Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jt

4 in a row

58 posts in this topic

Sick of hearing folk say winning the league means nothing........But actually this year it does. It means an awful lot of money!

I'm a bit confused though, on the Kingstone Press site it says the Championship league winners get £25K, and the Championship League 1 winners get £50K. Surely this is the wrong way round?

I think the prize money comment is correct Steve if my memory is correct I seem to remember the Grand Final from previous years was 100k for the winners and 30k for the runners up plus a lot lower for championship 1 not sure on the exact amount.

Congrats and thanks for stuffing Hunslet from a Barrow Fan and looking forward to our to our trip to Fev next year

You sad individual, you must be gutted that Swinton beat one of your neighbours and stayed up.

Congratulations to Fev well deserved and as far as I am concerned the true Champions of the league. The play offs are a glorified cup competition.

Well played Fev, you played the game as it should be, rock solid passing and rock solid tackling......The Eagles unfortunately still have the Super League mentality of being flash.....Flip the ball up and there will be a player running on to it but we are not fulltime super leaguers, after you have perhaps repaired a leak, given the all clear to a child who was suspected to be suffering from cancer or you have cleared a drain and possibly fitted a kitchen, to then play eighty minutes of the greatest game needs good basic skills like yours not Bend it like Beckham lookalikes....

Congratulations Featherstone on yet another league leaders title - no matter what interpretation some people may put on it nobody should dispute that you are and have been the best team in this league - enjoy

Well played Fev, you played the game as it should be, rock solid passing and rock solid tackling......The Eagles unfortunately still have the Super League mentality of being flash.....Flip the ball up and there will be a player running on to it but we are not fulltime super leaguers, after you have perhaps repaired a leak, given the all clear to a child who was suspected to be suffering from cancer or you have cleared a drain and possibly fitted a kitchen, to then play eighty minutes of the greatest game needs good basic skills like yours not Bend it like Beckham lookalikes....

Very gracious of you E, but don't dismiss your side, they are formidable opponents and have been a lot more consistent this year. It's tough being favourites though, isn't it? There's always other clubs like Leigh and Fax that can raise their game against you!

Obviously the first time was amazing. Having not lived through the "glory days" myself seeing rovers become the top side out of super league was an experience I'd longed for, but with the serious competition provided by Sheffield, as well as capable sides like Leigh and Fax this year has possibly been the sweetest (so far.) Does anyone else agree?

These days yes, finishing top means nothing we all know that!

Apart from the £25000 the RFL sends you, obviously.

No it's not the championship, but to say it means nowt is a bit over the top.

Different sport different rules, what a silly comparison! And I'm not trying to belittle it because there's nothing to belittle, your either the champions or your not, that's Sheffield eagles and until you win the grand final will still be Sheffield eagles!

These days yes, finishing top means nothing we all know that! Great folowing from you lot today at least 900 of you, bet the two who boycotted feel like idiots tonight!

Not in the least, ready salted. I dont mind admitting that it was myself and the wife. We both stood up to be counted. Say want they want, as long as they keep their hands off.

Supporters have said it before, and will say it again: It is only in our sport where the team who tops the league at the end of the league fixtures is not (officially) entitled to be called 'champions'. For some reason which most people, RFL officials excluded, find difficult to understand, Rugby League Officials call the winners of an end of season knock out competition 'Champions'. That was the comparison being made - the names that you put to it are not important. Wigan Athletic as winners of a cup competition more successful than the team who topped the league ( Man. Utd.) - I think not

Supporters have said it before, and will say it again: It is only in our sport where the team who tops the league at the end of the league fixtures is not (officially) entitled to be called 'champions'. For some reason which most people, RFL officials excluded, find difficult to understand, Rugby League Officials call the winners of an end of season knock out competition 'Champions'. That was the comparison being made - the names that you put to it are not important. Wigan Athletic as winners of a cup competition more successful than the team who topped the league ( Man. Utd.) - I think not

...and also unlike other sports are not allowed the right of promotion either....that's rugby league in a nutshell;

...and also unlike other sports are not allowed the right of promotion either....that's rugby league in a nutshell;

Unfortunately we are where we are.

However, really pleased for Danny Evans, Sean Long and all back office. Great to see the togetherness of the team right now, especially at the end of the match when they sang in front of the fans! (I think they were singing). Couldn't make it to the clubhouse last night but should imagine a few shandy's were supped.......

Supporters have said it before, and will say it again: It is only in our sport where the team who tops the league at the end of the league fixtures is not (officially) entitled to be called 'champions'.

Just not true, Frank.

the reason chamionship winners only get 25k to champ 1's 50k is that Fev now have the chance to win more money in the play offs where crusaders are automatically promoted and don't enter the play offs

Explain please Griff

Frank - just look around.  More sports have play-offs than a straight league championship these days.

How about the Superbowl ?  One of the biggest TV events on the planet.

Top of the guiness premiership does not make yoy rugby union champions. There are other examples.

That's what I believe griff is referring to frank

the reason chamionship winners only get 25k to champ 1's 50k is that Fev now have the chance to win more money in the play offs where crusaders are automatically promoted and don't enter the play offs

Surprised how many people haven't spotted this.  Third time I've seen this explained in the past month.

Top of the guiness premiership does not make yoy rugby union champions. There are other examples.

That's what I believe griff is referring to frank

Basketball, ice hockey too.

There's pretty much only soccer and cricket sticking with tradition these days.

Even footy has a systen where finishing 6th can still get you promorion..... even 7th in div4!

So in that case Crusaders are Champions in their division? But Fev aren't allowed to call themselves Champions. Is that discrimination?

Diff league... diff criteria steve.

Its no more discriminatory tgan say the 3rd place team in div 4 of soccer goes up whereas tge 3rd place team in div 3 has to enter a play off.

So in that case Crusaders are Champions in their division? But Fev aren't allowed to call themselves Champions. Is that discrimination?

The Equalities Commission may be able to help. ;)

Could always get relegated and play in Div 3 if you prefer the rules. :laugh:

Robin

You have now done several posts on this thread without falling out with Griff. Can we get back to normal service please, it's getting a bit concerning !

Rich