Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

Another cyclist-killer escapes proper punishment

80 posts in this topic

Had a visit from the local plod who told me he later admitted liability and the whole incident is also on the CCTV cameras at the junction, he also agreed to pay my damages

Well done in getting the police to act on an obvious deviation from the law.

Excellent outcome. If only the police were as assiduous in pursuit of the MILLIONS of law breaking sandwich eating mobile phone using speeding car drivers who are responsible for something like 30000 KSIs a year.

I ###### hate these threads. If we say all cyclists are the same and all drivers are the same the we'll get nowhere.

There is good and bad on both sides

That is very true and in any debate the motorist is at a disadvantage. Emotive phrases like "cyclist killer" are used which really doesn't help matters. In this case the driver was a moron and undoubtedly at fault, but I doubt he set out to kill a cyclist as a consequence. His sentence may be lenient in the opinion of some but he's hardly to blame for that. I'd suggest their outrage would be better directed at the sentencing guidelines rather than the culprit.

As a side issue, I saw a cyclist wipe a pedestrian out yesterday evening by riding on the pavement at speed. But issues like that don't make headlines where as a collision between a vehicle and a cyclist is more newsworthy as its much more likely to have resulted in death or serious injury.

Cyclists cause accidents, just as motorists do, just as pedestrians, animals and road conditions do, but cyclists seem to adopt some completely blameless moral high ground which is what irks me when this subject comes up.

I love the attitude of the guy in red. He's in such a hurry that he feels the need to Jump the lights, but not that much of a hurry that he can then turn back and argue the issue with the other chap.

Excellent outcome. If only the police were as assiduous in pursuit of the MILLIONS of law breaking sandwich eating mobile phone using speeding car drivers who are responsible for something like 30000 KSIs a year.

Pet hate of mine is Mobile users, i will pull alongside and give them a toot to remind them. on the other hand i have been known to nosh the odd sandwich while at the wheel.

To be fair to the old bill though, ive had the odd occasion to hail down a patrol car and tell them about a cyclist ive passed with no lights and they have waited for them in a side street to have a word

Bradford Road between Birstall and Dewsbury between 4-6am is full of them, theres a few dark places where they cant be seen either, on the wide bend just approaching the Frontier is a real black zone, the streetlights on the opposite side are blocked by overgrown trees and for a bout 20 metres its pitch black

Interesting look at accident stats here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reported_Road_Casualties_Great_Britain

Are roads safer? Clearly, not for cyclists.

In addition, why are annual road death figures falling?  Better , safer car designs? Faster response from emergency services? better  ambulances - more like mini hospitals. Certainly its not down to better driving, in my view.

That is also why we should be focussing on KSI stats rather than just road deaths.

I'm on tour with my band, this week in The Netherlands. Whilst acknowledging that there are far more cyclist about, the general care and attention of the road users in respect of them is noticeably different to the UK.

You've hit the nail on the head here - "far more cyclists".  These people are probably motorists as well and as such can see both side of the argument and both cycle and drive with more respect for one another.

When I went to university in Hull in the 1980s there was far more two-wheeled traffic, particularly bikes, on the roads of East Yorkshire than in East Lancshire.  I had both a bicycle and a Vespa at the time and found that local car drivers were far more conscious of two-wheelers than at home.

Except for the ####### who knocked me off my scooter on Anlaby Rd.

A pedestrian, cyclist, man with 10 sheep etc has a right to use the highway. It just happens that the motor vehicle is in such a majority that many drivers think have a right of way over others.

Seems fair enough.  Motorists pay for the roads. Pedestrians, cyclists and shepherds use them for nowt and expect priority.

Spongers. :tongue:

Seems fair enough.  Motorists pay for the roads. Pedestrians, cyclists and shepherds use them for nowt and expect priority.

Spongers. :tongue:

But motorists don't pay for the roads - we do not pay Road Tax, we pay Vehicle Excise Duty - a tax on vehicles.

But motorists don't pay for the roads - we do not pay Road Tax, we pay Vehicle Excise Duty - a tax on vehicles.

Fair point.  Well, a bike is a vehicle - why aren't they paying ?

Fair point.  Well, a bike is a vehicle - why aren't they paying ?

Dear, oh dear, oh dear ...

Fair point. Well, a bike is a vehicle - why aren't they paying ?

Because VED is based on vehicle emissions. Not all cars are subject to VED these days.

Because VED is based on vehicle emissions. Not all cars are subject to VED these days.

Do cyclists hold their breath or summat ?

Do electric cars only run on electricity from a green source ?  Or can you use any old electricity ?

Fundamentally flawed if you ask me.

The Cambridge Cycle Campaign suggested that "Arguing that cyclists therefore have less right to use the roads is like arguing that smokers should take precedence for medical treatment, because non-smokers don't buy cigarettes and therefore 'don't pay hospital tax".

see here

The Cambridge Cycle Campaign suggested that "Arguing that cyclists therefore have less right to use the roads is like arguing that smokers should take precedence for medical treatment, because non-smokers don't buy cigarettes and therefore 'don't pay hospital tax".

see here

Who'd've thought that ?  From a cyclists' group ?

Astonishing. ;)

..but true!

My favourites are.

1. Since  a huge number of head injuries are caused to drivers in car accidents, it would make good sense on health, safety and economic grounds to make helmet wearing compulsory for car drivers.

2. Before being granted a provisional car driving licence, you must first pass a cycling proficiency test.

..but true!

My favourites are.

1. Since a huge number of head injuries are caused to drivers in car accidents, it would make good sense on health, safety and economic grounds to make helmet wearing compulsory for car drivers.

2. Before being granted a provisional car driving licence, you must first pass a cycling proficiency test.

Perhaps you ought to have to pass a cycling proficiency test to be allowed on the road on a bicycle then also ;)

How do you know cyclists pay no tax? Have you thought it may be included in the cost of a bike? Those cyclists who are cycling to work, I assume are paying income tax. Get off your high horses and grow some sense you plonkers.

Perhaps you ought to have to pass a cycling proficiency test to be allowed on the road on a bicycle then also ;)

No. At issue is imroving the driving of 30 million motorists.

No. At issue is imroving the driving of 30 million motorists.

I was fishing. ;) More common sense all around would probably help amongst all road users, along with a bit of tolerance and patience. Some drivers are good, some aren't, same with cyclists, pedestrians,motorcyclists, HGV and any other road users. Even those who are good would be lying if they said they'd never made an error on the road.

I drove to work in thick fog this morning. En route I passed numerous cars without lights on, a couple of cyclists with no lights or hi viz and people walking dogs on narrow roads with no pavements who were wearing grey and black clothing. It's the responsibility of other road users to look where they're going, but a whole selection could do a whole lot to make themselves more visible, especially those who are most vulnerable in the event of a collision.

can't argue with that.

but I'm working on it!   :)

I was fishing. ;) More common sense all around would probably help amongst all road users, along with a bit of tolerance and patience. Some drivers are good, some aren't, same with cyclists, pedestrians,motorcyclists, HGV and any other road users. Even those who are good would be lying if they said they'd never made an error on the road.

I drove to work in thick fog this morning. En route I passed numerous cars without lights on, a couple of cyclists with no lights or hi viz and people walking dogs on narrow roads with no pavements who were wearing grey and black clothing. It's the responsibility of other road users to look where they're going, but a whole selection could do a whole lot to make themselves more visible, especially those who are most vulnerable in the event of a collision.

Well said! Although I have never caused an accident in 35 years of driving, I have enjoyed a bit of luck occasionally. We all make errors of judgement out on the roads.