Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jack Reed doubt for World Cup

35 posts in this topic

The Brisbane Broncos have revealed that Reed has been playing with the injury for the last six weeks.

Reed was originally ruled out for six weeks after his dislocated his collarbone, but he went against advice from doctors and returned to action well ahead of schedule.

But the Broncos have admitted the injury did not have time to heal properly, and his collarbone continued to dislocate in almost every NRL game that he played.

we have better centres in super league who are eligible for england...........watkins, cudjoe, atkins, goulding just four that spring to mind. and then there is stefan ratchford..

Watkins and Cudjoe probably deserve the centre spots for England if fit. But Reed would be third choice for sure.

I personally would have had Reed over Watkins.

reed has been abyssmal this season. watkins is s class centre who would walk into almost any team in the world.

reed has been abyssmal this season. watkins is s class centre who would walk into almost any team in the world.

I disagree, looking good against Widnes, Salford and Cas etc are hardly benchmarks, when he has a few Tests under his belt we will see if he is up to it.

I disagree, looking good against Widnes, Salford and Cas etc are hardly benchmarks, when he has a few Tests under his belt we will see if he is up to it.

If you look at his performances against Manly (2012) and Melbourne (2013) I think you will find he was pretty dominant also.

Last week Gus Gould called Jack Reed the best defensive centre in the NRL, and that he had a strong season in a poor Broncos team.

If fit he's an England starter for me, alongside Watkins.

I would have Reed and Cudjoe. I haven't seen much of Watkins this year but when I have seen him I haven't been overly impressed with his defence.

If you look at his performances against Manly (2012) and Melbourne (2013) I think you will find he was pretty dominant also.

What do World Club Challenges really mean?

They are trial pre season games that do not mean much at all to Australian Clubs unlike the "Scalps" that English clubs see them as.

He was not that dominant in 2013, Leeds lost and Watkins was at Fullback.

kallum watkins is a world class centre who has shone against all levels of opponents. including the last 2 nrl grand final winners......

Bottom line VW is ,if he doesn't play in the NRL,he isn't good enough.Simple as that.

kallum watkins is a world class centre who has shone against all levels of opponents. including the last 2 nrl grand final winners......

Did he do that in a meaningful match?

The WCC is an exhibition game with every single benefit in England's favour, how serious are the visitors when they have to turn out on a contractual  obligation but don't really think its a level playing field or give a Rats and still win 4 from the last 5 games, most against Leeds.

In the last game he played at Fullback do how does that line him up as a Centre?

Bottom line VW is ,if he doesn't play in the NRL,he isn't good enough.Simple as that.

No that is not correct,

If he was any good in a team (England) that is bereft of quality Centres he would have played more than one Test match as he approaches age 22.

Leeds think he is that good of a centre they have played him on the Wing this season.

What does that say? he is a utility, top players do not get moved from their best spot at Club level, the team and selections move around them.

No that is not correct,

If he was any good in a team (England) that is bereft of quality Centres he would have played more than one Test match as he approaches age 22.

Leeds think he is that good of a centre they have played him on the Wing this season.

What does that say? he is a utility, top players do not get moved from their best spot at Club level, the team and selections move around them.

Given his early career had been dogged by long term injuries,it's not surprising really is it.So a young player plays some games at full back,that makes him a utility does it,what about Lockyer or Widdop,they didn't start of at 6 did they,are they utility players too?

What do World Club Challenges really mean?

They are trial pre season games that do not mean much at all to Australian Clubs unlike the "Scalps" that English clubs see them as.

He was not that dominant in 2013, Leeds lost and Watkins was at Fullback.

Put it this way, he carved Manly to shreds and did well against Melbourne out of position. These are not Castleford, Salford or Widnes and ask Melbourne if they took it seriously (they brought their full squad across as did Manly).

I would imagine he would have no trouble carving up the paper-thin defences of Parramatta and Wests either. He can only play what's in front of him. The same can be said of the Knights yesterday and Melbourne a couple of weeks ago :)

Did he do that in a meaningful match?

The WCC is an exhibition game with every single benefit in England's favour, how serious are the visitors when they have to turn out on a contractual  obligation but don't really think its a level playing field or give a Rats and still win 4 from the last 5 games, most against Leeds.

In the last game he played at Fullback do how does that line him up as a Centre?

Inglis will be centre at the WC. He has played all season at full-back.

No that is not correct,

Leeds have had plenty of injuries this season and Watkins can play centre, wing or fullback

Inglis will be centre at the WC. He has played all season at full-back.

Andy says the best players don't get moved from their club positions so that must mean Inglis is an average utility player.

Inglis has not played at Centre, Wing and fullback this year has he?

Darius Boyd, Jarryd Hayne, Brent Tate ...... reel 'em in boys :)

I think any defensive deficiencies Watkins may have are outweighed by the dynamism he brings in attack. I assume people advocating selecting Jack Reed over him are saying they value defense much more highly than attack? Because Reed is a bit of a plodder with ball in hand and is certainly a long way behind Watkins.

No that is not correct,

Like Greg Inglis playing centre and full back for instance. Is he not a top player then by your stupid definition.

Reed is our best available centre.  He'll be a major loss if he's not available.  Excellent defensively and offers a significant threat under the high ball on attack.  Watkins is a fantastic athlete but has defensive weaknesses.  He's better than Cudjoe but Watkins is the one who the Aussies will target if he's selected unless of course Cudjoe is also chosen in which case they'll be spoilt for choice.

Reed is our best available centre.  He'll be a major loss if he's not available.  Excellent defensively and offers a significant threat under the high ball on attack.  Watkins is a fantastic athlete but has defensive weaknesses.  He's better than Cudjoe but Watkins is the one who the Aussies will target if he's selected unless of course Cudjoe is also chosen in which case they'll be spoilt for choice.

have to agree, reed is number 1 choice at centre when it comes down to business, the aussies will make Watkins and cudjoe look like clown school, their confidence will be shot with missed tackles and missed high balls under pressure and the lack of attacking space.