Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

Wakefield

73 posts in this topic

In February 2011 they went into administration and nearly out of existence. 2 1/2 yrs later they are pleading with the fans and sponsors to help the through their crisis - a £400k shortfall in working capital.

For the past 18 months we've heard nothing but praise for Wakefield and how they've gone about their business - new stadium on the horizon and I think it was Goldcoaster who said they are probably the most attractive club for a wealthy backer

So where's it all gone wrong? Wa Glover not the man they thought he was? Cheap tickets? over inflated salaries?

To be in this state so soon after admin is not exactly heartwarming.

Must admit it seems odd to an outsider. I thought the future was bright?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Agar become full time coach of the French team at the end of the season.

wakey will always be just making up the numbers in sl- shame but modern sport is structured in such a way that money rules- loyalty and honesty are things of the past, rip wakey

The problem at Wakey is that they are trying to live with the unrealistic expectations of the licensing system with an owner who is merely wealthy, rather than rich.

Hopefully they and the others in a similar position can limp through to the end of this disasterous experiement and then go on to prosper once sanity is restored in 2015.

The problem at Wakey is that they are trying to live with the unrealistic expectations of the licensing system with an owner who is merely wealthy, rather than rich.

Hopefully they and the others in a similar position can limp through to the end of this disasterous experiement and then go on to prosper once sanity is restored in 2015.

They weren't exactly prospering under the old system were they? Yet since licensing they have started getting their act together and this is a bad thing? I think licensing has given them a kick up the arris and that they would be in a much worse scenario had it not been for that.

I don't think there is anything wrong at Wakey. Glover came in and brought the club into some stability, but he isn't a Koucash type with loads of money. Now that we have stability, we need to increase our income if we are to compete with the big boys. If we can't increase our income, then we need to mix with the next batch, which is bottom of SL & the bigger Championship clubs. What we can't do though is pretend that the world owes us a living or that somehow we deserve more income. We have to earn it, and there is no reason why we can't do so with good planning.

The chairman seems to have been very honest and set out the real situation, which is refreshingly honest.

I don't think there is anything wrong at Wakey. Glover came in and brought the club into some stability, but he isn't a Koucash type with loads of money. Now that we have stability, we need to increase our income if we are to compete with the big boys. If we can't increase our income, then we need to mix with the next batch, which is bottom of SL & the bigger Championship clubs. What we can't do though is pretend that the world owes us a living or that somehow we deserve more income. We have to earn it, and there is no reason why we can't do so with good planning.

The chairman seems to have been very honest and set out the real situation, which is refreshingly honest.

You'll know more than me about this but selling season tickets at half price seems to be counter productive. It didn't work at Bradford and the Wildcats seem to have suffered a similar fate. Yes, both clubs sold them in good numbers and attendances soared but the income generated simply isn't enough. The problem now is how do you bump up the prices sufficiently to pay your way and at the same time keep the same healthy crowd figures?

Can you point me in the direction of these half price tickets please Terry, cos I pay the best part of £200.

Or is it another Internet forum myth?

You'll know more than me about this but selling season tickets at half price seems to be counter productive. It didn't work at Bradford and the Wildcats seem to have suffered a similar fate. Yes, both clubs sold them in good numbers and attendances soared but the income generated simply isn't enough. The problem now is how do you bump up the prices sufficiently to pay your way and at the same time keep the same healthy crowd figures?

It's got to be gradual growth for Wakey. The increase in crowd numbers has certainly made watching Wakey a much more enjoyable experience, but we need to ensure that the income from the spectator base is increased.

Let's get something straight Wakefield are no where near going bust or into Administration!

What the new Chairman is saying is that over the whole course of a business year Wakefield would need an extra £400k to maintain their current position/status etc

They are "underfunded to the tune of £400k per year"

Season tickets are not half price and the discount is somewhat offset by the increased retail revenue within the ground.

The problems have been largely created through the incompetence of one individual.. Nuff said!

Well I hope so. I don't want to see any RL club in the mire

Let's get something straight Wakefield are no where near going bust or into Administration!

What the new Chairman is saying is that over the whole course of a business year Wakefield would need an extra £400k to maintain their current position/status etc

They are "underfunded to the tune of £400k per year"

Season tickets are not half price and the discount is somewhat offset by the increased retail revenue within the ground.

The problems have been largely created through the incompetence of one individual.. Nuff said!

Who would that individual be?

Can you point me in the direction of these half price tickets please Terry, cos I pay the best part of £200.

