Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

05/09/13 - Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

Who will win?   17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos
    • Draw

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

164 posts in this topic

And we beat you in the knock out match in the play offs. Wigan were very worthy winners that year, having also been minor premiers. The last true champions, some - though not I - would argue.

And we beat you in the knock out match in the play offs. Wigan were very worthy winners that year, having also been minor premiers. The last true champions, some - though not I - would argue.

I'm not sure why your arguing with me I agree with you.

Ok your tactics in that season were very questionable,but I gave my point of view ,that season 2010 That Leeds team were potentionally at their best apart from 2005 when they didn't do themsleves justice.However In 2010 they were at their peak and injuries took their toll and Wigan won with their questionable tactics.Not complainig that's how it goes,but Wigan are not in the same SL league status as Bulls Saints or even Leeds

You just sound bitter, my side has had the nouse and special players to make sure they beat the right teams at the right time and that's why they've been champions 6 times. Walloping teams in may is all very well but meaningless.

You talk about stamina surely the team that actually makes it to the GF and wins has the best stamina as they don't burn out at the end when it actually counts.

Not quite true.  Pretty much all of Leeds' key players have had spells on the sidelines this season and even if injury hadn't gotten them then squad rotation would.  Leeds notoriously play large parts of the season in an unspectacular fashion and aim up towards the end.  That isn't stamina; that's just reserving energy, which is an entirely different beast.  Leeds were the first to play the system and subsequently Wire and Wigan have too.  Even Saints may have done to some degree (although hampered by no halfbacks and long term injuries to Robes) as Nathan Brown appeared to have free reign to do what his predecessors never could and mess around with squad rotation on pretty much a weekly basis, even when injuries didn't dictate, thus undermining our league performances but storing up energy for later in the season.

Hopefully, with this much talked about but as yet not confirmed league restructure, such tactics won't wash because (a ) there will be P&R to worry about and (b ) there will be fewer play off places relative to teams in the league thus discouraging clubs from adopting such tactics and making the season a bit more interesting and cost effective for the spectator.

Not quite true. Pretty much all of Leeds' key players have had spells on the sidelines this season and even if injury hadn't gotten them then squad rotation would. Leeds notoriously play large parts of the season in an unspectacular fashion and aim up towards the end. That isn't stamina; that's just reserving energy, which is an entirely different beast. Leeds were the first to play the system and subsequently Wire and Wigan have too. Even Saints may have done to some degree (although hampered by no halfbacks and long term injuries to Robes) as Nathan Brown appeared to have free reign to do what his predecessors never could and mess around with squad rotation on pretty much a weekly basis, even when injuries didn't dictate, thus undermining our league performances but storing up energy for later in the season.

Hopefully, with this much talked about but as yet not confirmed league restructure, such tactics won't wash because (a ) there will be P&R to worry about and (b ) there will be fewer play off places relative to teams in the league thus discouraging clubs from adopting such tactics and making the season a bit more interesting and cost effective for the spectator.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Saints win the Comp this year.Although I don't believe teams and Leeds in particular go out to take it easy

Not quite true. Pretty much all of Leeds' key players have had spells on the sidelines this season and even if injury hadn't gotten them then squad rotation would. Leeds notoriously play large parts of the season in an unspectacular fashion and aim up towards the end. That isn't stamina; that's just reserving energy, which is an entirely different beast. Leeds were the first to play the system and subsequently Wire and Wigan have too. Even Saints may have done to some degree (although hampered by no halfbacks and long term injuries to Robes) as Nathan Brown appeared to have free reign to do what his predecessors never could and mess around with squad rotation on pretty much a weekly basis, even when injuries didn't dictate, thus undermining our league performances but storing up energy for later in the season.

Rubbish, if Leeds play parts of the season in unspectacular fashion and finish 3rd (you conveniently ignore the seasons they finished in the top 2) then what did the teams below them do? Including you're own

Not quite true.  Pretty much all of Leeds' key players have had spells on the sidelines this season and even if injury hadn't gotten them then squad rotation would.  Leeds notoriously play large parts of the season in an unspectacular fashion and aim up towards the end.  That isn't stamina; that's just reserving energy, which is an entirely different beast.  Leeds were the first to play the system and subsequently Wire and Wigan have too.  Even Saints may have done to some degree (although hampered by no halfbacks and long term injuries to Robes) as Nathan Brown appeared to have free reign to do what his predecessors never could and mess around with squad rotation on pretty much a weekly basis, even when injuries didn't dictate, thus undermining our league performances but storing up energy for later in the season.

In fact, Leeds don't do squad rotation. It's part of the formula of their success. That formula is very sophisticated and goes far beyond throwing a few matches here and there. Other teams have been unable to copy it.

Criticism of tactics in sport that win a competition within the rules is worthless.

Criticism of tactics in sport that win a competition within the rules is worthless.

What a daft thing to say.  If that were the case then rules would never change.

What a daft thing to say. If that were the case then rules would never change.

I think fetlar means it's pointless criticising (see how I spelt that with an 's' and not a 'z' people) a team whose tactics win the competition but don't break the rules of the competition. I can't argue with him either. Basically the end justifies the means as long as the rules aren't broken.

I think fetlar means it's pointless criticising (see how I spelt that with an 's' and not a 'z' people) a team whose tactics win the competition but don't break the rules of the competition. I can't argue with him either. Basically the end justifies the means as long as the rules aren't broken.

Exactly. The rules might be wrong but the team who wins by them is not. To confuse the two is ... daft.

As has been stated,Leeds don't do squad rotation.I would imagine that teams actually set out to top the table not to "reserve energy" as you put it.

Wigan win a match = Rugby League fans moan about Wigan winning everything, we need new names on trophies etc.

Wigan lose a match = Rugby League fans moan and accuse them of throwing the game.

Wigan draw a match = Rugby League fans moan about the referee.

Wigan win a match = Rugby League fans moan about Wigan winning everything, we need new names on trophies etc.

Wigan lose a match = Rugby League fans moan and accuse them of throwing the game.

Wigan draw a match = Rugby League fans moan about the referee.

This.