Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Les Tonks Sidestep

Terry Clawson

28 posts in this topic

Just been told that Terry Clawson has passed away, although I've not seen it confirmed anywhere yet.

it's in obituary column in todays pont n cas

Very sad indeed, another great gone to the big rugby pitch in the sky, condolences to the family

Very sad news my lasting memory was of Terry playing for GB in a test match in Australia and meeting big Arnie Beetson head on in a tackle. Terry was first up, looked down at Arnie and said " What's up with her ?" He then hid behind two players and bent double in pain but no Ausie saw him. God bless and rest in peace big man.

He was a brilliant player, if only we could have his drive and passion today.....Keep those legs a pumping, wherever you are.......

All Rovers fans should read his book and then you realise what a true Rovers legend he was and his love for Rovers comes across loud and clear

It makes you realise how mortal we all are, because Terry was indestructable!

In the very early sixties you didn't recover easily from TB, you were lucky to come out of it alive! To have such a long, distinguished professional rugby career after such a debilitating disease was truly remarkable, and proof that he was a man apart. It may have been that he once stared death in the face, but nothing daunted him on the pitch.

I never knew him personally, but I hear he was a natural comedian with a very dry sense of humour.

RIP Terry......A true legend! 

Yes a great player. One of my memories is of Mal Dixon wiping the ball on his shirt before Terry took a kick. I wonder if Mal kepf that  shirt. RIP.

All Rovers fans should read his book and then you realise what a true Rovers legend he was and his love for Rovers comes across loud and clear

Whats his book called please and is it for sale at your ground ? Remember Terry well, mainly at Leeds, a great character r.i.p.

Whats his book called please and is it for sale at your ground ? Remember Terry well, mainly at Leeds, a great character r.i.p.

All the Wrong Moves. Don't know if you can still get it.

I asked in club shop last Saturday - didn't seem to know where a copy could be found.

If anyone knows please post.

Stick it into Google or the Amazon search box.  Sometimes you can get lucky with second hand copies.

My Cousin attended Terry's funeral, he said it was a wonderful service and looking around at those in attendance he stated that you could have picked a Great Britain team from yesteryear from them

Terry's book "All The Wrong Moves" was self published with assistance from Steve Truelove at the now defunct Yorkshire Art Circus. According to what Steve told me when I was attending one of his classes there, all the copies were sold and there was still a small demand, but Terry decided not to go for a re-print as it wasn't cost effective to print just a few hundred. So that is why used copies are so expensive. Maybe if there was enough demand his family would consider a second edition?

If anyone has a copy out there, it's worth a bob or two!

As a kid, I remember watching a VHS copy of the classic Leeds-Leigh final cup final from 1971 with Grandad, and thinking how utterly terrifying Terry Clawson and Tony Fisher looked. The contemporary game might be played by tough lads, but the guys back then were proper 'hard men'.

As a kid, I remember watching a VHS copy of the classic Leeds-Leigh final cup final from 1971 with Grandad, and thinking how utterly terrifying Terry Clawson and Tony Fisher looked. The contemporary game might be played by tough lads, but the guys back then were proper 'hard men'.

Terry didn't play in the 71 final, he signed for leeds from Hull K R the following season, & played in the 72 final, loosing to St Helen's 16 13. Terry kicked 5 goals.