger (or any bigger for that matter) than the couple of smaller clubs you refer to

I find the 'sugar daddy' comments quite poor from people in official roles. It reads a little like feeling sorry for yourself.

The biggest and best clubs are the biggest and best clubs because they are run the best - irrespective of a sugar daddy.

I find the 'sugar daddy' comments quite poor from people in official roles. It reads a little like feeling sorry for yourself.

The biggest and best clubs are the biggest and best clubs because they are run the best - irrespective of a sugar daddy.

Couldn't agree more

To be fair I don't think the "sugar daddy" comment is a side swipe at other clubs, I think he's trying to make it clear that unless people support Waley and buy memberships the club is under threat.

I read it as him saying it won't all come out alright even if you don't support the club, It was a call to action for fans letting them now the situation is potentially dire.