Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walter sobchak

England's backs

163 posts in this topic

sinfield at 9 instead of roby, lunt, and houghton???? i can hear the australians laughing already...

Add his kicking game,both from hand and place kicking,seems a decent call.

Add his kicking game,both from hand and place kicking,seems a decent call.

It is a strange one as Sinfield offers so much in terms of controlling a game but the running threat from half back really needs to be there. I think dipping in and out of hooker for spells really solves the problem. I don't watch Leeds all the time but they seem to be doing that quite a bit lately.

ever heard of stefan ratchford or joe mellor?????

Yep, I've heard of them but limited squad places and all that. With jack reed now a doubt for the world cup stefan ratchford is pushed up the pecking order.

sinfield at 9 instead of roby, lunt, and houghton???? i can hear the australians laughing already...

He's playing whether you like it or not. If he's at 9 his flaws get less exposed at Hooker.

If I was choosing my team I'd have Widdop at 6, Brough at 7 with Lunt starting at 9 interchanging with Danny Houghton.

But we have to be realistic here.

The fact that he can play 3 positions, can nail goalkicks, and his tactical kicking is quite good plus his leadership qualities are enough to justify Sinfield's inclusion. His best games in an England shirt have been from the no 9 shirt.

Is Charnley the real deal.? I have only ever seen him play on TV but he appears to get quite a few easy scores from playing in the Wigan team when they were dominating.

I like McGilvray at Huddersfield and particularly when paired up with Cudjoe as a right side tandem. There is a history of centres and wingers working as a duo with an understanding of each others play being particularly effective. Ashton and Boston were both brilliant players in their own right but when playing together had an almost telepathic understanding and were doubly dangerous. Loughlin and Quirk at Saints were also very good together.

Overall, I am impressed with the quantity and quality of players available to England. in the past decade we have struggled to fill out a first choice 13 with players on occasions and this is definitely not the case at present. It a crying shame Brough is not available to really push us to being a competitive team that could really threaten the Aussies and Kiwis. In any event this tournament should be great.

I would go as far as to state that your comparison made concerning the unarguable and uncanny understanding that Ashton and Boston definitely did have, could even in the wildest of dreams be attributed to the, er supposed one that you imagine Cudjoe and McGilvray possess! 

That almost certainly ranks very highly with the worst comparisons ever envisaged.

Should you want to witness a mismatch of abilities ( attack and defence, the latter especially) then I would contend that it would be prudent, to match whatever Centre/wing combination the Aussies pick against them.  

The forwards we choose will V OZ and NZ have to give the performances of their lives, why? Because they are, in all probability, going to have to carry the backs with only one or two exceptions.

Therefore the inclusion of the down under players is a must simply for the reason that they are compatible with what is required to compete at NRL levels and standards of play.

In that case I would be looking at the form players other than those playing in the NRL that will constitute those from S/L that supplement them, plus those that have proven that they have the stamina and ability to sustain themselves at this the highest level of R/L.

Westwood has yet to have a poor or mediocre game V Oz, he always figures well and never takes a backward step. Similarly so does Crabtree and he would be an inclusion for me barring injury also.

If O'Loughlin is fit then he too would be automatic at L/F and all the talk on hookers going on seems to have omitted the top form hooker certainly if not the forward in the S/L this season, Mickey Higham.

When he did play V Oz he worried them to death and I can recall someone from the Aussie camp remarking that he was brilliant against them when he did play, I am amazed that no one has even mentioned Higham in the context of hookers on display in S/L this last season as he has had a very good one indeed.

Morley should not be in contention nbor should Ellis whose form has been at best mediocre over the entire season when he has played save for the odd game,

Graham

Higham

Burgess G

Westwood

Burgess S

O'Loughlin

Crabtree

Burgess T

Roby/Lunt/Houghton

Farrell

In a squad you are going to have maybe 25 players, so some flexibility will be needed.

I'd go

Fullbacks: Tomkins, Hardaker

Wings: Charnley, Hall

Centres: Cudjoe, Watkins, Reed

Halves: Sinfield, Widdop, Chase

Hookers: Lunt, Roby

Then that leaves 13 forward spots

FR: Graham, Crabtree, Mossop, G Burgess, C Hill, T Burgess, L Burgess

SR/LF: Kirkmond, O'Loughlin, Ferres, Farrell, S Burgess, J Westerman

Would anybody else consider having Shenton in the squad? I haven't seen much of Castleford this year but he appears to have been in good form for them. He's solid defensively and has a tendency to perform in big games. I'm not saying that I'd definitely have him in the squad as their are more dangerous players available but he's still very much in my mind when thinking of potential line ups.   

In a squad you are going to have maybe 25 players, so some flexibility will be needed.

