Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Huddersfield?

124 posts in this topic

Wakey's problem is its a dump, a terrible view of the pitch and a millstone round the clubs neck.

if not actually being able to see 60% of the game is your thing, its fine. - also, ZERO cover from the elements.

What they get at Belle Vue is as good as it will get barring a miracle.

Odsal has a great view, but again no cover from the elements and any atmosphere can be lost there pretty easily

The John Smiths is an international class stadium with a superb playing surface, superb views from almost anywhere and cover from the elements - and its had plenty of atmosphere this season when there has been something to cheer about

Wakey's problem is its a dump, a terrible view of the pitch and a millstone round the clubs neck.if not actually being able to see 60% of the game is your thing, its fine. - also, ZERO cover from the elements.What they get at Belle Vue is as good as it will get barring a miracle.Odsal has a great view, but again no cover from the elements and any atmosphere can be lost there pretty easilyThe John Smiths is an international class stadium with a superb playing surface, superb views from almost anywhere and cover from the elements - and its had plenty of atmosphere this season when there has been something to cheer about

Make your mind up sunshine.

It doesnt, because thats not the dealto sit behind the posts (poor view, full face of the elements) its £99 - for a reason, no one wants to sit there. You can get it for £89 if you were there on Saturday.Along the sides its £200 - or £185 if you were there on Saturday.Does that seem more sensible?

the hi jacking of Sheffield eagles sl cash set the game back 20 years, sheff had achieved more in their short history than any meaningless shield, hudds deserve nothing

the hi jacking of Sheffield eagles sl cash set the game back 20 years, sheff had achieved more in their short history than any meaningless shield, hudds deserve nothing

Changed direction once again when things don't work out for you. At least it's not in bold any more.

Bless, are you a bitter Wakey fan? most sheffield fans arent so bitter in my experience - just Wakey fans desperate to push attention of their lying, cheating and ineptitude

usually from an utterly wrong position too.

Huddersfield are a model SL club, and are officially heavyweights now, after becoming only the 6th ever club to win the LLS.

I'm old enough to remember Huddersfield pulling in attendances in their hundreds and being a pee poor side with it.

And that was in a "traditional" RL ground with all of its supposed atmosphere.

And that was in a "traditional" RL ground with all of its supposed atmosphere.

With P&R as well

Huddersfield are a model SL club, and are officially heavyweights now, after becoming only the 6th ever club to win the LLS.

I'm not sure that I agree. If the model is having a wealthy backer that has pumped in loads and loads of cash then perhaps. If the model is being self sufficient on the back of their own crowds then they're as big a basket case as pretty much every club in the rope few tiers.

Bradford's 7,000 is better than they were getting as a table topping side pre SL.

Don't be silly!

Before SL gates were massive - P&R, contested scrums, proper Bovril......................................

Bless, are you a bitter Wakey fan? most sheffield fans arent so bitter in my experience - just Wakey fans desperate to push attention of their lying, cheating and ineptitude

usually from an utterly wrong position too.

none of the above- just a realist who doesn't enjoy the game half as much any more and is not afraid to face up to the stark and dire position sl is in, there are no people here with solutions just ostriches looking for some nice soft sand, and before the "why are you here" posts start its because I care about a game I have watched and played since a child and hate to see the mess its heading in to. go back to part time or something, stop competing with money laden sports and take stock at least for a while.

Don't be silly!

Before SL gates were massive - P&R, contested scrums, proper Bovril......................................

I certainly take your point about the bovril.

none of the above- just a realist who doesn't enjoy the game half as much any more and is not afraid to face up to the stark and dire position sl is in, there are no people here with solutions just ostriches looking for some nice soft sand, and before the "why are you here" posts start its because I care about a game I have watched and played since a child and hate to see the mess its heading in to. go back to part time or something, stop competing with money laden sports and take stock at least for a while.

Do you not enjoy the game as much because you have constructed some delusional alternate history when all was well in the game and wonderful?

You're certainly making stuff up from what I can see

This is a wind up, right? Go back to part time, really. You think that is a solution worthy of discussion by us ostriches?

This is a wind up, right? Go back to part time, really. You think that is a solution worthy of discussion by us ostriches?

or watch the game go bust?

Do Huddersfield bring in good TV ratings and sponsors though?

Im sure Saturday's game was very widely viewed.

or watch the game go bust?

You think going part time would save the sport from going bust? Genius idea, I'm sure the sponsors and tv channels will pay great money to a part time sport that has basically admitted its 3rd rate at best. Well done you, saved the sport from extinction. We all owe you a massive thanks.

If you compare with Huddersfield football attendance, which benefits from the huge profile the Premier League gives to football, the fact they are in Football League Championship that has some very well supported teams (Leeds, Notts Forest, Sheffield, Derby, Leicester, etc) and hence can swell the crowd when visitors then they are not doing too badly.

Average for Huddersfield football last season was approx. just less than 15000, this season they have a current average of around 13,000.

All in all not that bad I would suggest in comparison given the advantage football has.  The question equally applies to both football and Rugby League in Huddersfield as to how to increase fan base.

As I have said before our comparison and main competitive sports focus has to be with the Football League and Union as to how SL is attracting fans against the huge over powering and all consuming Premier League.

It would seem to me that both those sports leagues (football league and Rugby Union) attract better sponsorship and commercial revenues as the main problem in comparison rather than fan base.  One helped by the Premier League umbrella and the other sport by its huge international game and hence exposure..

As somebody else said previous... success is a key ingredient to increasing the fan base and can not be ignored. That is consistent success and Huddersfield RL are only really just starting that journey of what they will hope is consistent success in the modern era.

Bedlam Breakout, you used to post as Bionic Barrel right? Two word alliterative user name, Half Man Half Biscuit line as a signature, all or nothing opinions...

Yes it should be discussed especially by you ostriches who are hiding your heads in the sand and ignoring the reality that over half of SL cannot afford full time professionalism and this is driving club after club to the brink. Don't get me wrong, fully pro would be the best outcome BUT if it's unsustainable then alternatives must be considered or the game will be in very serious trouble.

When we were part time the game was watched on terrestrial TV ( BBC) with magazine programs on Granada (ITV) and a major knockout competition sponsored by john Player. The league had sponsors ( Stones Bitter). RU which was amateur, never mind part time pro also got huge exposure for its internationals and tour games.

I don't think Sky care whether the game is fully pro or semi pro so long as it as a good product on the field and available to fill their schedules between football matches.

Bradford's 7,000 is better than they were getting as a table topping side pre SL.

But not as good as the huge attendances when they were a top side post WW2. What is your point ? Their attendances are dropping because of a lack of success in comparison to what they were pulling in when they were dominating SL.