Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnM

Another cyclist-killer escapes proper punishment

80 posts in this topic

I drove to work in thick fog this morning. En route I passed numerous cars without lights on, a couple of cyclists with no lights or hi viz and people walking dogs on narrow roads with no pavements who were wearing grey and black clothing.

Same for me this morning - made slightly worse by it being the first day of the school run.  I was very pleased I'd charged all my lights and so could be fully LED'd up.

How do you know cyclists pay no tax? Have you thought it may be included in the cost of a bike? Those cyclists who are cycling to work, I assume are paying income tax. Get off your high horses and grow some sense you plonkers.

Cars are VAT free then. Right ........ :dry:

And don't bring horses into it, we've enough trouble with bikes. :angry:

Quite so. still, we can rely on the forces of law and order to keep offenders off the roads: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23967547

Of course it is incumbent on all of us to comply with the law and to protect ourselves, reduce our vulnerability, crawl, walk, run, ride and drive defensively. 

Of course it is incumbent on all of us to comply with the law and to protect ourselves, reduce our vulnerability, crawl, walk, run, ride and drive defensively. 

In a nutshell.

Seems fair enough.  Motorists pay for the roads. Pedestrians, cyclists and shepherds use them for nowt and expect priority.

Spongers. :tongue:

Can't believe how many bit. :lol:

Quite so. still, we can rely on the forces of law and order to keep offenders off the roads: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23967547

Quite.

The most sensible comment on this thread. The roads belong to us all and we all share the responsibility to use them safely, regardless of the mode of transport we happen to be using. 

For World Energy Day, today's Richard Bacon programme on Radio 5 will be powered by electricity generated by cyclists.

You can lose sympathy for a group of people awfully quick, can't you? :P 

For World Energy Day, today's Richard Bacon programme on Radio 5 will be powered by electricity generated by cyclists.

You can lose sympathy for a group of people awfully quick, can't you? :P

What powers the cyclists ?

What powers the cyclists ?

the 1/2 MV squared of the cars that hit them?

the 1/2 MV squared of the cars that hit them?

Bit of physics revision needed there. ;)

Anyway, travelling a short distance to pick up Mrs Griff from work last night (after sunset) , I saw ten cyclists, one with lights, nine without.  One cyclist riding up a dual carriageway the wrong way, three riding on the causey, eight wearing dark clothing.

.mechanics, really..I went to school before physics was invented.

. why doesn't a car transfer its kinetic energy to the cyclist it hits? ( ignoring losses)

as for the cyclists..quite shocking..and clearly wrong..but at least you were alert enough to see them

Not just cyclists who are affected by other road users poor judgement. These are simply two of thousands of such examples. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2168939/Jumping-red-lights-Putting-pedestrians-peril-Why-tartars-wheels-think-law.html

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/no-jail-driver-who-killed-1313922

The key issue really is the actions of specific individuals, rather than their choice of vehicle. Roads are dangerous for all users. If you want to maximise your survival chances, make yourself as visible as possible and assume everyone else is out to get you. :D

Not just cyclists who are affected by other road users poor judgement. These are simply two of thousands of such examples. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2168939/Jumping-red-lights-Putting-pedestrians-peril-Why-tartars-wheels-think-law.html

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/local-news/no-jail-driver-who-killed-1313922

The key issue really is the actions of specific individuals, rather than their choice of vehicle. Roads are dangerous for all users. If you want to maximise your survival chances, make yourself as visible as possible and assume everyone else is out to get you. :D

This may add fat to the fire:

The maximum penalty for careless cycling is a £1,000 fine. For dangerous cycling it is £2,500. By contrast, someone convicted of careless driving faces a maximum fine of £2,500 and possible disqualification, whereas a person found guilty of dangerous driving is automatically disqualified and can be sent to prison for up to two years. 

There is a reluctance for the courts -or CPS -to consider dangerous driving rather than careless driving some claim because of that penalty .

It also centres on what is careless and what is dangerous.

are you getting at me? :-) :-)

a Honda Pan European is NOT a mobility scooter ! :-) :-)

And what about mobility scooters! Some people ride them like there is no tomorrow. ;)

Don't get me started on mobility scooters! I've been run off the pavement and into the gutter on more than one by an aggressive mad old biddy on one of those things. I swear she's had the thing ''tuned'' the speeds it gets up to! :O

are you getting at me? :-) :-)

a Honda Pan European is NOT a mobility scooter ! :-) :-)

John,

I thought you had a nice pink one!  :tongue:

Don't get me started on mobility scooters! I've been run off the pavement and into the gutter on more than one by an aggressive mad old biddy on one of those things. I swear she's had the thing ''tuned'' the speeds it gets up to! :O

They can go at up to 20mph I believe ...

You're never safe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2597659/Grandmother-killed-in-mobility-scooter-hit-and-run.html

she was 84. ,,,,so not much longer to go anyway.