Or is it another Internet forum myth?

is £200 the cheapest adult season ticket? it is at many clubs, and I must admit I thought Wakey were selling at below this level.

Wakefield did sell at half price for people that got their tickets early enough

I paid a visit to Wakefield recently to watch them play Wigan, a Wakey fan friend of mine sorted tickets out for me to collect from the ticket office

To say what followed was about as amateurish shambles as its possible to get and my whole trip to the place left me thinking how utterly poorly run the whole place was - good crowd inside but there seemed to be a noticeable lack of any real way to increase ground revenue

Which at least means they can improve, but leaves the question why wasn't it done sooner

Well said. Mr. Glover is exactly the man he claimed to be. He was very clear he had no money to put in but would run it as a business in terms of the club not going into debt. After a short period of making improvements to the ground and getting the crowds up (well done Mr. Glover) he can now be honest and say that the club is £400K a year short and sell Tim smith to cover that.

This is no suprise and is in line with the sort of shortfalls several other SL clubs have. Neil Hudgell is good enough to explain how HKR are £500K a year short. Castleford are short of the money they need to compete.

Glover never promised to be a private benefactor for Wakefield, but he's steadied the ship. For me he recognises how Newmarket can be the saviour and without that I would guess he would not have taken Wakefield on. It's tiresome people calling some clubs paragons of business virtue and shining examples of how a club should be run (e.g. Fev) when in reality they just have access to private money. Equally it's tiresome when clubs are called "badly managed" just because their local area don't support them in enough numbers to make them viable for SL.  I don't think Cas are "badly run" just because they cannot get the ground at Glasshoughton going.

Glover, Chapman or Fulton, they are all a credit to the game.

For the past 18 months we've heard nothing but praise for Wakefield and how they've gone about their business - new stadium on the horizon and I think it was Goldcoaster who said they are probably the most attractive club for a wealthy backer

There have been plenty of people here and elsewhere that have highlighted that mr Glover doesn't have the required funds to make a lasting difference at Trinity. There have been plenty of people that have pointed out that he's still got the same useless CEO in charge as slippery Ted had. The fact that a load of lazy journalists haven't reported this says something about their professional credibility. .

Personally I'd like to ask Mr Elston what he's got to say for himself. He has after all wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds paying rubbish players decent salaries (or paying off or heavily subsidising their loan moves) that he signed before Agar came in that aren't good enough.

Glover has run it as a hobby. On the lash with Elston most games and the line between employer and employee simply isn't there, they've become good mates and it's that relationship that has protected Elston.

I think the discounted season tickets have served their primary purpose which was to increase the crowd numbers. Similarly the construction of the two new stands. The return to full price ticketing would have been easier to phase in if Newmarket had been available. Unfortunately we're still stuck at Belle Vue and have had a relatively poor season so the newbies don't really fancy paying full whack.

What Wakefield need is the new ground with its extra revenue streams, but that's out of their hands at the moment.

is £200 the cheapest adult season ticket? it is at many clubs, and I must admit I thought Wakey were selling at below this level.

£180

What Wakefield need is the new ground with its extra revenue streams, but that's out of their hands at the moment.

You need to be sure about those "extra revenue streams". Our financial situation meant that we lost control of that aspect when we got our new ground. The fact that we now don't get those revenue streams* is one of the problems that Dr Koukash is trying hard to overcome.

* As far as I know.

PRESS RELEASE

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats Chairman, Michael Carter, has released the following statement:

Following the announcement of my position as Chairman of Wakefield Trinity Wildcats, I would firstly like to thank all those fans that have wished me well in the role.

Having conducted a review of the whole business and in particular the finances of the club, it has become obviously apparent that the club is completely under capitalised at this time to the tune of somewhere in the region of £400,000. It's no secret that the vast majority of Super League clubs all need significant investment and this is usually financed by wealthy owners. Wakefield doesn't have one of these, so to be a success we need the people and businesses of Wakefield to come forward.

This has led to a restructure in the top management at the club and ultimately it is now myself and another director, Chris Brereton, who are managing the club on a day-to-day basis. We are two fans who have stepped forward to try and pull this club through what is a very difficult situation and we would appreciate your full support in these testing times.

