Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future is League

If we could start from scratch

41 posts in this topic

Are we allowed to use existing teams?

Can one area have more than one club??

You can use existing teams. One area can have more than one club.

Starting from scratch i would go for the 12 biggest cities in the UK. That would give Rugby League a nationwide spread. On abroader note i would also have 12 championship clubs in them cites as well.

But I'd have

Wigan

Warrington

Leeds

Bradford

Saint Helens

Wakefield

Castleford

Hull x2

Huddersfield

Salford

Widnes

*dons tin... er, flat cap*

There'd be one team about 50 yards from my house next to a cracking pub.

And 11 others.

Bradford

London

St Helens

Wigan

Leeds

Salford

Halifax

Sheffield

Warrington

Castleford

Paris

Oldham

in that order...

London 1

London 2

Nottingham

Birmingham

Cardiff

Edinburgh

Toulouse

Catalan

Leeds

Hull

Manchester

Newcastle

London (x2)

Bristol

Birmingham

Manchester

Liverpool

Sheffield

Leeds

Newcastle

Glasgow

Cardiff

Belfast

You can use existing teams. One area can have more than one club.

Starting from scratch i would go for the 12 biggest cities in the UK. That would give Rugby League a nationwide spread. On abroader note i would also have 12 championship clubs in them cites as well.

What about a supporter base in those 12 BIG cities.

Part of RL's problem is that too many people fantasise about the what ifs.  We've got what we've got, live with it and channel your energy into improving that.

Well if it's the Super league that only limits Europe. So if you want the most commercially attractive league you'd probably go.

London x 2

Manchester

Paris

Madrid

Berlin

Rome

Vienna

Budapest

Barcelona

Bucharest

Munich

Milan

I'd take what we have over that though any day.

Taking the thread at its most literal, going back to 1895, I'd be busting a nut to get the Welsh on board as well as the midlands clubs.  The RFU were pushing clubs to the limit in many areas and were really quite unpopular but the fledgling NU just didn't have enough about it to go get the other clubs that were in a bit of trouble at the time.

It's really not outside the bounds of probability that the NU could have made the rump of the RFU led union the minority code of rugby in Britain, never mind England.  A few olive branches to the west country and south-west sides and there may have been a quiet coup down that way as well.  The code of union might have died a slow lingering death pretending to be amateur leaving a fully competitive professional global code of rugby, formerly called the Northern Union; we may have even allowed the amateur union to associate with us as the amateur side of rugby, if they could swallow their pride.

So... my revisionist Super League would be:

2 x London Clubs, probably Harlequins and Saracens

Bradford

Leeds

St Helens

Wigan

Hull FC

Gloucester

Leicester

Bath

Cardiff

Swansea

No need for a French rugby league side as they'd have their own fully pro league...

id have two conferences of 10 teams, one british, one french, with potential to go to 12 each.

Play your own conference home and away, the cross conference teams once, 5 home, 5 away. 

Pre season tournaments against those left in the RFL system, WITH TROPHIES, proper tournaments, not friendlies.

28 game  regular season, plus pre season tournament and challenge cup if allowed.

Warrington (Cheshire)

St Helens (Merseyside)

Wigan (Lancashire)

Leeds (W Yorks)

Hull FC (E Yorks)

Sheffield (Playing in Derbyshire also)

Salford (Manchester region)

London (Not the broncos)

Cumbria (Combined, as Cumbria)

Gateshead (Borders and county durham)

Added teams 

Crusaders once they build

South Wales/Scotland/Ireland team, no real preference.

French, summer league so the Elite remains

Regional teams

Cote de azure

Rhone alps

Midi pyrenees

Languedoc Rousillon (Aude)

Catalan region (Perpignan south)

Plays de la loire

Aquitaine

Illes de france

Limousin/Auvergne

Turin

Expansion teams to the north of france or second italian

Winner is the league champ of that country, playoff for champs of europe, straight shootout.

1 for a win, 0 for a loss or a draw, -1 for a loss by more than 24 points (Sliding to 12 points more than the average margin season on season)

Id also bring back the regal trophy under a different guise, you have to beat the holders at home to win it. It rotates through the season, you get the team name on the trophy if you defend it more than once. Regal trophy playing on the Englishmans hoome is his castle idea.

Taking the thread at its most literal, going back to 1895, I'd be busting a nut to get the Welsh on board as well as the midlands clubs. The RFU were pushing clubs to the limit in many areas and were really quite unpopular but the fledgling NU just didn't have enough about it to go get the other clubs that were in a bit of trouble at the time.

It's really not outside the bounds of probability that the NU could have made the rump of the RFU led union the minority code of rugby in Britain, never mind England. A few olive branches to the west country and south-west sides and there may have been a quiet coup down that way as well. The code of union might have died a slow lingering death pretending to be amateur leaving a fully competitive professional global code of rugby, formerly called the Northern Union; we may have even allowed the amateur union to associate with us as the amateur side of rugby, if they could swallow their pride.

Bradford

Leeds

St Helens

Wigan

Hull FC

Gloucester

Leicester

Bath

Cardiff

Swansea

No need for a French rugby league side as they'd have their own fully pro league...

I like your idea of allowing the rfu to take on the 'barla' role

What about a supporter base in those 12 BIG cities.

We're starting from scratch. Pre 1895. There has been plenty of rumours over the years that pre 1895 some union clubs in the west country and the midlands were paying players. 2 present day big union clubs at least, probably more were ripe for picking to join the Northern Union, if only the men behind the breakaway had been a bit more forceful.

But I'd have

Wigan

Warrington

Leeds

Bradford

Saint Helens

Wakefield

Castleford

Hull x2

Huddersfield

Salford

Widnes

*dons tin... er, flat cap*

You're right to prepare for flak. You've got Salford in but not Fev. No doubt that will be madness for some.

St. Helens Recs

St. Helens RFC

Wigan Football club

Warrington

Widnes

Swinton

Salford

Leigh

Oldham

Rochdale Hornets

Millom

Barrow

Nice geographical spread and no cold away trips into the badlands

There'd be one team about 50 yards from my house next to a cracking pub.

And 11 others.

To be fair this is what I've got with saints and the Phoenix, although more like 500 yard from my house

Taking the thread at its most literal, going back to 1895, I'd be busting a nut to get the Welsh on board as well as the midlands clubs. The RFU were pushing clubs to the limit in many areas and were really quite unpopular but the fledgling NU just didn't have enough about it to go get the other clubs that were in a bit of trouble at the time.

It's really not outside the bounds of probability that the NU could have made the rump of the RFU led union the minority code of rugby in Britain, never mind England. A few olive branches to the west country and south-west sides and there may have been a quiet coup down that way as well. The code of union might have died a slow lingering death pretending to be amateur leaving a fully competitive professional global code of rugby, formerly called the Northern Union; we may have even allowed the amateur union to associate with us as the amateur side of rugby, if they could swallow their pride.

Bradford

Leeds

St Helens

Wigan

Hull FC

Gloucester

Leicester

Bath

Cardiff

Swansea

Pretty much how I see it. Bradford may not be there anymore though. Probably throw in Wasps.

New York

Paris

Sydney

Rio

Moscow

Tokyo

Beijing

Toronto

Barcelona

Auckland

Cardiff

Dubliln

Wigan

this thread is about as ridiculous as you can get.............