I'd go

Fullbacks: Tomkins, Hardaker

Wings: Charnley, Hall

Centres: Cudjoe, Watkins, Reed

Halves: Sinfield, Widdop, Chase

Hookers: Lunt, Roby

Then that leaves 13 forward spots

FR: Graham, Crabtree, Mossop, G Burgess, C Hill, T Burgess, L Burgess

SR/LF: Kirkmond, O'Loughlin, Ferres, Farrell, S Burgess, J Westerman

I like the bulk of that squad. Although I think 7 props is one too many. I would have Stefan Ratchford as a utility back in that place instead with Chris Hill dropping out. I think if we want to win, Hock is worth the risk, likely in place of the small Farrell who's form has faded over the season. And I assume you have picked Westerman as a spelling error instead of Westwood....

I can only assume Oracle hasn't ever seen Crabtree play for England, and certainly not against Aus where he has looked as good a forward as any on the field

Of course, he plays for the Giants so he must only be "workmanlike"

You assume wrong I have seen him play regularly, and now having moved to Australia and watching NRL weekly, I still don't believe he is good enough, nor westwood.

Prop wise, ahead of him are the Bugess boys (sam, George and tom), Graham, Hill and Walmsley for me - that's 6 props to pick from

Ahead of Westwood for the 2nd row spot for me are the likes of Hock, Ellis and O'Loughlin - hence he wouldn't get a look in either

I can't believe we haven't had a mention of Dream Team stars like Crooks, Lineham and Matty Smith.

I can't believe we haven't had a mention of Dream Team stars like Crooks, Lineham and Matty Smith.

DNFTT

Maybe a year too early for Lineham and Crooks? though various Hull fans I spoke to at the Magic Weekend and Wembley have said they have been great this season.

Matty Smith is and interesting one, I've always thought to beat the Aussies we need to have something different, something they can't plan for. I thought that may be Chase when they picked him but not so far. Maybe Smith is the answer.

Smith has had a great season for Wigan. He has been consistently one of the better players. He clearly has a good kicking game as seen in the CC final and will happily take the line on. I would have him in the squad even just as back up.

Here's my 17 I'd like to see if everybody's available:

1. Tomkins

2. Charnley

3. Watkins

4. Reed

5. Hall

6. Widdop

7. Robinson

8. Graham

9. Roby

10. Mossop/hill

11. S. burgess

12. Westwood

13. O'loughlin

14. Burrow

15. G. Burgess

16. Crabtree

17. Hock

you've missed out the england captain!

seriously i don't know why people bother leaving him out or whinging about it??? kevin sinfield is going to be in the halves for the world cup...get over it!

seriously i don't know why people bother leaving him out or whinging about???

Because they are picking their 17 and not McNamara's 17.

Also I don't get why people are so quick to have a go at JJB and Ablett, JJB gave Farrell a lesson in second row play last Thursday all this having just returned from a spell on the sidelines with an injury, Ablett has always produced the goods when it's mattered for Leeds. I'm not saying they should be first choice but to dismiss them as some kind of joke selection shows either club bias or a lack of knowledge of the game.

Also I don't get why people are so quick to have a go at JJB and Ablett, JJB gave Farrell a lesson in second row play last Thursday all this having just returned from a spell on the sidelines with an injury, Ablett has always produced the goods when it's mattered for Leeds. I'm not saying they should be first choice but to dismiss them as some kind of joke selection shows either club bias or a lack of knowledge of the game.

No it doesn't.

It just shows that people think that on a whole they are nothing but slightly above average at best and not international class.

But because they're from Leeds, you obviously have to give them a cuddle and defend them at every opportunity ;)

No it doesn't.

It just shows that people think that on a whole they are nothing but slightly above average at best and not international class.

But because they're from Leeds, you obviously have to give them a cuddle and defend them at every opportunity ;)

Give over, I wouldn't have them in the team, maybe in the squad, all I am saying is they are no where near as bad as people on here seem to think its clever to point out. As I said both totally outplayed Farrell on Thursday a player that people seem to think is good enough.

You would do the same for players from your club.

Give over, I wouldn't have them in the team, maybe in the squad, all I am saying is they are no where near as bad as people on here seem to think its clever to point out. As I said both totally outplayed Farrell on Thursday a player that people seem to think is good enough.

You would do the same for players from your club.

People were suggesting Briscoe earlier in the season, who I said hasn't been good enough. So no, I wouldn't and haven't.

You can't point to one game were they played well as some kind of benchmark against the other and call that an argument. What about all the average games they've had? And below average?

It's the fact that seem to get picked every year despite ever doing anything special that makes people point it out.

People were suggesting Briscoe earlier in the season, who I said hasn't been good enough. So no, I wouldn't and haven't.

You can't point to one game were they played well as some kind of benchmark against the other and call that an argument. What about all the average games they've had? And below average?

It's the fact that seem to get picked every year despite ever doing anything special that makes people point it out.

The point is they haven't been nearly as bad as people point out. jJB especially has always given a good account if himself for England but for some reason it doesn't register, he has played aswell if not better than player like Ellis (for his country) but people see him as a joke along with Ablett.

You mention Briscoe I've never seen anyone suggest he simply isn't good enough just that he's had an off season (which im sure you'll agree with) Ablett and JJB have had great seasons for their club. Again I'm not saying they should be first choice for England but they are not a joke selection that people on here make out