Therefore, ultimately it was my decision to sell Tim Smith to Salford with immediate effect for a substantial fee. I would also say that on the same day I turned down an offer of a substantial six-figure sum for our captain Danny Kirmond. Having spoken to Danny during the week and explaining that I want to try and build a team around him, he told me he was perfectly happy at Wakefield and is happy to lead from the front. As has already been announced, Danny has signed a new deal and my ultimate aim is to see him leading us out at Newmarket as a Super League club.

For that to happen, we need all the fans of the club and local businesses to really step forward and show how much it means. We are confident that we have a business plan in place that can see us as a competitive team in Super League 2014. However, we cannot do it without immediate cash inflows including, but not exclusively, 2014 Memberships. We feel they still represent excellent value.

We have budgeted for 4,000 sales. If we sell more than this, I guarantee that these funds will be ploughed back into the team for next season. However, without any sugar daddy waiting in the wings, I have to run this club as a business. Expenditure must equal income. If there are people out there willing to invest in this great club then they must come forward now.

On the positive side, we have managed to extend the contracts of some of our key players. I have already mentioned Danny, but also Dean Collis and most recently Lee Smith and Ali Lauitiiti have all signed up for next season.

We are also soon to launch our Sport & Education Academy. We want to make this college the best around in terms of providing further and higher education to young people looking to get a sporting qualification. It will also generate funds that again will be ploughed back into the running of the club.

It also means that our under 19's Academy side will become full-time next season for the first time in the clubs history which is quite an achievement. We would love to have a team of homegrown players playing in front of Wakefield fans. This college also strengthens our position in the local community, something that our community team have quite rightly been praised for by many people and organisations - local people supporting local people.

I know that you as fans will have many more questions. I am arranging to meet with the Supporters Trust this week to try and explain the actions we are taking. I have always been an open and honest person, and where possible, I will aim to answer all questions if I possibly can.

I know with a lot of hard work and a little luck, we can get this club to Newmarket as a Super League club. It is more important than ever that you stick with me and my small team to manage this business properly. Should there be anything of great magnitude I will endeavour to tell you all as soon as I possibly can.

The question remains, does this great city of Wakefield want a full-time professional Super League club, or not? If the answer is yes, then I need your support more than ever before.

Well said. Mr. Glover is exactly the man he claimed to be. He was very clear he had no money to put in but would run it as a business in terms of the club not going into debt. After a short period of making improvements to the ground and getting the crowds up (well done Mr. Glover) he can now be honest and say that the club is £400K a year short and sell Tim smith to cover that.

This is no suprise and is in line with the sort of shortfalls several other SL clubs have. Neil Hudgell is good enough to explain how HKR are £500K a year short. Castleford are short of the money they need to compete.

Glover never promised to be a private benefactor for Wakefield, but he's steadied the ship. For me he recognises how Newmarket can be the saviour and without that I would guess he would not have taken Wakefield on. It's tiresome people calling some clubs paragons of business virtue and shining examples of how a club should be run (e.g. Fev) when in reality they just have access to private money. Equally it's tiresome when clubs are called "badly managed" just because their local area don't support them in enough numbers to make them viable for SL. I don't think Cas are "badly run" just because they cannot get the ground at Glasshoughton going.

Glover, Chapman or Fulton, they are all a credit to the game.

Very good post Parky, cannot agree more.

Cant knock people who put money into any club whether it be Leeds, Wigan or North Wales, Gateshead Thunder etc. Throwing money around does not make a club well run or professional. As we have seen in SL , most are poorly run and think short term instead of long term and what is best for the club and game. With respect to many people who are working at SL clubs, is the case they know somebody or was a former player. That might be OK at amateur leve,l but as a business, which most Professional Clubs claim to be its not. For me as a business, I would want to emply the right people with the most experience and success that I could afford. Hiring somebody with next to know experience just because he was a loyal or good rugby player for me is crazy. Paying out money that I do not have is crazy. Trying to cut corners by throwing free or dirt cheap tickets away like a number of clubs seem happy to do with no plan is crazy.

Since SL started I do feel that clubs in general have moved away from the things that made them what they are. Being part of the community is more than just throwing tickets around or sending some players to some schools. There has to be a plan/strategy/framework with what you are trying to achieve whether that be marketing, community work, coaching etc with regular reviews and ammendments. It concerns me that so many SL clubs have not just problems but the same problems and the attitude is we are in SL and just doing the bare minimum to stay in and hoping we can stay there. There are major problems in our game and for me the RFL and Clubs are doing it all wrong by just constantly changing and hoping without seeing where often the problems are and what needs to happen. I hope Wakefield sort things out but it needs more than just people throwing money in for it to change