Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

handsworth

Eagles' new ground?

25 posts in this topic

Having seen Mark Aston's statement on the Eagles' website it doesn't look good for staying in Sheffield next season - I wonder if anyone at the club has looked into ground sharing with Handsworth Parramores FC at Oliver's Mount next to the Parkway at Handsworth.  It sounds like money is being put into develop the ground there, so it might be an option to look into??

How long is it ?  Needs to be at least 100 metres dead ball line to dead ball line - plus some run off before the perimeter fence.  If it's not that, it's a non-starter.

Have we checked out Sheffield F C's ground at Dronfield, I advocated this years ago, if it's ok for the first soccer team ever, with a Sheffield name to play there.   What is wrong with us playing there?   It has a Sheffield postmark........

Have we checked out Sheffield F C's ground at Dronfield, I advocated this years ago, if it's ok for the first soccer team ever, with a Sheffield name to play there.   What is wrong with us playing there?   It has a Sheffield postmark........

The pitch is not long enough for Rugby league so it's a non starter

I believe so yes, I think it is has the same problem as dronfield with the pitch not being long enough though i'm not 100% on that one 

also there may have been problems with the cricket pitch bang next to it with both being summer sports 

The playing surface at Stocksbridge looks massive, it only has capacity for 3,500 fans so may not be big enough for our requirements......

I didn't know it held as many as 3500, that would be big enough for us at the minute as the RFL requirement on minimum capacity for the championship is 3000 

The capacity at owlerton is around 3500ish because the far side open terrace is condemned and with the club saying this is the only option left to stay in sheffield they must have looked at stocksbridge I'm sure I saw it somewhere that they have.

Regarding sharing with the cricket club thats there i know rotherham titans RU have problems sharing at clifton lane and is far from ideal  

It's about time the RFL lived in the real world! There's only 3 clubs in the Championship with any hope of getting more than 3,000 for a normal home game, so let's have a more realistic figure, as long as the facilities are good enough! Big cup games can always be moved to another venue if there's any likelihood of exceeding the capacity.

From what I have been told the new development at Oliver's Mount will see the football pitch and stands built over the cricket pitch, so there should be plenty of room. The reason Handsworth had to drop out of step 5 of the non-league pyramid was due to the changing rooms being too far away from the football pitch, which will now be solved with the development over the cricket side.

Only way to find out if it could be a goer is for someone at the Eagles to ask 'um.

I believe so yes, I think it is has the same problem as dronfield with the pitch not being long enough though i'm not 100% on that one 

also there may have been problems with the cricket pitch bang next to it with both being summer sports 

With due respect there is a cricket pitch right at the side of our ground at Batley and it doesn't cause any problems. I can only remember once, a long time ago, that a cricket ball appeared on the Rugby pitch during a game.

Good luck with your search, for what it's worth you are being treated very very shabbily by the council.

A Batley Bulldog.

With due respect there is a cricket pitch right at the side of our ground at Batley and it doesn't cause any problems. I can only remember once, a long time ago, that a cricket ball appeared on the Rugby pitch during a game.

Good luck with your search, for what it's worth you are being treated very very shabbily by the council.

A Batley Bulldog.

Thanks for your thoughts but there's a difference between a cricket ground being across the road and one in the same arena.  Like comparing apples with oranges.

Thanks for your thoughts but there's a difference between a cricket ground being across the road and one in the same arena.  Like comparing apples with oranges.

Ah I see, you mean it's like the old Bramall Lane with one side open to the cricket pitch. I see where you are coming from. Of course at the 'Mount' the cricket pitch is behind the Popular stand. So just get the council to build a stand there. Probably not me thinks.

Good luck.

Colinb.

ps. We do have some funny looking apples in Batley that do look like oranges ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Ah I see, you mean it's like the old Bramall Lane with one side open to the cricket pitch. I see where you are coming from. Of course at the 'Mount' the cricket pitch is behind the Popular stand. So just get the council to build a stand there. Probably not me thinks.

Good luck.

Colinb.

ps. We do have some funny looking apples in Batley that do look like oranges ;)

Yeah - they'll be Orange Pippins. :laugh:

I hear work on the pitch at Owlerton has started and things are looking more promising for us to be there next season 

Anyone know/heard anymore?

I hear work on the pitch at Owlerton has started and things are looking more promising for us to be there next season 

It'll be reyt.

i were at owlerton yesterday and the pitch is coverd with tons of red shale thats very sharp,needs returfing/or new  plastic pitch and its also lost 30 foot off its width for car run offs and at least 40 off length so a none starter. lights for racing are naff so no good for rugby, viewing is of for the racing but pitch is too far away.hope the games are on premier sports as its a no go for fans.

i were at owlerton yesterday and the pitch is coverd with tons of red shale thats very sharp,needs returfing/or new  plastic pitch and its also lost 30 foot off its width for car run offs and at least 40 off length so a none starter. lights for racing are naff so no good for rugby, viewing is of for the racing but pitch is too far away.hope the games are on premier sports as its a no go for fans.

I was at Owlerton yesterday, no sign of red shale!

I did not take a tape measure but we were assured that the RFL had given their approval to the pitch

There are potential issues with lighting, currently the plans include an earlier kick-off on Sundays and temporary lighting for night matches.  

It is good to see the Rugby League community is rallying round when the most successful club outside Super League suffers a minor problem.

I was at Owlerton yesterday, no sign of red shale!

I did not take a tape measure but we were assured that the RFL had given their approval to the pitch

There are potential issues with lighting, currently the plans include an earlier kick-off on Sundays and temporary lighting for night matches.  

It is good to see the Rugby League community is rallying round when the most successful club outside Super League suffers a minor problem.

sorry for late reply i must a missed this one. not wishing to fall out with anyone but i did walk over pitch a couple a times and if you dig your heal in its a foot deep in shale in places due to years of races cars and tractors/graders running over and been stored on the pitch. have a look at picture on stoxnet forum in the phot gallery area for november meet and you can see yourself the pitch is still redish orange due the the depth of shale still on the pitch, i was mentioned the pitch was going to be worked on or even replaced for games in march. its not   dig at anyone were just an update at the time. am sure it wont do any good to have your first game and the oppostion get cut to shreds in the tackle,???when is your first game at owlerton,i remember going first time round when it was well lush and proptedted from the racing same as northern were at odsal years back.all the best for 2014

http://photos.stoxnet.com/ .

I really don't think the Eagles would risk players welfare with a dangerous pitch, it has been a while since November!

The Eagles first game is 16th Feb against Rochdale, you will be very welcome.

Like any other pitch it will have to pass an inspection by the referee before any game can be played on it. I'm sure the ground staff have been and will be working hard to ensure the pitch is in the best possible condition for the start of the new season. Sheffield are a top professional club and I very much doubt there will be a problem

Like any other pitch it will have to pass an inspection by the referee before any game can be played on it. I'm sure the ground staff have been and will be working hard to ensure the pitch is in the best possible condition for the start of the new season. Sheffield are a top professional club and I very much doubt there will be a problem

i sure hope your right, not many pitch's have had 25 years a  stockcars and speedway racing round it since you last played their, best bet would be to have a friendly at owlerton or maybe even a youth game or a training session before the first game to make sure. otherwise have plenty of bandaids on hand fella.lol.

all the best for 2014 besides when your at the mount. :hunter: